Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Environment Artist - Portfolio feedbacks

Dolgaror
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Dolgaror polycounter lvl 8
Hello !

I'm Maxime a french environment artist and i'm trying to get a job in video game industry.
To give a little context, I worked for 2 years (internship and freelance missions) for serious games applications.
I then worked for 3 years as 3D artist instructor in a school.

For roughly 2 months I've been sending applications in video games studios, but did not get much response. I just had some propositions to do freelance missions paid at a price that was far below minimal wage in France.

I'm willing to work on AAA, AA or indie projects, even if the last two feels more interesting to me.

I know this can be a broad subject, but generally speaking do you think my portfolio is good enough to pretend working in video game industry as a junior ? Would you have some advices on what I can improve ?

My artstation : https://www.artstation.com/maximedhamelincourt

Thanks for your time !

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    surprised you can't get any good replies, the work is really nice. suppose it's to do with all those layoffs of late
    I personally think that your work is more then good enough for a position in the industry, just keep on applying
    metro station is my favourite
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    I'm not an environment artist however do recall clicking into your enviro - tavern wip thread and thinking that this artist pretty much knows what they're on about so all I can offer by way of advice as posted above, yeah keep sending out those job applications you've already mentioned it's only been two months?!

Anyway people are still finding work even amidst these uncertain times in the industry. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    The only thing which stands out to me in your portfolio as unfinished is the floor of the Scifi Enviro.It looks really clean  and flat . I wouldn't worry about it though, its a small detail which is fine. Good folio tho, especially for a junior. Good luck on the job hunt. Its tough atm, just keep making more art :)
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Hello Maxime, I see you are interested in full time work. Do you speak English? We're staffing up. Are you familiar with Unity? Really great stuff btw. Hit me up here or on Artstation. 
  • Dolgaror
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Ruz, Sacboi, Ashervisalis. Thanks a lot for your comments. It is a good point for the floor on the scifi environment.
    Metro station was made a few years ago and I loved working on it, inspired by one of my favorite game. So thanks for your words !
    It confort me in the way I'm on the right track to find a job. And yes you are right in the end it have only been 2 month which is not much. But the current events in the industry and the financial pressure made me somewhat worried about finding a job.
  • Dolgaror
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello @pixelpatron , I sent you a message on Artstation. Thanks a lot for reaching me out.  
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Overall looks pretty good, the vending machine is nice
    The rocks on the tavern one are a bit weak and the ground on the sci-fi one is also weak, same as on the other environment
    If you keep doing 1-2 more things you should be in a really good spot
    Dont forget that people overhired for corona and now is a bit of a downturn so maybe it takes a bit