Home General Discussion

Why I failed in the gaming Industry. (also artdump eyy?)

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
wirrexx quad damage

In retrospect, there were several factors contributing to my struggle to establish myself in the gaming industry. I'd attribute it to a 60/40 split, with 60% of the responsibility lying with me and the remaining 40% on the gaming companies I had the "privilege" to work with.

For those familiar with the Polycount community, I've been a silent observer since the days of Perna, EarthQuake, Pedro, Kawe, Eric C, and many others who generously shared their knowledge through daily uploads of help, tips, and tutorials for fellow Polycounters facing challenges.

I absorbed, practiced, and gained invaluable insights. Applying these lessons, I found fulfillment in assisting others. The experience of helping others proved to be a profound learning journey, surpassing my initial expectations. My first professional endeavor involved modeling hard surface assets for a "pretend" game company in Berlin, where the workload far exceeded my initial expectations. Initially tasked with creating assets for a linear gameplay experience, the project's scope ballooned as our leader's ambitions grew unchecked, evolving into an open-world concept. With minimal experience and lack of compensation, coupled with being the sole world builder, the situation became overwhelming.

Repeated assurances of imminent financial support from investors, coupled with promising gameplay features, sustained my hope for four months without income. Eventually, I made the difficult decision to resign, severing ties with the delusional leadership. Despite the cancellation of the project, everyone else received compensation, leaving me empty-handed. It was a disheartening introduction to the gaming industry.

My next employment opportunity was with a mobile gaming company in central Berlin, boasting two successful game releases. Hired to fill in during the lead artist's maternity leave, I soon found myself tasked with cleaning 3D scanned meshes for an undisclosed project. After three months, my contract was terminated due to the project's cancellation by investors. While I was compensated for two months, the third payment was withheld under the pretext of lacking a tax number, despite having received payments previously.

With legal assistance, I pursued the owed payment, which, after nearly two years of persistence, was finally settled with interest. Amidst job hunting and halfway through a German language course, I was offered an art test for a prominent gaming company in Germany. Securing the position, I encountered grueling work hours but found solace in a supportive team environment and invaluable learning experiences. Despite the pandemic-induced layoffs, I cherished over a year of meaningful contribution to a released game.

During my six-month job search, I landed a role in the mobile gaming sector. However, the position of a level builder, devoid of significant 3D modeling tasks, dampened my creative passion. After nearly two years, HR fabricated grounds for termination, leading to an amicable separation.

Reflecting on my journey, I acknowledge my shortcomings. Despite multiple offers from triple-A studios, I prioritized financial stability for my family over career advancement, foregoing opportunities for growth and mentorship. While I have no regrets, I recognize the value of surrounding oneself with peers who challenge and inspire growth.

As I navigate parenthood alongside professional aspirations, I assume full responsibility for my circumstances. Neglecting personal projects and succumbing to boredom hindered my professional development. For aspiring individuals entering the industry, I advocate for proactive engagement in personal projects, embracing imperfection, and honing time management skills to meet industry demands.

In conclusion, my journey serves as a testament to the importance of personal growth, resilience, and self-accountability in navigating the gaming industry's challenges.

And here's some stuff I've been helping other polycounters with over the years. Enjoy

Replies

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
  • wirrexx
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all your contributions, your support is highly valued here!

And thanks for sharing your progression, I think this is helpful for other game developers to be realistic in assessing their own careers. It’s not easy sometimes, and game dev can be a real pressure cooker, with all kinds of bad management practices. Been there done that!

So what’s next for you in your journey, where are you headed? Hope you’re able to keep contributing here, in between things.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Having spent most of my adult life in a game-dev desert, being unable to relocate due to family commitments and ending up working for some really dodgy bastards there are strong echoes of my own experiences here and it's hit me right in the feels.  I was fortunate enough to find a path out but I remember the feelings well. 

I will say that if you spent several years being gainfully employed in the game industry (shitty as the experience might have been) I don't think 'failed' is the word you're looking for. 

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Thanks for all your contributions, your support is highly valued here!

And thanks for sharing your progression, I think this is helpful for other game developers to be realistic in assessing their own careers. It’s not easy sometimes, and game dev can be a real pressure cooker, with all kinds of bad management practices. Been there done that!

So what’s next for you in your journey, where are you headed? Hope you’re able to keep contributing here, in between things.

Programming! ha!
    I started to study programming, my first year as a student doing Fullstack. A lot of work. Not that much different from being a 3D artist. Creative work. But fun.

Where that might take me? Who knows! Just enjoying the ride!
  • pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    Just want to say as a fellow on again, off again lurker (since the planetquake days): Thanks for your contributions, and also for your candor on your personal experience.

Echoing some of poopipe's sentiments; if your experience is taken as a model between success and failure...well then the lot of us are doomed!
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Cheers mate good luck for the future and a personal thank you contributing on that subd thread over the years, not only enabling myself but also alongside many others, getting some sort of handle on this hard surface caper  B)
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    pxgeek said:
    Just want to say as a fellow on again, off again lurker (since the planetquake days): Thanks for your contributions, and also for your candor on your personal experience.

Echoing some of poopipe's sentiments; if your experience is taken as a model between success and failure...well then the lot of us are doomed!

Don't let my experience be a guide. Just a "heads-up" my friend.
    Just don't feel distressed when something is not working your way. And try to find the beauty in all of it. I had personal experiences that halted a lot of my work, both personal and professional. My Wife ended with multiple thromboses over a 5-year span, 2 kids, my Wife hospitalized, and so on.
    If you put down

sacboi said:
    Cheers mate good luck for the future and a personal thank you contributing on that subd thread over the years, not only enabling myself but also alongside many others, getting some sort of handle on this hard surface caper  B)

Hello, my friend and thank you for contributing to the hard surface channel!
    I appreciate the kind words.
    poopipe said:
    Having spent most of my adult life in a game-dev desert, being unable to relocate due to family commitments and ending up working for some really dodgy bastards there are strong echoes of my own experiences here and it's hit me right in the feels.  I was fortunate enough to find a path out but I remember the feelings well. 

I will say that if you spent several years being gainfully employed in the game industry (shitty as the experience might have been) I don't think 'failed' is the word you're looking for. 

Thank you for the kind words @poopipe!

• chien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chien polycounter lvl 13
    thank you for sharing  :3
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hey, much success going forward :+1:
    Those subd models are satisfying to look at :-B