Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steampunk Batmobile, "steampunk new history competition" WIP

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
bruner_james polycounter lvl 9
I've been working on a project for 3d model's steampunk new history competition (located here if your interested in it https://3dmodels.org/steampunk-new-history/ )

I decided to go with a steampunk batmobile, located in a Victorian Gotham. I've been working on it the last month or so for a few hours every night. Here's a handful of images tracking my progress.

I'm not much of a artist, but here's my initial sketch that got the ball rolling. 

here we are at about a two weeks in, pretty happy with the overall shape, and I've got all the major parts blocked in, still alot to do and refine. But at this point I changed direction, and started to focus on the scene itself.

I wanted to do a streetscape, and I imagined that the easiest way to make a modular set that I could snap together to make multiple buildings.
The first pieces coming together. My first time building a modular kit so there was some issues getting things to snap properly. With this initial set I was able to create the layout and do some tests with the vehicle.
Created the layout in 3dsmax, and exported it out into marmoset to test some different lighting.
Fairly happy with the first test, and the buildings look fine. Will need more variations.

After a quick unwrap and texture pass was able to create a decent amount of variations for the purpose of this project. With additional brick colours it'll be even better for breaking up the scene to avoid repetition.
Here's the composition I've settled with, I'm fairly happy with the progress I've been making and am on track for the deadline.

The next step is to complete the scene before moving back to the car. I've got to add signage to the buildings, lamp posts, and create smokestacks and roof ornaments. Then it's just a matter of creating the roadway and sidewalk into modular pieces.

After that it'll be back to work on the vehicle, I would say it's about 40% done of what I want to do. There's a lot of areas that are very rough and require more love.

I'll try to update as I continue to work on this project, any and all feedback is appreciated.

Replies