Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

my details are horrible. It's like i'm on this massive learning curve

node

Can someone tell me how do i clean all this up? By meaning i'm probably gonna re do the Truck but based on the blueprint (whatever it is) How do i make these models more accurate? This roof of a Evo this morning i worked on it and every time i just keep getting rounded edges like i would add more loopcuts still same thing...Switch matcaps...

Also that does the Flat Matcap do? Like as in terms of workflow how does one use it? And lattice?

Replies

• Rima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rima greentooth
    Well, it's hard to judge the accuracy of that truck without knowing what you're comparing it to. But regarding your other points...

The flat matcap basically just shows you model without any shading, without any shadows. It's useful if you just want to check the silhouette of your model without being misled by shading or details that can distract you or make it look slightly different. Also, if you set the colour to "random" you can conveniently see all the individual objects in your scene, which can be useful in combination with the silhouette mode if you want to make sure nothing is overlapping or something.

Lattice is an object used to deform another object. If you create a lattice in your scene, you can then use the lattice modifier on an object you want to deform. You select the lattice you made, a vertex group if you want to limit which parts of your model it effects, and then by moving the vertices of the lattice you can deform your object. You can use it to stretch or twist your object, and get more detailed deformation by changing the lattice's resolution.

In general when it comes to accuracy, you should probably try to just block in the basic shape first. If you try to worry about all the individual panels and parts from the start, you'll most likely get tunnel vision and end up with things being disproportionate or in the wrong locations relative to each other. It's probably better to just try making the overall shape accurate first, then start worrying about the details when you're sure that's correct.
  • alfonzx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alfonzx node
    is this the correct way to use the lattice
  • Rima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rima greentooth
    Well, I'm not sure why you'd need to use the lattice modifier here. And even if you did, that's a lot of subdivisions; will the model even have enough vertices itself for that amount of detail on the lattice to be effective on the car?

I think you should try to just focus on modeling for now; ignore deformation modifiers. You should probably try to find a tutorial if possible.

It's a few years old, but perhaps something like this would help you?

• Jalalzai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalalzai polycounter lvl 3
    @Rima is right, it would make your life much easier to use that tutorial and after you have learned his methods you will be able to make any car you want and slowly improve your skills