Home Technical Talk

3DS Max - Spacing vertices evenly along edge

Hi,
I cannot seem to figure out how to evenly space vertices along an edge without deformation. When i use the "space" function with Loop Tools I get unexpected results, the mesh is deformed and is unable to keep its direction. In Blender this action is very straightforward, when you select an edge and use the space function the vertices shift along the selected edge evenly maintaining the proper direction, however I cannot seem to replicate this in Max. I will attach some screenshots to showcase the issue.
I appreciate any help I can get on this.

Replies

• pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    Have you tried selecting all the edge rings and running space loops (instead of just the one)?
  • Horizon_one
    Spacing does not seem to work with ring selections, I do not know if that is what you meant, however I am looking for a way to specifically affect the vertices on one side of an edge and not moving the entire edge. There may be a situation where I have a detail in place and I cannot move the entire thing, I just need to even out one side. I should probably explain better, whenever I run a spacing operation in 3DS Max it just seems to skew the geometry in a seemingly random way. 
    I have attached more screenshots to hopefully demonstrate this better. This is especially a problem for me when working with curved surfaces, however, it seems to break the mesh even on a flat surface as seen with the half cylinder in the screenshot.
    I must be surely missing something very basic here, but every tool that I try does not seem to do the job, even set flow does not achieve what I am looking for.

• pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    Yeah, that looks weird...it shouldn't be doing that.
    Try resetting xforms.

• Horizon_one
    That works! I had no idea you had to reset xform after creating a primitive, I just assumed they would not cause any issues since I would not change scale or rotation outside of editable poly. I had a feeling I must have been making a basic error...
    Thank you so much for your help.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you use non-uniform scale outside of sub-object mode, it's going to distort the local transform space of the whole model. If you need to scale stuff, best to do it on the sub-object level: Vertex, Edge, Polygon, Element, etc. 
  • Horizon_one
    If you use non-uniform scale outside of sub-object mode, it's going to distort the local transform space of the whole model. If you need to scale stuff, best to do it on the sub-object level: Vertex, Edge, Polygon, Element, etc. 

That is what was confusing me, I know that when an object has its scale changed outside of sub-object mode many operations will not work properly. However in my examples I did not scale them, I just created a primitive, converted it to editable poly without making any changes to it and then extruded a few faces and added some loops while in edge sub-object mode. I initially thought scale would not be the issue as other operations such as chamfer were working correctly, but it seems like spacing and relaxing operations are behaving strangely without the xform reset first in my situation.
    In any case it might be a problem on my end, but pxgeek's solution seem to be working so I can't complain.