Home Adobe Substance

Baking Issues "the return"

Hello guys, first of all, I have search for this kind of issue in the forum but nothing seams to fit this situation, or at least, I dont find a relationship within my problem. So, if I am wrong I would appreciate you guidance. 

I am working on a backpack prop and I started having issues with my bakes so I started to search about it. At the beggining I though It was produced as I wasn´t exploding my mesh when baking, but I tryied that and it remained the same. So I decided to split the problem and make the baking only with one piece of the hole prop and there were no difference at all even if it was just one piece, it remained.

The result is full of artifacts, normal seams more like a tangent space normal that the regular one and I dont know why. What Am I doing wrong? Thanks so much for your time!

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! Could you share some meshes you got the issue with, for them to be looked at?
  • Artmonso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course! From this link you can download the LOW and HIGH meshes. Thanks!
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! When I checked the cage preview in Painter (exaggerated values for illustration), it looked skewed, sort of in alignment with your bake results.

Then checking the lowpoly in Blender, the shading of the lowpoly looked funky (left). Once I discarded the meshes custom vertex normals the shading looked as expected (right)

- so did the cage in Painter (again, exaggerated values for illustration).

Visualization of the modified vertex normals in edit mode: 

Attached modified lowpoly to post.

Some other suggestions, unrelated to issue:
    - mesh comes in rather large on my side, maybe a unit conversion thing. I would work in real life dimensions.
    - topology messy in places 
    - straighten UV strips for more efficient packing and to minimize aliasing artifacts
    - split meshes up into reasonable parts and use Painters "match by name" to avoid unwanted projections, opposed to exploding.
  • Artmonso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh god!! @Fabi_G This guy deserves a palace in heaven! jaja Thanks so much @Fabi_G , it exactly fixed my problem.  On the other hand I would really appreciate if you could let me know where you would correct topology to be less messy as you mentioned. At the same time It would be great have some advice from you in orther to face packaging of UVs to improve it! 

Thanks so much!!!
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad it helped!

By messy topology, I meant edges that don't improve neither silhouette nor shading. I mean, if it works it works, but for showcase or collaborative work I would clean it up. Something more like on the right:

Obviously when a mesh has to deform, which I assume isn't the case here, the topology has to support it.

Regarding straightened UVs, here is the Painter documentation illustrating Aliasing artefacts along seams. Example with UV borders of strip like elements straightened, aligning with the pixel grid:

This was quickly done for illustration purpose, here is the Wiki page on padding
    Ah, triangulate mesh on export to ensure its shading is consistent across applications.
    Good luck!

• Artmonso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fabi_G Thanks so much for taking the time to illustrate it so wonderfully. I really appreciate it! I will take it into account! Could you recomend me some book, course or something that you got useful in the past to improve this skills?
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Could you recomend me some book, course or something that you got useful in the past to improve this skills?"

Not really. I recommend to investigate various aspects (topology, UVs) of work you enjoy, take notes and do small tests. Polycount wiki is worth a visit now and then too, to read up on stuff. Generally reading through progress and technical talk threads on the forum can result in learnings too.