Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Critique Request] Finished a new project, what do you think?

Hey, all. I'm finishing up renders on a new portfolio entry, but I felt it'd be good to post here first before I publish to Artstation. I'm looking for critiques on my firearm, the 1301 Tactical. I'm primarily seeking feedback on the texturing work on the shotgun, and the quality of the renders in regards to lighting and choice of background. The questions I have are partially based on a portfolio review I asked for sometime ago here:
  • How do you feel about the level of wear on the weapon? Do you feel its presence is excessive, or that the weapon could stand to have more wear? 
  • How do you feel about the weapon's surface details?
  • How do you feel about the lighting present in the renders? Does it seem flat and uninteresting? Is the weapon well-lit or too bright (or too dark)?
  • How do you feel about the choice of background for the weapon? Would the renders do well to have a background that is not a single color?    
I'm eager to see the conclusions you all come to. Attached below are the renders of the 1301 Tactical:

Replies

• Korina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Korina polycounter lvl 9
    Hello, I don't know if you are still looking for critiques since I saw that you had uploaded this on your artstation already, but if you are, may I know the level of wear you were aiming for, like how long the weapon has been used? Also, if you have reference pictures, may I see them for the surface details and lighting?
  • UnlitShader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, there! I'm still open to critiques even though its already on Artstation. I was aiming for a low level of wear for this shotgun; enough to be noticeable but not very excessive. To estimate a length of time, lets say this firearm had been used for several weeks, and has just begun to show signs of use. Surface Detail references I used while texturing are below: 
     Thank you for your willingness to help! I don't remember using images as references for lighting, so the selection below may be less helpful, but I felt these images had good lighting: