Home Technical Talk

Question about SubD modeling and Game Assets

Hello. I am still a beginner when it comes to 3D in general. I've spent the last month or so practicing SubD modeling techniques with emphasis on maintaining clean topology. However, i realize this approach is often used for 3D models in animation or the film/tv industry, and not as in game assets. I checked other artists who do low-poly modeling for games, and it has a variety of triangles on their models. 

My question is: Is it useful to continue practicing SubD and clean quad topology? How do some artists convert a high poly SubD model to a low poly with triangles for game assets? I would appreciate to hear your insights. And thank you. 

Replies

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Just posting in-case you missed it:
    I myself use many different ways but mostly zbrush remesher as a base then edit it in topogun
    (when testing animations and prestarting textures, "to get ahead" on them, saving them as a substance smart mat.)

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    "...I've spent the last month or so practicing SubD modeling techniques with emphasis on maintaining clean topology. However, i realize this approach is often used for 3D models in animation or the film/tv industry, and not as in game assets."

Well, if baking from high to low workflow you might utilise a subd mesh when generating game rez content!

For someone so new, really have to start engaging the brain - period!

Now unless via reputable sources like here at PC for instance, then definitely get into the habit by ignoring the rest - please!
  • Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    I started learning 3d with subdiv but today I barely use it, there's some assets where I still do if that's the best/fastest way but these are usually models I could do in other ways too, so my suggestion would be to invest more time learning stuff like texturing and baking and instead let subdiv as one of the things you will learn on the side as you go. 
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! I think Subd modeling is an important skill to have. It's relevancy for a task depends on the specifics, one consideration being iteration speed/flexibility. For an organic subject, sculpting might be a more fitting way to control the vertices (however Subd modeling might be used for creating the base).

Aside from the wiki already mentioned, a goldmine to dig through is FrankyPolygons' sketchbook. Using the forums search function, you'll find more related threads.

To get a lowpoly to bake to, you could for example simplify/reuse the base mesh/control cage, decimate the highpoly or do a manual retopology. Again depends on the specific situation.

Triangulating a mesh before baking is important to ensure that its shading is consistent between applications.