Home Technical Talk

Artifacts when baking normal map

I'm working on the retopology of a high-poly model I made. I'm not very experienced with retopology and baking normals. When I extract the normal map in Substance Painter, I see these triangular artifacts(like cuts) as if it were a mesh problem.

When I bake normals in Substance, it generally looks pretty good, but if I change the color to something dark and zoom in, I can see these artifacts.

What could it be? Poor retopology, incorrectly configured normals, ... Honestly, if you could help me a bit, I would appreciate it.

High poly

Low Poly

Normal baked in substance

Artifact when zoom the model

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! Is part of the mesh mirrored? If so, I'd make sure to offset the UVs of the mirrored geo by 1 (can be set in Blenders mirror modifier), so different points in the 3D space don't write to the same pixel.

If you want to enable people to reproduce your issue, share you're meshes (if small enough, zip and attach to post).

And while I think it doesn't contribute to the specific issue here, it might be good to triangulate the model, so the topology and therefore shading is consistent between applications.
  • Ivanose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    Hi! Is part of the mesh mirrored? If so, I'd make sure to offset the UVs of the mirrored geo by 1 (can be set in Blenders mirror modifier), so different points in the 3D space don't write to the same pixel.

If you want to enable people to reproduce your issue, share you're meshes (if small enough, zip and attach to post).

And while I think it doesn't contribute to the specific issue here, it might be good to triangulate the model, so the topology and therefore shading is consistent between applications.
    Hi, thanks for the response and the advice. The low-poly mesh doesn't have a mirror because I've only done one part to check if I was retopologizing correctly, I unwrapped the UVs and baked the normals, and that's when I noticed these artifacts.
    Here are the models as well.
    I'll try triangulating the mesh to see if it fixes anything.
    Thanks a lot for the response.