Home Technical Talk

Texturing help: Paper lantern with bright spot and light falloff effect

Hi guys.  Hoping someone could give me some pointers on an effect I'm trying to achieve.  I thought it would be quite simple but really struggling to understand why it's not.

I want to create this: 

A paper lampshade where the light is visible through the material, and falls off as shown in the picture.  Bright in the centre with a short falloff.

My attempts cannot get the bright spot in the centre, instead the whole of the lampshade seems to be pretty evenly lit no matter the intensity of the light or the refractive properties of the shader.  At first I tried with a 2 sided material but the effects were worse than using a single sided standard material which is what I'm using now.  I've been adjusting the base colour texture brightness, contrast, saturation, and the same with the refraction colour map.  I have sss and fog turned off, so just using the refraction colour.  I'm using V-ray with a metalness/roughness workflow.  This is the best I've achieved so far:

Any suggestions/techniques would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers!

Edit/Update:

In case anyone in interested in how this goes I'll update this thread. Firstly, I mentioned before I had no fog colour.  Sorry, that was a mistake.  I had a light red fog with a depth set to 10 cm.  Also I forgot to mention that the geometry for the lampshades have a thickness of 0.03 cm.

I've got a better result by darkening the fog colour (RGB 56,23,23), setting the fog depth to 0.04 cm, and the refractive IOR to 1.3  The lights are now set to 60 watts.  I've played with the brightness of the base color and refraction map a bit too.  The image is a bit noisy with some fireflies but is an improvement I think:

Replies