Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Melomad

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Melomad triangle
Hello, I'm Arzel from France! I've been lurking the forum and decided to get my stuff out there.

Right now, I'm building my portfolio and I'm trying to get good enough at what I do to lend me a job. I do 3D and 2D art, I'm contributing to the Beyond Skyrim: Morrowind mod and the amazing people there really helped me :3

Here's a set of temple bells I did for the mod, I'm quite proud of it! However, I am and always will be open to critique. Huzzah!

Replies

• Melomad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melomad triangle
    I started a horse project: firstly because I love horses, secondly because they can be a challenge to get right, and thirdly because I've seen one too many fucked up horse in a game.

I chose to represent a local breed, the Breton horse (specifically the 'postier' subtype), as I haven't seen a lot of working horses in games / online. Horses are hard to get right because they bear the selective breeding curse which makes a lot of them fucked up, like pugs. In the case of the Breton horse, the 'trait' subtype has long ceased to be bred for manual labor and is instead bread dumb and heavy to maximize meat production.

With my postier, I hope to create a cute horse with good conformations and train my anatomy at the same time B)  Below are (some) references I gathered, my blockout and the first sculpt pass. I will refine the anatomy as I go, but if a horse-savvy person comes by, I'll be more than happy to get feedback on it.

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! That's a cool bell. A critique I'd make, is that it could use some impression of thickness at the opening. Maybe a bevel at that edge in the normal map would suffice.

On the horse I'd say it currently feels too front-heavy in terms of weight/proportions.

Keep it up :+1:
  • Melomad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melomad triangle
    Hey Fabi! Thank you so much for the pointers! I haven't thought about a bevel, it'll look so much better. I'll get on that asap.
    And yes, gosh, I need to figure out the rump area. Just like hips on a human, I feel like it's one of the most complex piece of anatomy. There's so much going on...

It's really nice having new eyes on my work! Thank you for taking the time to comment <3