Home Technical Talk

AO map shows seams after baking in SP

antonon178
node
Hi guys)After baking AO map in substance painter it reveals-shows seams.I tried to
adjust settings but had no result.  I do not use hipoly mesh  in this case.

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! What do the UVs look like? Ideally share the mesh.
  • antonon178
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Looks like you need a bit of padding, your grey background is bleeding through right at the edge of your shells
  • antonon178
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antonon178 node
    What formats are allowed to upload?I can not attach 3ds max or fbx file
  • antonon178
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antonon178 node
    MikeF said:
    Looks like you need a bit of padding, your grey background is bleeding through right at the edge of your shells
    You mean-the distance between uv-islands is small?I used padding value 0.003 as always.And I never had this kind of artefact.The only difference this time-I do not use hipoly mesh.Thanks for responding))
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Your distance seems fine, but you need to extend the bake by a few pixels so it bleeds past your island bounds. Not familiar with SP's baker though, so i cant tell you how to do that exactly
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    MikeF said:
    You mean-the distance between uv-islands is small?I used padding value 0.003 as always.And I never had this kind of artefact.The only difference this time-I do not use hipoly mesh.Thanks for responding))
    I think he mean   there shouldn't be any  black background in between  islands . increase "dilation"
  • antonon178
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antonon178 node
    I increased dilation width from 32 to 128,but it did not change anything.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    sometimes to fix small issues with dilation, editing the image in photoshop or similar can be easy way to go. You can just duplicate the base layer and add a blur to the lower layer or use a brush to manually paint in color to the problem spots. 

have not watched this tutorial but looks like it covers what i am talking about: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UUvCgghgcM

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! To share meshes, you can zip them then attach the zipped file to a post.
  • pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    btw, there is a free "flaming pear plugin" for photoshop if you want a one click option for dilation.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xnormal also comes with a free dilation plugin for Photoshop. In my experience it works better than the Flaming Pear one (which I used to be a fan of, but the blurring is not helpful when you look at how the MIPs are subsequently filtered).

Photopea has an even better dilation filter, probably the best I've seen. Blazingly fast, live preview, it goes all the way to 400 pixels, and it has a Crop function in case your alpha has unintended antialiasing that you need to cut out.

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like padding just doesn't get displayed in Painters 2d/UV view. The actual baked map should have padding based on the dilation value set, so ideally no tweaks outside of painter should be necessary (which would have to be repeated on each subsequent bake when UVs changed). What does the baked AO map look like?

I couldn't get seams showing, baking a 256x256 AO for some pipelike shape, "use lowpoly as highpoly" checked, using the default dilation value of 32. On the left side is the baked AO map.

Sharing the mesh (attach the zipped file you imported into Painter), would enable people to redo the exact steps, check if they get the same issue and if so and look into it.

Issue aside, I suppose one could also consider texture such an object using an texture atlas with generic/tiling and unique elements, thus saving texture space/ getting more out of the pixels.