Home Technical Talk

mini tutorial - Maya duplicate along a curve (no mash, simple method)

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

if you look up how to duplicate along a curve in maya you will see there is no simple dedicated method even in 2024. The go-to method still seems to be MASH. MASH is good because it gives you all the flexibility you could want, however it is a chore to setup and has a ton of disjointed parameters you have to tinker with. 
If you just want to put some beads like for a necklace along a curve it's a real bother. I found a way that feels more appropriately simple if your needs are simple. 

Requires a version of maya that has Sweep Mesh tool and Bonus Tools. 

Overview: We make a sweep mesh along a curve, which is constrained to the curve, and then we duplicate copies or instances of an object along the components of the sweep mesh. 
  1. create a curve
  2. select curve -> sweep mesh
  3. the sweep mesh doesn't matter, it is just a dummy and will be deleted, so whether it is a plane or something else doesn't matter. Just set the resolution so that the faces or verts have the spacing you want for your duplicated objects
  4. Select your object desired to be duplicated then change to component selection and select faces or verts on the sweep mesh that you want object duplicated along
  5. Bonus tools -> Edit -> Duplicate On Object with options for Constrain checked 
It's helpful to duplicate as instances, then you can update all of the duplicates as one

You can move the curve and the duplicates follow because they are constrained to the sweep mesh which is constrained to the curve. That's it! The simplest way I know of and only appropriate for some use cases but every time I need to do this I am always annoyed that I have to go through a 20 step process with mash to make a beaded necklace or similar. enjoy