Home Technical Talk

3d coat users, can you import a mesh for sculpting without triangulating it or losing UVs?

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
I can't seem to find a way to do this. I want to bring in quad mesh in, do some minor sculpting on it, and export as the same topology with the same UV's. 

I can import a mesh with quads and UV's as a paint object, but to get a paint object to sculpt room or too retopo room and then to sculpt room it always seems to get voxelized or triangulated. 

There has to be a way to just get model in and out without doing all this stuff to it?

Replies

• pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    I'm not aware of a way for 3dc to do that, but a possible workaround would be to bring your original mesh into the retopo room and manually finesse it to the updated sculpt (with snapping turned on) and export that.

While not ideal...it could work in a pinch depending on how drastic the sculpting changes are.
    Speaking of which, you can enable 'conform to mesh' in the sculpt room which will sync the changes with the retopo mesh, except its only available for a couple tools: move, pose, and transform, so it's very limited.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks @pxgeek, I will give that a shot. i think it should be okay if making minor changes to base mesh. 

i could have sworn i was sculpting on a quad mesh when initially messing around with the program but maybe I am hallucinating about that
  • pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    Oh, I'm still on a very old version (4.9)
    It looks like the 'conform retopo mesh' option is available on the sculpting tools now too:
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek said:
    Oh, I'm still on a very old version (4.9)
    It looks like the 'conform retopo mesh' option is available on the sculpting tools now too:
    awesome that is exactly what I needed! great now I can stick to my typical workflow. Really enjoying 3d coats sculpting but that was throwing a big wrench in my plans. thanks