Home Adobe Substance

Rotating View Breaks Lighting?

triangle
The face texture set of my character get's dark when I rotate the view. I already restarted Substance Painter. Here a short screen recording showing it: https://imgur.com/a/hwcP9rz

Replies

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    From what i saw you got it at low resolution 16, can you increase it and does it fix it?
    Change the Hdri or did you setup the scene to view hand-painted work? are you going for hand-painted work?
    I am not affiliated with this application just adding my .02's to try to help until someone who is comes around, i never had this issue so i am interested into its solution to prevent it in the future if i run into it.
  • Sidney Eliot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sidney Eliot triangle
    Thanks for replying.

- Base Surface > Specualr Quality > Ver High (128) doesn't fix it
    - Switching HDRI to one of SP's default HDRIs doesn't fix it
    - The scene is setup for PBR workflow. Project config is: OpenGL and Color Configuration of OpenColorIO with Substance config (defaulting this also doesn't fix it). The shader is pbr-metal-rough-with-alpha-blending. And as mentoined I didn't modify any other shader or display settings, the entire project is pretty stock settings wise
    - The texture maps themselves are fine as I have the character setup the same way in Marmoset Toolbag and everything looks good over there. Or so it would seem. After one by one disbaling texture maps and disabling layers I was able to trace it back to the AO map and a simple fill layer for the eyelashes. It's hard to belive to here a short clip: https://imgur.com/a/AjC4tyt. No idea why that is causing this, the eyelashes layer is literally geometry masked to only the eyelashes. So my guess is that something else is at play here. Deleting and creating a new fill layer for the eye lashes makes the problem come back

If you want to take a look at the spp file (2GB), I uploaded it to mega: https://mega.nz/file/2eoFxRSD#dFEe7xRg0nZCn_rZ__KrwC1FOJGIBW7rcG8txhDPcew

My specs are:
    Windows 11
    Substance Painter newest version of 2024 release (Steam)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 5700 GPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU
    64GB RAM

• Sidney Eliot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sidney Eliot triangle
    Ok after doing some more work on the project, I noticed that when hiding (with the eye icon) all but the hair and the head texture set, the problem goes away as well. My suspicion is that this might be some optimization thing Substance is doing or something else related to that, the scene has about 150 objects and 42 4k textures.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    alpha blending you say ? 

could be a sorting issue - use the opaque material on anything that doesn't require transparency.  if there's an alpha test / clip / masked material use that for anything it'll work on. 
  • Sidney Eliot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sidney Eliot triangle
    poopipe said:
    alpha blending you say ? 

could be a sorting issue - use the opaque material on anything that doesn't require transparency.  if there's an alpha test / clip / masked material use that for anything it'll work on. 

Oh thanks for second guessing that, even if it might be unrelated to the issue. I couldn't find much about what shader to use for what situations. The character is for real-time use in unreal and marmoset with the PBR roughness workflow. The charcter won't have any alpha transparency, but some parts are glass.

So you're saying that for that pbr-metal-rough is correct, but as soon as I want alpha transparency I switch to pbr-metal-rough-with-alpha-blending for the substance file (or can one/ should one have a separate alpha shader for those parts that need it and the simple pbr-metal-rough for those that don't).

And I assume all of this would be the same for hand painted texturing.

One thing I noticed with pbr-metal-rough is that backface culling is on, which is good as that's what I'll see in the game engine at the end.

Also, my eye cornea's glass doesn't work with pbr-metal-rough, but I assume that's because I have to switch to another glass method in Substance Painter.

• Sidney Eliot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sidney Eliot triangle
    Also one thing that I can say for sure, for anyone else who encounters this issue, it's not related to any specific layer, it's something related to Substance's engine or device it's running on. I don't seem to have the issue anymore, but wasn't able to pinpoint why excatly it's gone, it seems quite elusive.

I'll keep the link to the substance painter file up for a couple of days for anyone who wants to see if they can replicate the bug, but will be taking down the file at some point.

I also renamed to post header, so it is easier to find.