Home General Discussion

Car games

i started learning how to make cars in blender and so far i've pretty much beat the uphill learning curve... i know good amount of the terminology, just starting to get familiar with UV editing. My reason for starting was because i wanted to design my own cars. I was thinking like i could design a bunch of cars put them on sketchfab or something and maybe start making some side cash after a while...however i realize that's far from reality. 
I know that models got to be "game ready" and that the 3D marketplace is terrible for sellers since your having others constantly undercut you. 
I figured i had a bit of an "edge" since i know a ton about cars and what i would do is check a bunch of markets for specific models and see if there selling and how much for. 

I'm really just asking for opinions on this venture. I still like cars and i wish i had a reason to design my own but motivation for it just goes down more and more. It took me a while to get to where i'm at in blender and i'm still a noob.

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    You picked a strange time to start work like this. AI is going to make things difficult for you. Here are some images from Artstation found under the tag AI.
    So as far as designing cars for games this seems to make things difficult. As far as I know, AI images cant be copywrighted though. Good luck.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    I wonder how much of market for self-designed cars there may even be: all the games I play or am aware of go to great lengths to recreate real-world designs down to the last screw and livery and in the case of one racing game that also incorporates a bunch of futuristic and mostly fictional race cars designed by car companies - these are usually rejected by the playerbase as 'not real'.

If its your passion, go for it. But perhaps don't expect all that much of a commercial demand?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    ^ indeed 

if I were trying to make money off car models I'd be selling packs of generic, every-day cars that people could use to populate their game worlds rather than doing anything fancy - probably including wrecked/rusty/burnt out variants. 
    There's no shortage of those on the various asset stores but there's never actually enough choice 

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Well if a.i. does exterior, do interior, might be one way to knock it out of it's high(thievery)horse.  (Car parts, make car interior parts...)
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Yeah variation, quite possibly a bit 'niche' though essentially vehicles not that familiar to what you'd usually find on European roads but common in regions for example such as the U.S. - Canada - Australia, where "tyranny of distance" fully rules  i.e. big ass bus level Winnebago type 'camper vans', utility 4x2  4x4  6x6 pickup trucks and 'aussie utes' tray back Sedans.....etc 

(...we're kinda Mad Max mob of hoons, downunder : p )