Home Technical Talk

displacement map seams in maya/Arnold

for the love of god, I juest cant figuate out what is wrong with my settings. can some living 3DCG god help me plz : (

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    To be honest  I hardly see any issue .   But I would check if UV seam edge has split vertex normals.  Any geometry   using displacement  shouldn't have hard edges.  
    i didn't use  Arnold  much . I used Clarisse FX  and it  had special checkbox that made sure  uv seams got  merged with displacement . Maybe Arnold have it too somewhere. just a guess.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First question I would ask is why are you using displacement? What’s the goal beyond this test asset? 

Displacement is a pain in the ass, hard to edit, and uses a ton of memory. Most productions I’ve worked on actively avoid it, unless there’s absolutely no other way. 
  • stephanieroach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stephanieroach polycounter lvl 4
    First question I would ask is why are you using displacement? What’s the goal beyond this test asset? 

Displacement is a pain in the ass, hard to edit, and uses a ton of memory. Most productions I’ve worked on actively avoid it, unless there’s absolutely no other way. 
    Do you mean this just for games? Because in film, displacement is absolutely necessary in most cases and looks much better than just normal maps. Especially if you have details that stick out from the edges of the model, like lots of little spikes or something.