Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback Request: Guitar Textures

Looking for some feedback on the texture-work for this guitar. There are already some things I plan to go back and revise, but I would appreciate some new eyes to tell me what could be improved. Thanks all!  :)

Full Material: 

Isolated Textures: 

Albedo

Roughness

Metallic

Normal (sorry for the UV layout view on this one, I need to look into a Normal render pass option in Marmoset)

Replies

• lolpoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! Nice model, but the materials could definitely use improvement like you said.
    First thing I would do though, is add some more dynamic lighting / environment. Right now it's too flat, and with these flat viewing angles as well it's quite hard to tell what the material is doing and therefore do any meaningful work to it. The beauty pass looks almost the same as the albedo pass.

On the materials side - again it's hard to really tell - but I'd say the painted parts of the body should be glossier, and the worn parts where the wood is showing should be rougher. I assume the bridge and various other parts are chrome, but that's kind of impossible to tell right now because of  the lack of lights / environment. A chrome material looks only as good as the environment it's rendered in :) The black parts I'd make a bit darker so they pop out more (don't know if this is based on real world reference though)

Lastly, this is more of a real-world thing, but I immediately noticed in the render that the fretboard inlays are sticking out in the normal map. On a real guitar those are polished to be completely flush with the surface of the fretboard, otherwise it would be a very poorly manufactured guitar :)

Hope this helps! I'd love to see this in a more finished state!