Home Technical Talk

Techs (where you at?) rendering...

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
iam717 greentooth
Okay so i find it strange i can not "stress" the p.c. i have out utilizing all of the aspects of the hardware, the img attached shows that noting or hardly anything is being used.  What is the deal here (internally), software or driver-ly?

One would think, "hey this pc's and the processes i am doing should utilize all aspects of the availability, but what do you know, it does not so what i do have to do who do i have to pay to get 95% utilization across my hardware so that i do not sit here for 7-8hours hoping something doesn't go wrong.

What gives cause its feeling artificially halted/slowed/hindered? where is the location of people realizing this and utilizing "alternative means" to stop the b.s.? p.m. if necessary, thanks.

Edit: to explain,
How can say an engine like 2077 become moded and use real-time rendering to make objects look near realistic, in seconds in comparison to say an engine rendering a video that is only 10 seconds taking 5-8 hours?

Where is my mis-understanding in this situation?

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    the slowest part of the pipeline defines the maximum speed. 

if you're pulling data over a network, everything else is going to be waiting. 

if you want to pin every core for shits and giggles, build unreal from source 
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    I would love to get unreal source but all that signup b.s. if people want to p.m. "gems" i am all for it, don't plan to sell anything it's learning and fun for me.  If its changes I'd then do all that signup, b.s. (y i do not do it myself, all those agreements atm i do not agree with, it was available before and now its just weird to add these extra steps...to me.)
    Thanks Poop, its a bit better as i changed it from mpeg4 to avi lossless not great but a bit better,  wish i could "hack" the rendering stuff in marmoset so i can adjust the speed of this rendering situation.  Pin every core is the goal, as well as the memory and gpu /gpu's? i wonder if that is possible, it only makes sense or at least 85%, i mean come on what's all this "power" for if not to use it...
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    from 5:54pm duration to 7:05pm / 1:11 h/m time-frame 64 SAMPLES
    193 samples = 2 hours for 1280x720 = 10 seconds turntable.
    41.7gb to 39.7gb file = 2.05gb's AVI-lossless.

Guesstimates:
    should be x3's amount = 3h:33m's+ for 3k. 6.0gb's+ file for "3k."
    and 12gb's from/to 15gb's  for 6kres, was 18 GBS 12 hours+ <Actually is 11hours not a guess.

The technical is for people wondering if they change settings or want to use marmo for video renders how long things would take, with enough data i think marmo could generate something that can give a good estimation per hardware used, per-quality desired. (math).

Okay i got it, so if marmo is doing something like this then "to update their site with it", then i added some assistance under a different system to what happens on my end with "my hardware".12900k,win10643060ti32gbddr5SSD.

Guess if a mod wants to add this somewhere to marmo thread, i guess it makes sense but i did want to "circumvent" the hindrances to utilize all my hardware to lessen these time-frames. 

Well to explain the entire situation i used to play with "encoding video", using scripts to generate the looks i wanted into video "data", long story short, i got hardcore into it and the community i "found", created their own stuff and things, and i could utilize what i am requesting once upon a time in win7-64.  I would simply type in core number to use, thread count to use, memory that was available and boom, bob's your uncle i got what i wanted.  (Freely, distributed, btw to get this...)
    I got spoiled and saw the potential and possibilities so when i say there is some sort of hindrance going on i am not lying.  Whether its accidental or purposefully, i'll know.

Edit:
    3k res was 18.gb's, my manual encode/compression 3.8mb resized to 1920 (screen)res, no resize 3kres 14.8mb.
    And i have to be clear i am not saying marmoset people are doing something i am saying the cpu/gpu peeps might be, other than that i agree with poop, but with the way they are "distributing" products in a funny / name/number "confusing", way is kind of telling in its self.  I kind of fixed the issue it was the compression making it impossible and i was on mpeg4 to make it worse cause using the rt and moving to fast through the u.i. created some "miss clicks" and i didn't see the change from avi to mp4 and forgot about changing the compression setting.  fixed but not really fixed, as i want to have my machine increase in the % to actually be used and seeing the 0% use-age is disturbing at best.  (If this has to do with what the worlds going through or did then, i guess it was warranted, but still breaks the law if it was deliberate doesn't it.?)

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    a 12900k running at 2.72ghz?
    win 10 ?

assuming it's not running at 105degrees ...

is the encoder running on the efficiency cores?  (they'll be the last 4/8/whatever listed in the CPU graph) - those are incredibly slow and deeply unsuited to tasks like video encoding

afaik win10 still doesn't have proper scheduling for efficiency cores (tasks marked as low priority / background are forced onto them and that often includes  background tasks like c-compilers, encoders etc) - you could test this theory by disabling them in the bios  

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    tbh: "is the encoder running on the efficiency cores? " - answer: i wouldn't know how to assign cores to tasks.

I will edit this post when i can get to adding the img with the info if i can figure out how to do those things, but yes i leave things on standard as i feel any changes to those settings just make things unstable, the p.c. i use never received any updates so its out of the box(cd/iso) lvl 1 win10.  & i just heard k-lite codec packs where garbage, sad news cause it a'int easy collecting all these codecs for all the stuff and things i used to do with the video encoders.

Oh and i down Clock my stuff sometimes 95% out of 100% -5% not a lot, usually (hot climate days) but to lazy to put them back and things run fine, i hate crashes and cooking the system needlessly.

(I've played with oc'ing previous pc's, its fun but i just want tasks to go faster, like these encoding turntables usually)  For my system it is the marmoset(current issue) compression implementation whatever settings are there they make my stuff take longer, so i used an outside source to compress the exported information and it seems to do a well enough job, sizes above.