Home Technical Talk

Skinweights lost on fbx export?

Hellgnome
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Hellgnome polycounter lvl 8
Hi all,

So I had Mixamo rig and skin a model, and when I import that into Maya everything works fine.

I then made some correction to the skinning (did some weight painting), and when I export it as an FBX, the skin binding goes POOF!

Everything works in Maya, but as soon as I export it, and then re-import the exported FBX file into any software (Unity, Maya, Blender and 3Ds max), the skin weights are lost?

Here is the file as a maya scene, and the model in a T-Pose as it came directly from Mixamo.

What I need help with, is how to export the model that is in the Maya scene atached here into Unity, and have the skin stil be bound to the model.
So when I move the joints inside Unity, the skin follows, just like it does in Maya.

Replies

• Hellgnome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellgnome polycounter lvl 8
    EDIT:

Stil not working in Maya, but blender did it with no problems at all.

I´d still very much like help, so I can do it in Maya in the future, since I´d rather stick with Maya.
    (I have no prblem with blender, I am just a Maya lover ;P).

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    the first thing to double check is in the export settings. I dont remember from memory but i think there is a checkbox specific for skin weights. You can start by just resetting the export settings to default and that should work, but if not just open up the documentation for them and use ctrl+f to search around for "skin weights" "binding" "animation" etc. 
    If it is not related to export settings then have to dig into the scene file, but I would check the simple things first.