Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Engineering Mech

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Seal40k polycounter lvl 6
Hello everyone,

I am pretty far with this project already but I thought it might be worth sharing:

Feel free to let me know what you think and how you like it.

Best,

Sebastian

Replies

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    TBH, when i look at this i am like okay, idk, look to add more interesting elements, it seems pretty bland.  
    It is hard to come up with your own thing,(i try also)  but i can appreciate your attempt, its a good experience to have to see how important others are in the realms of "art".  

Besides this, the giant center face looking yellow area (near yellow indents), between this are 2 protruding white (eye looking) design elements near the two smaller control arms, i would make these lights.
    I see a face in this design where i mentioned if you added lights here for each arm to do its "job" then it starts to come together more.

I didn't say it was bad, i think it has potential you just need a "friend" that is into conceptual mecha designing to add in their .02's, we can only be so lucky for one to offer themselves to this to help you make this truly shine more.  
    (at least this is the goal of posting for c&c to get some actual help @ least when i post things, i hope the same for the rest of you looking to better your passions.)

Perhaps adding the lights and maybe some cameras for it to utilize in its functions might be the only thing it needs? (how do i get white text color back//mod)

Keep on, keeping on.
  • Seal40k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. Thing is, I have someone who made this as a concept. He is not my friend but his artwork is good:

Probably should have shared the concept right from the start.
    I already deviated here and there, in general I believe it is one of these things where art is higly subjective.

• jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jermaineb polycounter lvl 13
    Maybe material selection could've helped more here? the materials look very similar except for the pieces that are obviously more reflective, but personally i  thought the yellower pieces (especially the large front piece) seemed more smoother surface wise and a different material. I think my only other thing would be maybe the top section you made is a bit longer than the initial concept? However I liked what you did and its a cool concept for sure.
  • Seal40k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jermaineb said:
    Maybe material selection could've helped more here? the materials look very similar except for the pieces that are obviously more reflective, but personally i  thought the yellower pieces (especially the large front piece) seemed more smoother surface wise and a different material. I think my only other thing would be maybe the top section you made is a bit longer than the initial concept? However I liked what you did and its a cool concept for sure.

Jeah I think the Materials might shine a bit more under a different light setting. The current one is kinda smooth and does not show many of the nouances in the material roughness. I might add another shot out of an unreal scene that does a better job at this. Overall I did not follow the concept 100% because certain changes translated better into 3D in my opinion.
  • Seal40k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished this project:

Hope you like it.

Best,

Sebastian