Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE5 Environment - Overgrown Temple

triangle
Offline / Send Message
KadenBurke triangle
Hello. I am happy to finally share a personal project that I have been working on. I made the dragon to practice my zbrush skills and when I finished the model, I decided that it would be fun to try and build an evironment around it. The dragon statue is based on the Naga statues from Thailand. The environment is also based off the temples found in the jungles of thailand. 
My goal for the environment was to make something that would fit into a game world. I would love to hear your opionions on it. 

Replies

• DEVLiminal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Really nice work, congratulations. You've tried to capture a realistic image and you've succeeded. However, perhaps some adjustments are needed to the vine leaves on the top of the dragon statue. The fact that the leaves are coming out of the statue kind of detracts from the realistic composition you've achieved. I think intensifying the moss painting on the top parts of the statue could strengthen the feeling of it being abandoned with vines covering it. Additionally, I'd like to mention that I particularly liked the decorations you used on the statue.

I'd like to ask you a question: What resolution of materials did you use on this model, and do you use a specific texel density ratio?

Keep up the good work 

• KadenBurke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KadenBurke triangle
    Thanks @DEVLiminal for the kind words and encouragement. I agree that the plants coming out of the dragon need a rework. Im going to make adjustments to the moss and see what I can achieve with some more realistic vines on the dragon. 

All materials use 2k maps. As for texel desity, I aimed for 10.2px/cm. Most building pieces are all at 10.2px/cm. A lot of the details on the buildings were made with a trim sheet so there are some pieces that are a little lower and higher. The statue has custom baked maps that are about 18px/cm. I didn't aim for a certain texel desity number when I made the statue, I just wanted to make sure it was not lower than the models around it. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Heya, just some observations, aside from the ivy, the temple looks brand new. I think the temple pieces need more damage, more breakup, and more brown dirt. I'd also suggest having vines and roots along the ground. Right now there is mainly large and small vegetation, I'd like to see medium sized vegetation. I'd also like to see medium and large vegetation breaking and growing through temple pieces. I feel like your dirt material needs work too, it sort of looks like a solid brown colour from your chosen camera angles. I think adjusting the lighting so the temple sits in more shadows, such as if the temple was in a forest or a canyon, would help make the lighting more interesting. Would be interested in seeing what reference images you used for this.

Keep it up!
  • KadenBurke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KadenBurke triangle
    Thanks @Ashervisalis for all the feedback. You pointed out a lot of ways that I can improve my scene. I agree that the temple needs more damage, I was trying to save time but I think your right and adding more damage will go a long way. I am also going to do a foliage pass to add in some more medium vegetation. I actually have a lot of medium vegetation that I didn't use in the foreground because I thought it detracted from the image, but if I make the foliage break though the temple pieces like you sugested then that will probably help a lot. I didn't notice how plain the ground was until I read you post, there is basically no variation in the screenshots. It definitly needs some attention. I was having some trouble getting lighting right because I felt like I was creating too much shadows with the forest, but I am going to make adjustments later and see what I can do. I like the idea of more shadow on the buildings and using a fake canyon as a shadow caster might help. My reference board is big but the main reference was Ta Som and Ta Prohm. Both location are in cambodia and there are a lot of ruins in the area that I used as inspiration.
  • SebastianZapata
    Hi @KadenBurke, it's looking quite good already!

One thing you could do to improve the details on the assets in general is displacement maps. I noticed from the close-ups that you're only using bump mapping. You could vertex-displace these or just use parallax mapping if you don't want to use a lot of resources. Parallax mapping is quite cheap and it improves the realism a lot compared to just normal maps.

Cheers!!
  • KadenBurke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KadenBurke triangle
    Hi @SebastianZapata, Thanks for the feedback. The building pieces are already using parallax mapping but I am going to increase the intensity a little bit. The dragon is only using normal maps because I was trying to keep a low poly count and parallax mapping doesn't work on a surface that curved. Vertex-Displacement definitely looks better but because I already have parallax mapping set up, I am just going to use it.
  • SebastianZapata
    Oh, my bad. Yea, maybe it needs more strength. It's looking great so far anyway!
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! Another simple option to create trim modules with a more elaborate silhouette, would be to model the lowpoly trim, project its UVs onto the corresponding trim on the trim atlas and modify vertex normals to match the original bake plane. Here is a test created a while back for another thread, option A illustrating what I mean:
    model

Modules created this way could be roughed up using booleans, applying a second material ID to cut out parts.

Keep it up!
  • KadenBurke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KadenBurke triangle
    Hello @Fabi_G, thanks for the tip. I would not have understood your coment without the test scene. As soon as I viewed the vertex normals it made sense. I had experimented with adjusting the mesh to match the trim but I never thought of changing the normals to face the same as the bake plane. I love learning new things and I am very hapy that you shared this technique. Thank you.