Home General Discussion

will A.i take over everything

losing motivation to create my car art and car models which i've been trying to do for a minute now...just now started seeing progress with 3d. But if a machine can spit out 20 ideas in 2 secs that makes me like obsolete i guess. I'm in drafting school (AutoCAD)

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    i'd read up on how it works now, how it is proposed to expand in the future, and then take a hard look at what I am actually doing in my job and decide if it is actually reasonable that AI could do the job. Ignore popular conversation because you have no idea who you are speaking to. It can be a 10 year old kid who just learned words like "exponential". For most people AI is synonym with magic so whatever opinion they have just doesn't count for anything.

If the methods AI is operating by now or in the future could feasibly do what you are doing then it makes sense to pursue something else. If not then you should tell everybody else in your field that doomsday is around the corner so that you can eliminate the competition. 

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    May be pretty dramatic.
    Motivation is not the only thing you may lose.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    The robot can do the work but the robot can't have the idea or determine whether it's a good idea or not - this is objective fact when you're talking about the current generation of generative AI and will remain true until a genuine AGI exists and we all either get wiped out or no longer need to work.   

if your goal is to make things that other people invent then you've always been replaceable - robots haven't changed that, they've just made it cheaper and more accessible.  If you have more lofty goals then you want to be embracing any sort of advancement that aids you in reaching them . 

• Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 17
    poopipe said:
    The robot can do the work but the robot can't have the idea or determine whether it's a good idea or not - this is objective fact when you're talking about the current generation of generative AI and will remain true until a genuine AGI exists and we all either get wiped out or no longer need to work.   

if your goal is to make things that other people invent then you've always been replaceable - robots haven't changed that, they've just made it cheaper and more accessible.  If you have more lofty goals then you want to be embracing any sort of advancement that aids you in reaching them . 

So now everyone is the dreaded "idea guy". Everyones got ideas..few can realize them.
    I'd say ai is good at ideas already. Type "give me a few ideas of a interesting stories and locations for a traditional point and click game"
     into chatgpt and it's gonna give you exactly that. You can argue that the idea is to create a point and click game..but I would disagree.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I think he meant more like, deciding which programming architecture to use, or how to design the art pipeline, or how to conduct market research to know what type of game is going to be worth making in the first place. 

If you make no such decisions in your job, and the sorts of decisions that you do make could be summarized in a simple formula, then your job could be in danger. If the decisions you make involve risk management and understanding human psychology, you should be safe for a long time.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    yes
    Once you get good at something you realise that only a very small part of what makes you good is the mechanical part of doing it, The vastly more important factor is the choices you make before and while you do it. 

There are lots of very good illustrators and comparatively few very good concept artists because being a very good concept artist is not about being able to draw - its about choosing the right thing to draw

and really..  what's wrong with the idea guy?  you wouldn't have a job to lose to a robot in the first place if it weren't for him.

• ModBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ModBlue polycounter lvl 7
    Here's my advice: if your afraid of the AI, you should be looking into blue-collar work (plant worker, plumber, electrician, etc). You'll be safe, until robots powered by AI become a thing. 
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Lets  be honest,  a simple work not requiring  new ideas,  anything you can just  learn,   not  invent but really just learn how to execute  is at risk .

But if you look deeper into this   it's been   that way before too .  Lots of artists jobs   had been eliminated not by Ai but  just internet and other fellow artists easily available worldwide for a fraction of your price .  Nothing really new is happening.    

And robots will be generating ideas too , it's just a matter of time.   Hell , I asked   ChatGPT 4  to do me a certain script for Blender yesterday  and it added a few  extra useful ideas on its own I didn't even thought  I  need .   Probably someone already asked it  before but still   It's amazing how it works  for Blender  .   I am truly shocked   vs  that blurry crap  AI textures are so far  or AI lods aka  just decimate modifier.        

Writing code  is where it will shine first probably .
    My brother works for one of the big  software giants  and he is  concerned .     So  we still have some time  yet probably.    

My biggest regret  I havent learned enough math and geometry  instead all that   humanitarian discipline  crap  in my younger years during art school.     It's where new   ideas and  true understanding comes from and IMO things you should learn first hand.

ps.    What we sometimes call ideas in art or design  are really just a  visual information noise . Not having any   limitations  like performance  limitation , or  workaround something, or just any objective criteria.     Actual ideas are not 20  in 2 sec.  AI or not.   Gamedev constantly need such ideas and  they are very rare.    Find a way of better tree foliage  illumination   through modelling , vertex normals  and  shader tweaks on low poly model.    AI would have its mind broken  on that too.      
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    ....if you view your art as a craft, then quite possibly but on the other hand as an artisan - probably not.
  • John_Dow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Give blind man a paintbrush and he will paint a picture as he "sees" it.
    Give blind "AI" a prompt and it will produce nothing.