Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3d Portfolio review/ career mentor?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
ShifflettArt polycounter lvl 2
Portfolio link: www.shifflettart.com

Hello all. I was curious if I could get a quick review of my portfolio, and currently I'm trying to figure out how to find a mentor, or a course that helps lead to a career.  

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Well I like the cars anfd tech stuff, seems to be your strong point. The other sutff , although quite creative is not going
    to land you a job just now in my opinion.
    Do you prefer doing the the more imaginative stuff? as you seem to have dedicated most of the folio to it.
    Really depends what you want to pursue, but that car looks pretty good to me, same with the materials
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I'm a big fan of the paleo art. It looks like result of years of study. Strong foundations. Seems to lack a higher level of refinement in the rendering but I am sure that will come with more practice and dedication. 

Kind of curious why you are not sculpting dinosaurs for your 3d work. 

As far as jobs go, I have no idea how viable it is to try and be a paleo focused artist, whether it is 2d or 3d. But to me that work looks like it is years ahead of your other work.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah I did my degree in scientific illustration and the standard of the top guys was phenomenal, mine not so much
    My tutor was a guy named Ed wade, who is kind of a famous snake illustrator, his work was pretty cool, though he seemed more keen  on chatting than doing any actual work :)
    I think if you want to make a living just doing paleo art, might be wise to start zbrushing dinos etc as  Alex _J  mentioned
    From what i just researched paleo art is slightly different from scientific illustration? maybe more illustrative, less dry as a
    subject

but yeah just  few thought from me, it's entirely up to you which direction you go in

• ShifflettArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I appreciate the info.  To be honest, paleo art is very much where I'd rather be. I do have a model Dilophosaurus I did in Blender, that I really like. It's not finished.  But when it comes to things like textures or animations I start tripping all over myself. 

I was just reading up on establishing a career in 3d art and the biggest thing that comes up is mentor thing. Like doing it entirely on my own I'm just not getting anywhere. 

I have recently finally got my hands on zbrush so I definitely intend to persue that further. For ahwile there I was thinking hard surface would be best but that's probably just me limiting my software options, since Blender works real well for hard surface and gets kinda janky with softer stuff

• ShifflettArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey so I guess to add to this more. I've been drawing dinosaurs, in some form, since I was 5. I'm an 80s kid so wow I had Land Before Time, Jurassic Park novel then movie, etc, dinosaurs were huge back then. Love dinosaurs especially those docuseries with the cg dinosaurs. Always thought it'd be cool to do something like that.  Didn't even know paleoart was a job for a long time. Now I have books and have been to websites on it. 

Now with zbrush I'm hoping I can push it further. I really need to focus on one specific theme. 
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    so where did the car come from?. takes  a lot of effort to get that good in terms of modelling and shaders. seem pretty spot on to me. you must have some kind of interest  in modeling hard surface stuff?
  • ShifflettArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh don't get me wrong, I put some time into hard surface. That actually started with a game idea and I never modelled a car before. It was a block with a crappy car texture. Oh hell nah I'm going to learn to do better cars. So worked my way up, a few little tutorials, cartoon-like cars. Then found a master class for modeling cars. That's where the corvette and the pickup came from. I used what I learned from that for those. 

Then lately got into blenderbros. Their hard surface stuff is pretty cool. 
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    That Chris Plush Vett looks pretty snazzy, like those wires too and working with subd Srinkwrapped surfaces makes imo class A modeling, less of an overall hassle.
  • ShifflettArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     It is, very neat trick. Makes the lighting on the paint appear consistent.