Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Floating Bazaar Environment Project ( WIP )

luan05367
node
Hello everyone, sharing with you a big environmental project that I will start working on today for my personal portfolio.

This is really a project I have high hopes for. I want this project to be playable and viewable from a third-person perspective (ready for the game) after completion. Of course I'll limit the area players can go to to reduce the crazy amount of work that's going to happen. But no matter what, completing this environment is very meaningful to me and my work.

I plan to complete this project within 6 months. I will regularly update the project process on this post. Hope to receive feedback and suggestions from everyone during my process of completing this project ^^!

Thanks for the great concept from author Emilis Baltrusaitis: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/QYdK3

Replies

• luan05367
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luan05367 node
    This is my blockout at the moment, I'm trying to follow the concept of layout and focal length ^^

• luan05367
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luan05367 node
    Since my first blockout, I've been truly free from focus and composition headaches. I think my blockout now has improved a lot compared to before.
    I decided that I wouldn't really follow the concept 100% anymore but incorporate more of my own personal elements. I spent a lot of time looking for more reference images of the Middle East region. I also refer to games set in this setting such as Assassin's Creed Mirage. I spent a lot of time learning about the art style of this game and have a large number of reference images! I also found some reference images of real places in the world to ensure my upcoming ideas match reality ^^.

• luan05367
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luan05367 node
    I have many exciting improvements and directions coming up. I divided my scene into 3 areas: castle area, market area and garden area. With the huge amount of work coming up, in order to not put too much pressure on myself, I have divided the work into many different stages.
    Besides that, I was also fortunate to know Timothy Dries and his wonderful community. He will be my main support and feedback person in this project <3.
    Everyone can join the amazing community and visit his Youtube channel: Beyond Extent

• luan05367
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luan05367 node
    Besides that, here is my camera angle that was just updated.

• luan05367
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luan05367 node
    Since the previous update, I've been focusing on my Middle Eastern castle to finish it first. Because the amount of work is quite large and this is also my first completed environmental project, I divided it into different areas to work on, which ensures my project can be completed.

I had my own camera angle for the castle. I tested many different camera angles and took a lot of advice from my mentor. I chose a camera angle from a character standing on the bridge and looking straight at the huge and impressive castle.

I have also completed about 80% of the castle Blockout Detail. This is the stage where I will define and perfect the castle silhouette, as well as Modular, Trimsheet, etc. I wanted to create my own unique castle so I had to find and refer to additional images many times , that made me have to experiment a few times and replace another idea that I found better than the previous idea I did, it took quite a while but I think it will be good ^^.