Home Adobe Substance

Baking Cylinder black Artifacts - Help

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello,I recently tried to bake this low poly mesh (it has some hardened edges) with an high polybut these black artifacts appear, I really don't know if this is normal or what could I do to make the normal map bake look better?
Extra information:
-The UV cuts are in the same place as the hard edges
thanks

Where hard edges are placed:

Bake normal:

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! This thread might be of interest: https://polycount.com/discussion/81154/understanding-averaged-normals-and-ray-projection-who-put-waviness-in-my-normal-map/p1 (match the shape of the highpoly more closely).

Also make sure you split UVs at hard edges (A) and leave enough space between UV shells (B).

Both the outer and inner walls can be unwrapped to strips.

• Just_And
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    Hi! This thread might be of interest: https://polycount.com/discussion/81154/understanding-averaged-normals-and-ray-projection-who-put-waviness-in-my-normal-map/p1 (match the shape of the highpoly more closely).
    Also make sure you split UVs at hard edges (A) and leave enough space between UV shells (B).
    Both the outer and inner walls can be unwrapped to strips.
    Hi! I did what you mentioned with the UVs, I have also been reading the thread you mentioned. I added some support loops for the edges but I still have those black artifacts. Is it normal considering my low poly that it has this type of normal map? or am I overlooking something? Or do you think it would be better for my low poly to have more geometry?
    Thank you again for answering my questions 

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure "Average Normals" is enabled. This matches the advice in the final paragraph of the link Fabi_G shared.

More info about Substance 3D Painter's setting for Average Normals: https://helpx.adobe.com/substance-3d-bake/bakers-settings/common-parameters.html
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! Next to matching the curvature of low and highpoly more closely, the shape of the highpolys bevel can also factor in. I'd say here the "black" spots are the result of the average normal rays hitting the sides of the highpoly.

Here is a series of tests with smooth and matching curvature + rounded and wide 45° edges, baked in Painter with default settings (averaged normals cage):
    model

Re-purposed NM shows elements reusing the baked normal map, as it's quite generic (more or less flat strips without pronounced wavy borders).

This is just a few options. I recommend to keep doing your own tests with whatever subject your trying to do (side by side + compare) to make your own conclusions.
  • Just_And
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    Hi! Next to matching the curvature of low and highpoly more closely, the shape of the highpolys bevel can also factor in. I'd say here the "black" spots are the result of the average normal rays hitting the sides of the highpoly.

Here is a series of tests with smooth and matching curvature + rounded and wide 45° edges, baked in Painter with default settings (averaged normals cage):
    model

Re-purposed NM shows elements reusing the baked normal map, as it's quite generic (more or less flat strips without pronounced wavy borders).

This is just a few options. I recommend to keep doing your own tests with whatever subject your trying to do (side by side + compare) to make your own conclusions.
    Hello, thank you very much for taking the time to better detail the explanation, I am somewhat new to this topic and it has really helped me a lot! thank you so much