Home Technical Talk

(solved) snapping not accurate in 3ds max

Hey guys, 

I'm currently trying to blockout a level for a game in 3ds max so I'm trying to make the walls and stuff as modular as possible for re-use. Hours in I realized that the vertex snapping isn't working as it should. 

Can someone help me figure out what the problem is? Also what would be the best max grid/snap settings for later use in UE5? 

Thank you for reading!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you read the help file? It looks like you only have Vertex enabled, which isn’t enough for Grid snapping. The Help file explains how this works.
  • polyqueen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you read the help file? It looks like you only have Vertex enabled, which isn’t enough for Grid snapping. The Help file explains how this works.
    I read the help file and tried googling with no success.

I'm not trying to snap to grid but to vertex. It looks fine when I zoom out but when I zoom in it appears to be misaligned (as seen in the gif), am I not supposed to block out with vertex snapping but only with grid snapping?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I see the problem. This is related to the System Units, limits of precision, and the dimensions of the assets.

Every 3d app has the same issue, but Max lets you zoom in much closer than most apps, so you can actually see the limits in precision which every 3d format has.

Most of the time, the error you are seeing is not something which affects your assets in a real game level. 

Additionally, games will use mesh compression, which often makes bigger "errors" in precision. Technical Artists or Engineers will compress your art as much as they can before it starts to look too bad.
  • polyqueen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotcha, thank you!