Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Advice - Material/Environment art

Hi everyone, 

I wanted to get some insight on my artstation portfolio. I am looking to apply as an environment/material artist. From my portfolio you can see i love using designer and Im always trying to improve, i have in mind to tap into tech art also.
https://www.artstation.com/elenarossato9
I would like to know what i can improve on, in order to look nice to employers. I really have not much experience except school, so i am eager to get feedback from yall, it has helped tremendously before, so thank you for this beautiful community!!!
Applying to jobs is so scary ahahah

Replies

• shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    - as a portfolio for materials, i cant tell if you are aiming for stylized, or trying to create a realistic render of something
    - if its realistic, put your ref photograph side by side and prove you nailed it
    - edge quality on your stone trim sheets feels wobbly at times, and repetitive/proc details everywhere, consider more breakup in your deterioration so it doesnt look so repetitive
    - your displacement height is consistent across all your mats (especially your cobble) - theres no variation in the depth the soil beneath has built up around it, the pitting in the center is very harsh and unrealistic, and the colours could have some subtle variations to give more believability to the type of stone
    - your portfolio is just full of matte, porous stone trim sheet materials with very little material definition variety - i'd add other types of surface definition to show your range to potential employers, and potentially pare down the amount of trim sheets (if some of those are worse than others esp.)
    - i dont think your environment work is super strong, so i'd likely front load your materials before the envs, or consider improving the environments/deleting them.