Home General Discussion

first world problems : mini standing desk for laptop/chinese cintiq

poopipe
grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
poopipe grand marshal polycounter
I want to put a little standing desk somewhere that isn't my office and that i can plop a laptop and a 24" knockoff cintiq on so I can lie to myself about how much time I spend glued to my PC 

There's plenty of suitably sized (cheap) desks on amazon but I thought I'd check in here to see if anyone's come up with a more creative solution I can 'draw inspiration' from (it'd help if it'll tolerate me leaning on it - i'm not a heavy man but i am full sized)

ta

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    i have one of the small sized ones you see all over amazon. today i leaned on it slightly and the lock mechanism gave out and down went my expensive keyboard, mouse, and mug of coffee. luckily no casualties

just a warning story about leaning on these things, lol
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noted - maybe i'll err on the side of industrial
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Just fyi, i once challenged myself to stand for 3 days and not sit as much once upon a time, i to have 2 standing desks, one i have to do manually and the other electric.   Before the electric one (gifted) the 3 days i stood i started to get swelling in the legs, so as fads do they have clauses no one mentions, sure we sit a lot but i never get swollen lower legs from it.  At least i tested it and proved it for myself, just a heads up if anyone else tries anything similar.  Oh i am very "healthy", i do food studies on myself & i mean 3 days double digit hours no sitting...
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you're supposed to switch every couple of hours aren't you?  that's what I've always done
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    any repetetive movement or posture will hurt you in the long run. why did you even think that standing for days is a good idea without any training towards that goal?
    if you now switched to some rapid/strong movement your body isnt used to and do it for hours and days without training, what do you expect to happen?
    thats the same why switching from mouse to pen tablet isnt an ultimate solution to wrist issues, one is a repetitive movement calling stain as is the other. just mix in some more, stretch and make sure your not doing the same shit your entire time

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't listen to Neox. You need to stand longer. Power through the pain.

Like this guy: https://www.khaama.com/man-has-held-his-hand-raised-for-more-than-45-years-0980/
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Alex_J said:
    Don't listen to Neox. You need to stand longer. Power through the pain.

Like this guy: https://www.khaama.com/man-has-held-his-hand-raised-for-more-than-45-years-0980/

yeah okay, can't beat that guy. he also always knows the answers
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it was a joke about how ridiculous the idea of standing for 3 days was 
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Lately just for home use thinking of buying one aswell, I've a 17" screen laptop and instead of perched on my arse way longer than necessary thought it may be a good idea alternating posture occasionally. Really wouldn't call myself a sloucher per se but do find myself propped upright against or on whatever, as if I'd assumed the position at my local savoring god's finest brewed nectar...anyway ones I'm looking at cost an absolute  "arm and a leg" where I live so plan B might involve having a crack knocking together something feasibly robust, construction wise. 

I've basic (...entry level) carpentry/cabinet making skills which doing the math ends up slightly cheaper option, so we'll see...
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    So no one testing things people say (and just believes them?) that is kind of dumb.
    wasn't dumb about it i paid attention to the situation (i noticed the swelling) and now i know a lot about standing(on topic, addressing comments) and the people that talk about "health & wellness", if you aren't doing it (learning about it, anything) stop listening to others.  Much like how i never been to "outter" space and do not believe these people talking sh!t cause one i do not know them and two they can seemingly never do it again... kinds of f--king st_p1d to me.  Just an observation, gladly now i know about the matters that just passed and anyone who mimicked their "demands" has just damned themselves.  (g00d luck with that btw)  the link to that guy's situations is a better example of idiocy, also his "deity" is a representation of the one running the show now, i would link a video explaining the situation but idk how the rules go anymore here. (eh posted anyway)
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    experts say it's a terrible idea to put your dick in a toaster

im not testing that theory