Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio feedback

Hi! I'm a 3D artist trying to break into the game industry for a year now, and I try to improve my portfolio as much as I can. But I keep worrying that no matter how much I try, it isn't enough. Can you take a look at it and give me some feedback? Do I even have a chance? This is my life goal. https://www.artstation.com/omerrudnick1

Replies

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    I'd say make friends with similar interests or find those game-art-jams and say "hey, I'll help make some stuff and make connections", group with a team you can trust and start a project that is not to big/long to accomplish and make games with people, right now all i see are people trying to get into the industry without trying to group up make a game and kick the middlemen out, even if the projects are bad you will learn probably a lot more valuable information that just constantly posting artworks, that is what i find anyway.  (FNAF, walten files,poppy playtime,baldy's basics, ect.ect.ect all looked strange and everyone loved them...)

I wouldn't know where to look, sometimes i get links but i save so many links and never really visit any cause i always want to make something else and all this stuff takes years to do for me cause i got no help really so it's all me and not a discord of 1000 artist i can get feedback from 24/7 and get promoted to the top quicker.  All the best with your journey.
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! If your goal is to create environments for games, I would present in a game engine. That way you have to learn how to implement assets and generally setup a scene, which is crucial imo.

I think the works themselves look a bit simple and are not there yet. Here you could inspect existing samples (Unity and Unreal both have those), use existing assets as benchmark for your own creations and build scenes combining the two.

Also I would practice translating existing concepts faithfully into 3d. This way you're also pushed in terms of complexity. I think Bi-monthly environment challenge is a good training ground for that.

For a game art portfolio, I would also include some breakdowns to show that the assets are actually fit for real-time. 

Good luck!
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    - get unreal engine
    - download one of their sample scenes, and backwards engineer it
    - grab an online scene /w youtube tuts and work through an entire tut start to finish to understand the parts involved, FINISH IT. Dont even think about doing your own thing until you know your tools.
    - then grab some reference - avoid massive scale scenes, and overly complex concepts - just make something simple, and small - something that can be accomplished, and wont burn you out b/c it takes forever
    - realism is the easiest thing to replicate b/c its right in front of you, and your stylized stuff is lacking atm - 
    - recreate the image
    - after that, then you can broaden your scope and difficulty and adopt a new style if you so choose, and thats when you can start thinking more about your themes, focal point, composition, etc. 
    - but right now, i'd get back to basics.