Home Technical Talk

Recommendations for bone alphas

DustyShinigami
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
DustyShinigami polycounter lvl 4
Hi

I did try asking this on the Polycount Discord, but didn't get a response. I was just wondering if anyone knows of or can recommend any alphas for adding tertiary details for bones? I guess the easiest option is to manually sculpt, but that would take some time. If there are any good bone-like alpha packs out there that anyone could recommend, I'd be greatly appreciative. I have loads of alpha packs already, but can't find anything that's suitable at the moment.

Thanks

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    i would expect that some generic grunge alphas would do. 

The surface of the bone probably has a mix of some long striations and little circular bumps? Because it is such small high frequency details I'd expect that any noisy organic patterns that are close-ish to the shape would work well. 

substance painter and toolbag both come with pretty good library of generic grunges. I'd think you could find something in a library like that to use. If not available then might try free resources like gametextures or similar. Can also find high res images of bones and convert a photo to a grunge, but because there is so much suitable stuff out there already this would be my last resort. 

might also be worthwhile to look at https://www.3dscanstore.com/

if you have some scanned bone models and they have good surface detail you can bake a height map from them as well. probably can find some models like that from sketchfab or some museums have scans like that available for free.

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! I would start, as Alex_J suggests, with some generic noises. Maybe you could share some reference images, showing what specific of details you are looking to create.
  • DustyShinigami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi

I'll read Alex's post properly once I'm free from distractions. ^^; But I'm trying to add some details to this demon's teeth:

And these are the teeth references I gathered:

I can't seem to resize the images like I could before...? Or can that only be done by uploading images to something like Imgur...?
  • DustyShinigami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J said:
    i would expect that some generic grunge alphas would do. 

The surface of the bone probably has a mix of some long striations and little circular bumps? Because it is such small high frequency details I'd expect that any noisy organic patterns that are close-ish to the shape would work well. 

substance painter and toolbag both come with pretty good library of generic grunges. I'd think you could find something in a library like that to use. If not available then might try free resources like gametextures or similar. Can also find high res images of bones and convert a photo to a grunge, but because there is so much suitable stuff out there already this would be my last resort. 

might also be worthwhile to look at https://www.3dscanstore.com/

if you have some scanned bone models and they have good surface detail you can bake a height map from them as well. probably can find some models like that from sketchfab or some museums have scans like that available for free.

Okay, I've given your post a read now. Thank you so much for your suggestions. Those are some good ideas. I may have to look at finding some real-time teeth models for the time being and look at the texture maps. Try and bake a Height map to turn into an Alpha and use. :) 
  • DustyShinigami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've added my tertiary details to the teeth and toned down the Layers slightly. :)