Home Adobe Substance

Height map work disappeared... help :(

posted a photo below, but all my work from yesterday just... isn't registering? I'm on the same material I was yesterday and I haven't made any changes. Saved my stuff (multiple times), went to bed, and now it seems like it's missing. 

the error says "No output node defined" but I thought my final base material node at the end would cover this? i tried placing an output node but the material is still not showing height values. Again, same setup I had yesterday and did not have this error. In the official Adobe documentation (Warnings in function graphs | Substance 3D Designer (adobe.com)) It shows to RMB the output node appropriate (my base material node at the end in this case) and select the "set as output node" but this is not an option when I right click this node. 

limited time to finish this and could use any help! PS... very new to substance 

Replies

• CptBeckett
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
     I thought my final base material node at the end would cover this?
      Nope ,  it doesn't.  You need to add explicit output node . You can drop base material  or any other node in 3d view pane   to see your  result but still  have to have  the  "output" node   to save your result as a file  or export as sbsar  .

• CptBeckett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the input @gnoop , I should've specified that during troubleshooting I did try this. I plugged my base material into an output node explicitly, and while the error/yellow triangle on the left disappeared, I still had the same issue with the height not being displayed. But I can continue to look more into this.

If anyone else has additional input it would be greatly appreciated, I am still troubleshooting
  • CptBeckett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sort of fixed: So I have figured out that 1 of the errors was due to no output node, even though I was able to work without one yesterday thanks to gnoop. The other error, more prominently, seemed to be that my material settings were not saved and reset to default for some reason. I am wondering if this is going to happen every time...? I had to redo everything in the material, primarily the scale and tessellation factor, so it doesnt look the same but its close enough to continue working. Posting this here in case anyone has this issue in the future and it appears like their 3d viewport is showing a 2d image. 

edit, response from expert: also, for any newbies like me: the material wont save your settings. its not supposed to or that would display on every project you make. but you can save the scene for future. the exact response i got: 

The material settings in the 3D window refer to the shader settings which set how the shader will display your material on the mesh ( be that a default mesh or on a mesh you have imported). Importantly though, those settings are not saved within your material - it would not make sense to do so as using the material in another application would change the shader settings anyway. You can hoever save them in the 3d viewport scene menu - Save current State.  Then Load State will reload them.  Reset scene will put it back to default.

hope this helps someone! I'm on SD 13.1.0