Home Technical Talk

How to acquire human protagonist in 3D animated short film

Hello everyone,

I want to make a fan made 3d animated short film with this character as the main protagonist (see pictures). Basically he's a big dude about 6' 5" guy that slays/kills monsters and demons. I suspect that the level of quality that I desire to make this how I imagine in my head this might take a couple years to make especially since i'm kind of a beginner.

When it comes to the 3D models that will be in the short film - Some I will make by hand in Blender while others I might buy or download from an online site since i'm doing everything myself -textures, lighting, animation, etc.

My question to the community: is there a way I can get a 3d human person with his thick and strong body proportions from a website or a tool out there that could perhaps generate such a human character?

I ask this because since I am handling every aspect of the short film I would rather not take on the challenge of trying to learn human anatomy to model a human body myself. I would rather acquire his human body and then 3D model all of his armor pieces and clothes unto him separately.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    daz or iclone (IIRC) is probably fine for this. In daz check the store for body morphs (the official one from daz) and you can make bodybuilder proportions like that which would probably be sufficient. You also get body and face rig to go with it which is handy. 

you still have the option to mess with the sculpt in blender or zbrush and can update the base mesh in daz if you needed, while updating the rig. it's not an easy workflow for a beginner but I am just mentioning so that you are aware that it is possible.

I would go with daz because you basically get it all for free. those body morphs might cost like $10. Iclone has that shifty pricing where its difficult to tell what things cost. But the models and textures might be a little better looking than daz.

if you are very particular about a character i wouldn't discount fivver either. there are people on there who can make a good likeness sculpt in a few days for $100-200. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    There are also mixamo free models: free
    A websearch for free character models
    A google search shows there is no shortage of free models.