Home Technical Talk

Texel Density Standards for AAA First-Person Shooter Games?

luan05367
node

Hello community, I wish everyone a wonderful day.

I have a question related to Texel Density. Currently, I am working on a medieval village map for my personal project. I want to establish a Texel Density standard for the majority of the modular assets in my map. I understand that, except for unique objects, the meshes in the map need to have consistent Texel Density for their UVs.

Through my research, I found that the standard Texel Density for first-person shooter games is 2.56 cm/px, with a 1024x1024px texture covering an area of 4m (400cm). Similarly, for a 2048x2048px texture covering the same area of 4m, the Texel Density would be 5.12 cm/px.

I’m not sure if this information is accurate, so I hope to get help from everyone to find the standard Texel Density values for AAA first-person shooter games like CSGO, Valorant, etc.

I've also encountered an issue when using a Texel Density of 2.56 px/cm as mentioned above. Some of my modular assets need to have dimensions of 1m (100 cm x 100 cm) or 2m (200 cm x 200 cm), but the minimum size for ideal tiling of my modular pieces is at 4m (400 cm x 400 cm). I'm not sure how to address this. Do I need to increase the Texel Density to tile the modular pieces properly at the sizes of 1m or 2m? In that case, it will be larger than the standard size.

Thanks to everyone for their insights. ^^

Replies

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    I would guess the standard is closer to 10/cm in this day and age. 
    Bear in mind this doesn't mean you have to have 4K textures on everything - it might mean that a 4m wall is tiling a 1K texture 4 times.
    Typically enviro assets will have multiple layered textures in the materials to reduce that kind of obvious repetition. You also might need detail textures to compensate for low density bakes, like on a big statue or something.