Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer Branch via Spline nodes?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys,

I`m fairly beginner at Substance Designer, but have recently seen the spline and path nodes. I've been experimenting a bit with them. I'm trying to create a pine tree branch and modeling + bake seems like such a slow process compared if I could create it in Designer. I can't seem to scatter some shapes on the spline as needles would on a branch. Any ideas on how to achieve this? Thanks!

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    there's a tree generator you can buy - use that because making your own is the stuff of nightmares 

• Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
    poopipe said:
    there's a tree generator you can buy - use that because making your own is the stuff of nightmares 

Hey, thanks for the reply! Is this for Designer specifically?
    I've found multiple. Could you link please the one you are referring to? Thanks!
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    this the one I was thinking of - when i messed around with the idea I used the same basic principle

https://www.artstation.com/marketplace/p/ARqj/mv-fractal-tree-node-system

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I have never seen one  that  wouldn't cry out-laud  "procedural fake".   Something in how  branches change its   flow direction  or  maybe lack of gravity in consideration.  Only one from  like 100 seeds looks ok.
           Same for  branching  water streams  for example   or asphalt cracks.    In my experience it's better to photo  or  draw a few branches manually    and let them scatter  randomly  along  few " trunk" curves +  subtle deforming after by one of  warp nodes.     
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    well yeah, the tradeoff you accept when you decide to use a procedural technique rather than taking the time to make something by hand is that you don't get to control everything by hand. 

it is possible to generate some pretty decent base shapes for further processing with this tool - it could also be improved significantly
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Imo the  big disadvantage of Designer is that its manual tools  like vector draw or  bitmap node  with brushes are  inconvenient as hell vs Painter or just Photoshop .      It sort of forcing you to do everything  procedural  which  sometimes may  take you 100x time and still doesn't look right  when  few   manual touches could fix things into right  way just  instantly   on subconscious level .   You  just  feel it .    
     In Painter on the other hand  it's a pain to bring complex procedural  sbsars .    Mine works  too slow usually  and  if it's not square texture  it's  extra huge pain. 

I wish they  would do 3d painting in Designer  or have clipboard  paste   option in bitmap node  at least .  Asked for the later decade  ago  first time, nobody ever  supported.    Would be true "quality of life " improvement  imo.