Home Adobe Substance

New curvature generation with accumulating new layers in Painter?

gnoop
polycounter
Offline / Send Message
gnoop polycounter
I use Painter not very often   and accustomed  to regularly  re-bake curvature and world normals  again and again with each new layer  added.       Vs Designer where you always can  produce whatever mask you need    at any stage within  a sort of combined   curvature producing   parallel node flow doing it for    for any stage .    

Constantly re-baking in Painter   gradually turns into a total mess  and gazillion textures.

I once tried to do sbsar  working same way as in Designer but gave up.   Too complicated.   

Am I missing something  and could  do same with anchors or something?         What do you guys use  ?   Python scripts maybe? 

Replies

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    Add a paint layer on top of your stack of normal layers, set its blendmode to passthrough. Add an anchor point to that, and use that inside whatever generators you're using. 

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Benjammin said:
    Add a paint layer on top of your stack of normal layers, set its blendmode to passthrough. Add an anchor point to that, and use that inside whatever generators you're using. 

Use what?  Sorry I am not sure I get it .     I usually  use curvature and world normals    for mask generation .    They are not  represented in the layer stack  usually.     You mean I have to make  a special "curvature" channel and  use  sbsars  to modify  it with each new layer ?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Anchors let you reuse a stack of layers in multiple places, they come in handy a lot. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/substance-3d-painter/features/effects/anchor-point.html
  • Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    gnoop said:
    Benjammin said:

Use what?  Sorry I am not sure I get it .     I usually  use curvature and world normals    for mask generation .    They are not  represented in the layer stack  usually.     You mean I have to make  a special "curvature" channel and  use  sbsars  to modify  it with each new layer ?
    Then instead of referencing your world normal and curvature directly, use generators that do that for you - they have inputs for anchor points. 

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thanks guys.    I've got the idea.    Still  I have to say it's a hell of a pain.  Even more  so than  Designer usually is .  I couldn't  recollect  where  things are  just next day.    
         And whatever I try to do  in Painter the textures   are always blurrier than  same thing  in Designer  where if you code pixel processors and Fx-maps to do all transforms  in pixels  it's as precise as pixelart .