Home Marmoset

Baking artifacts

Hello. Baking in marmoset, AO produces artifacts. Normals are right, scale is 1, no double vertices. In Blender both low and high poly look good, and they are overlapping as they should, because high is on 3 subd, low is on 2. So there isn't really much visible difference. Tried both non-triangulated and triangulated, same result. No overlaping on the maps, since I have multiple, one for scope, one for body, one for gunstock. I don't have those baking problems on other screws, only on those 4, as you can see on this on the left, it's ok. 1st picture is baking problem. 1st picture is lowpoly, 2nd is highpoly, and third is baked AO on object.
Same occurs if I try to Bake in substance painter. So I assume it could be some sort of topology problem. Thanks in advance

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! I don't quite understand Image 1, showing the lowpoly with the square insets. Is it missing a modifier?

To troubleshoot, I would apply modifiers and check the resulting topology and UVs.

If you want another pair of eyes, could zip meshes/problematic area and attach the file to a post.
  • Radoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fabi_G hello, it's with disabled modifier in viewport. Tried applying modifer, didn't pay attention to where seams are after, gonna check that.Also I will attach file, so you can check if you have time, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

• Radoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good morning! Here is compressed file, thanks in advance!
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi!
    Checked the UVs after applying the modifier as it was setup in the file. The UV borders of holes remain square, which I think explains the artifacts your getting:

This is due to the subdiv modifiers UV smooth setting is set to "Keep Boundaries":

You can preview modified UVs without applying modifiers by checking "Modified Edges" in the UV Overlay (here UV Smooth is set to "All"):

Personally, to check final UVs, I will often times duplicate the mesh and apply modifiers, as I find it more clear.

In this case, as the screws are almost level with the surface, you could consider simplifying the lowpoly and bake down floaters.
  • Radoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never actually messed with that "UV smooth" settings in SubD, so gonna check that for future projects. Also that "modified edges" is good tip. I applied SubD on low-poly and see that seams are not on "sharp" edge, where I assumed it would be (according to my low poly UV unwrap), but that SUB-d stretched it. Now I fixed it and it works just fine.
    Those are some tips to keep for next time baking.

Thanks for time and effort, greatly appreciated,
    Toni
  • Sidney Eliot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sidney Eliot triangle
    EDIT: Never mind, this is not related to the question and as you stated you forgot to add the mods for the example picture.

—-
    You have 2 choices in a situation like this.

1: match the low shape as closely as possible to the high

2: Cover that entire crevice with a flat face and let the normal map create an illusion of the crevice