Home Technical Talk

Trim bevels on mesh with Weighted Normals

Hey everyone. Some time ago i saw a technique to bake a 45 degree bevel on a normal trimsheet to fake the illusion of a bevel on a mesh with a hard edge.

Im running into something similar, just that in this case i need to put a Edge wear which i made and put it on a mesh that has a weighted normal.

So far i have mixed results with this, and im not able to replicate it consistently or to understand why it happens, sometimes it looks like my trimsheet edge wear almost overrides the mesh edge normal which is what im looking for.

the mesh uses 2 UV maps one for the base tiled texture of the concrete and the second UV to put the trimsheet with my edgewear normals.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess this is Unreal? And what does your wireframe look like, with vertex normals displayed?

I'm guessing you have a bevel there, since you mention weighted normals? But your first sentence talks about hard edges. Which is this?
  • VertexInterpolation
    I guess this is Unreal? And what does your wireframe look like, with vertex normals displayed?

I'm guessing you have a bevel there, since you mention weighted normals? But your first sentence talks about hard edges. Which is this?
    It has a bevel so yeah weighted normals.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    This technique requires that you control the mesh normals to suit your texture. 

The technique in sunset overdrive pdf that everyone got excited about works because there aren't bevels and you can just generate your normal map flat. 

To make it work with bevelled edges  you have to either force your mesh normals to act like there isn't a bevel - or maintain consistent curvature on your bevels and generate your normal texture to match that