Home Unreal Engine

Workflow changes from UE4 to UE5 question...

jordank95
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jordank95 polycounter lvl 8
Ive been working in UE4 for a project the last few years but have now been jumping over to UE5 for some personal projects. What are the must-adapt-to workflows that have changed from UE4 to UE5 for environment artists? I know nanite/lumen, but Im talking about more workflow changes...are there any? I see some artists  blocking out fully in UE5...is this something thats becoming common these days? I know about PCG as well, which seems super powerful. Anything else?

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    5 is fundamentally identical to 4 except that they moved some buttons - you can tell because it's the same codebase.

The biggest changes are things like world partition and level instancing which mean you can think differently about how you structure resources and manage the way you build worlds, everything else is an opt in tool that you can either adopt or not depending on your needs / whether it actually functions or not (not a given)  
    I like the modelling tools - they're very helpful for blocking out or making simple changes to assets
    The PCG tools are a big step up from procedural foliage volumes etc.  there's absolutely fuck all documentation and to my mind some vital features missing but as long as you're not wanting to do anything too clever they're capable enough. I have noticed some issues with refresh/rebuilds when you're using lots of volumes covering large areas so much like most of the other new ue5 features it works great until you try to make a game with it. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    not sure if packed level actors is new to ue5 or not, but it's pretty handy for me. Sort of like a prefab from unity.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    its part of level instancing I think