Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Prop/Environment Art Portfolio Feedback

Hello,

I'm seeking advice on my portfolio. As a 3D Prop/Environment artist, I'm passionate about entering the industry, but I feel my work may be a bit lackluster. Are there any specific areas for improvement or recommendations to ensure my portfolio meets the top-quality standards that companies are seeking?

Here's my portfolio: ArtStation - Jaheim Andrews

Replies

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    NOT AN ENVIRONMENT ARTIST...
    Sa-du,

I feel you should add more definition to the separation of the wood the linked image has a good reference to that separation and some greenery reference that can also help.  Here is a good rope reference that would add more to the scene.

The water you got going on looks really good to me, just need to put more loving into your objects and you should be alright. 

If i were to attempt any scene, I'd try to tackle each element at a time and not the entire scene at once.
    What helps is trying to limit how much you have to do, so like a really elaborate wooden plank or 2 or 3 and that would be your wood majority.
    Then if you can add a neat system like it can be extended and have different types of carvings to it, like a wood generator system then you'd be 100% ready and finish all the wood you'll ever be making for a wood needing scene. 

If you attacked your projects like this i feel you'll be in a better position, putting in as much effort on the elements of a scene rather than specifically making every bit of detail replicating the scene elements, (that can come later). example of what i mean: (like this piece is carved here, that detail is there) Get the shape and separations then worry bout the details when you are in say your texturing program of choice.

Hope it helped, i picked one of your projects to speak on, i tried, someone who does this stuff might come along with better feedback.