Home Technical Talk

Zbrush which comes first applying zremesh or divide to get subdivisions?

dsalin34
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
dsalin34 polycounter lvl 2
What is the correct order? Should I apply Zremesh to my model first or divide to get subdivisions first?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    if you need more geometry so that you can work at a higher resolution you can subdivide.

if the flow of the geometry is making it difficult to sculpt the  shapes that you want you can use zremesh or sculptris or dynamesh. Sculptris and dynamesh or more suitable for while you are working in zbrush and just "shaping the clay", whereas zremesher attempts to make a game style topology (all quads, equidistant and flowing with the contours of the model).

So usually people are using zremesher as part of a retopology process. it might do all the work for you or just some of it and then you do some manual fixing afterwards.

to understand what each of these things does turn on the wireframe view when running the tool and you'll see what is happening. I think the default hotkey for that is either shift+F or ctrl+F.

In order to know what tools to use you have to know what is being made, why it is being made, where you are at now, etc.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Zremesher would take forever on subdivided mesh like several mil  one.  And usually you never get it right from first attempt.     Still it's a simple way to get even quads  before subdividing.   It does it slightly more clever  than Dynamesh.    So yeah   > Import or free sculpt with sculptris and booleans  in mid res >zremesh>  export>  fix edge flow and UNWRAP >back import > subdivide and sculpt details.    

btw 3dmax does have a nice remesher too.        Zremesher  wouldn't cope well with sharp things like  sword blade . Probably not the best one currently but still pretty nice  with detecting hard edges with "detect edges"  button on.       Blender re-mesher  is still  quite a lot behind.
    https://exoside.com/   this oNE is same as Zremesher basically but a bit  more convenient imo