Home Coding, Scripting, Shaders

The largest archive of maxscript knowledge online is about to be lost forever!

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
So for those that haven't seen the thread in the general section, CGTalk/CGSociety is going to be shutting down in about a week, and with it the Maxscript forums. They contain over 18,000 threads worth of knowledge on scripting/coding for 3DS Max (Maxscript, Dotnet, C++), and is the oldest and largest archive of maxscript knowledge on the internet by far.

Does anyone here by chance have experience archiving websites that might have a solution? I've been trying to find a way to batch download the threads to a wacz file, but haven't found a good solution yet.

Replies

• miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    I ran the HTTrackWebsiteCopier on December 30, but so far the results are not good. It has finished downloading the site several times but not the way I want. So, today I ran the wget(installed on windows 10). So far the results are much better. My intention is not to create a full copy of the 3dsmax-sdk-and-maxscript section of the site, but to download all threads with all comments. Then, with the help of grepWin I can search through the downloaded files to find what I want.
    Attached is a zip archive with a single html file, downloaded by wget.

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Crazy idea i guess, but ask them to package it up for you?
     idk everyone seems to adore blender now for some reason, so get blended? i guess,

otherwise, what miauu is doing seems to be the way, i thought to myself you'd need ftp access to download an entire site and that requires (at least in the past) access to the site that no "normal" user gets.  

Sure there are some tools out there floating bout but i suspect it would be pretty huge so hopefully you got the space for this (probably useful / script wise) mission.