Home Technical Talk

Can't figure out normal map error

So I've been stuck with this really awful normal map error for a while now and I can't figure out what's wrong. I'm using Maya to model, xnormal to bake, and Quixel to texture. I double checked and there's no ngons on anything. I've tried multiple solutions I found here and nothing works. I even remodeled the pieces and it still looks bad. Any idea what's going on?

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! Could you share the meshes?

Does the same issue occur when baking just one element?

Is this a game asset? Low resolution per element probably doesn't help too. Since there are many repeating elements, part of the texture could be reused allowing for higher resolution. A measure to to reduce aliasing showing at seams would be to straighten UV strips.
  • seasprout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do still have some artifacts when only baking a single object. It's meant to be used as a game asset. Should I stack the uvs instead? Would that help?

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    It's  projection distances issue . Ropes and  neighbor disk being projected on each other .  If the last screen and  UV are low res for a game  it's insanely hi res  for a game.  Lots of redundant geometry.     As  Fabi_G said  you need unique UV  only  if you really need  unique AO  for this thing  . Could be 2-3  unique disks only.   Plus the whole thing doesn't need to be baked  really.    You just need something tilable for the ropes  .  And paint holes in those disks + rounding corners shader  for the planks . 

But since you already wasted lots of time for baking setup  just decrease projection distances  and split  hires to parts   so you can make matching low/hi res pairs  the way such disk could "see" only hires disk  and not the ropes  for normals , and the whole hi res thing for unique AO  if you need it.    Also Xnormal  is a bit outdated  baker  although I haven't used it for years so maybe I am wrong.   
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Yes, stacking UVs, means you end up having less unique UV shells and can scale the remaining ones, so they have more resolution. You could have a couple of variants of an element to avoid repetition. Further variation can be added with some masks on top, either texture or vertex colour. A checker texture can be used to evaluate if the resolution holds up when viewed in game from the intended distance (texel density).

With this specific asset, you can probably save/optimize a lot by simply mapping UVs to tiling trims for the ropes and the wood. Individual elements can be duplicated/instanced. Break down the subject into chunks/modules, create a construction kit (modules, trims, tiling textures), then use that to build your large real-time asset. 

I don`t know if xNormal has a match by name/bake group functionality, else you would have to explode meshes (move them apart from each other) for the bake, so they don`t project onto each other. Personally, I switched mainly to Painter and Toolbag for baking, both offering match by name/bake groups, which is a huge relief. Maybe you get a trial to test it for yourself.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
     IMO the only thing that  really needs baking here is  that small knot connecting ropes  but not into current model bit rather  just some octahedron.