Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arcade Machine - hoping for feedback

I'm working on an arcade machine model based on the assets from Cyberpunk 2077. Here's my work so far

Here is some final artwork from one of the artists who worked on this asset: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8eooKO. I used this and some screenshots I took in the game for reference.

I'm more or less happy with the texturing (some of the metal damage needs more work) but I'm not certain about the best way to do some of the detailing. E.g. the central metal block at the bottom is just a cuboid with normal maps on it to fake the panels etc but the block to the left with the ridges is all modelled as I couldn't get the normal maps to look right. 

I have no real frame of reference for how many polys a model like this should have so I'm not sure if using normal maps is ideal to reduce poly count or if I should forget about those and focus on higher quality but with more polys

Any input on those points or anything else would be much appreciated!

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Didn't a recent update, include playing mini games on arcade machines?!

Pardon me  : /  just that I'm a fan of the game (....plus The Ascent published by Neon Giant) and generally an overweening generic Cyberpunk nerd, too boot  : #  

Nowadays, vertex counts are not the performant component to be aware of for most use cases due to tech advances, since the previous console generation. Now if for example, this object was playable then geometry is the most viable option to implement, in this situation so your asset is a solid effort especially those emission textures imo they look to be spot on, alongside the self-critique you'd shared. Anyways you could always grab a model ripper to inspect the ingame meshes yourself, to fall back on as a sort of future reference.  
  • ellie_bygrave
    Yes they did add that recently!
    I see, thanks very much for that input! I'll see what I can do about getting a better look at the actual model, that's a great idea.