Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

This is how good you can get at hard surface in 30 days|Challenge

Will I be able to complete? Only time and hard work will tell.

Wake up-> sit-> model-> repeat.

Add-ons being used:
- Hard Ops
- Boxcutter
- Mesh machine
- Decal machine

Challenge is to keep 1 model per day - one to three hours of modeling- 7 days a week. I will watch videos from dudes at Youtube that i follow such as (926) mx2 - YouTube and (926) Ponte Ryuurui - YouTube. Below my first render on this challenge from (926) Hard Surface Modeling - Blender TUTORIAL - YouTube . Will keep posting these daily along with some comments.

Feeling eeh about this one. Need more detail clustering, shading looks to soft and lighthing is off - aside from defining to little the shape of the object. Was a good exercise seeing how somebody else models and manage different things along the way.

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Cant see anything. Turn the lights on in front of the model.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
     Ponte Ryuurui as an example, is big on generating appropriately variable radius bevels for most of his hard edged objects, especially his course content models made with HardOps - I mean your picatinny rail looks so sharp I'll be able to shave my beard, with it. 

...if this is an improvement thread based on hard surface modeling?! then focus on that, instead of playing around with weird lighting and/or shader setup, it's actually a jarring waste of time tbh however if you must, simply slap on a nice default reflective matcap (for error checking potential surface imperfections) or under Options - enable cavity plus shadows. 
  • the_dlearner
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Day 2
    Today's work. Modeled this artifact from Ponte, lost the link to the video but credits go out anyways. Getting more used to more Hard Ops and BoxCutter. Missing a tiny little bevel on the edges to make these pop-out better and prob some roughness maps for details/realistic feeling. Lighthingwise i think looks better than yesterday. At least the shape is more defined and clear. 
  • the_dlearner
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi said:
     Ponte Ryuurui as an example, is big on generating appropriately variable radius bevels for most of his hard edged objects, especially his course content models made with HardOps - I mean your picatinny rail looks so sharp I'll be able to shave my beard, with it. 

...if this is an improvement thread based on hard surface modeling?! then focus on that, instead of playing around with weird lighting and/or shader setup, it's actually a jarring waste of time tbh however if you must, simply slap on a nice default reflective matcap (for error checking potential surface imperfections) or under Options - enable cavity plus shadows. 
    Hey man, thanks tunning in here. And agree, lighthing loks weird and bevels are def missed - today's model lost them too :( - and even i would say shape should be on top of whatever bevel and lighthing.

By the way, curious, aside from Ponte, do you recommend some other Hard Surface pro to follow?
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Slightly better so I'd clicked a lick in support, although I'm at a loss why you persist placing your light/s at nonsensical angles blacking out 50% of your work?

We're interested in critiquing technique, form, finessing object silhouette, edge flow topology or structural mesh geometry (wires)....etc, to name a few! but you're making the process a real pita unnecessarily, if we can't see...

EDIT:
    Ponte Ryuurui, is part of the Blender Bros crew so I suggest browsing their YT channel for correctly lighting a scene in either EEVEE or Cycles or check-out his own tutorial stuff, as well.

"By the way, curious, aside from Ponte, do you recommend some other Hard Surface pro to follow?"

These days there's barely a hand full or two, I would personally recommend that I've kept an eye on over the years but these guys, are at the top of their game: 
     (...in no particular order)

• the_dlearner
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Today's effort. There are a couple of artifacts going on, prob some bools messing down there, ligthing i think it's better? @_@
    Credits to Ponte Ryuurui for this model, video can be found on his YT channel

• the_dlearner
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi said:
    Slightly better so I'd clicked a lick in support, although I'm at a loss why you persist placing your light/s at nonsensical angles blacking out 50% of your work?

We're interested in critiquing technique, form, finessing object silhouette, edge flow topology or structural mesh geometry (wires)....etc, to name a few! but you're making the process a real pita unnecessarily, if we can't see...

EDIT:
    Ponte Ryuurui, is part of the Blender Bros crew so I suggest browsing their YT channel for correctly lighting a scene in either EEVEE or Cycles or check-out his own tutorial stuff, as well.

"By the way, curious, aside from Ponte, do you recommend some other Hard Surface pro to follow?"

These days there's barely a hand full or two, I would personally recommend that I've kept an eye on over the years but these guys, are at the top of their game: 
     (...in no particular order)

Frank Oczus has really good stuff when it comes to topology, thanks for the share!
  • the_dlearner
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Far from my desktop so on Tuesday I will be uploading the batch of three models from today, monday and tuesday. Have a happy new year everybody
  • the_dlearner
    Options
    Online / Send Message

Adding some comments on these later. First two are designs from mine. First one took some inspiration out of hydraulic systems if that's the way you call those
  • the_dlearner
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yesterday and today's effort - didn't posted yesterday O_o. Credits to Ponte Ryuurui for this model, video can be found on his YT channel
    Also, first week achieved. Here's a side by side meme 

Some artifacts on this one below going on, messing with the bevels
  • the_dlearner
    Options
    Online / Send Message

Been busy doing some other work so didn't had the chance to publish daily, really interesting development taking place and trying tons of techniques, will do a quick post on what i did once finished within next months. Meanwhile, here there are the last 4 four days effort. Cylinoid (third picture from top to bottom) is from mx2 - YouTube. The rest are from myself. Did some cylinders with additive bools as they are nice for topology practices