Home General Discussion

AI Hair Generation tool, HAAR: Text-Conditioned Generative Model of 3D Strand-based Human Hairstyles

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
NikhilR polycounter
Source:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/michael-j-black-41751114_unreal-blender-smpl-activity-7143401528807100416-_QMm?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

HAAR takes a text description of a hairstyle and generates a 3D strand-based model that can be immediately animated in #Unreal#Blender, etc. This connects generative AI with existing graphics tools. The result is an AI graphics creator that takes the hassle out of creating hair grooms.

Pretty fascinating read
https://lnkd.in/eZFJyYVu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR96dqO2j88 

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    It's a  good idea, but the hairstyles look a little funky at the moment :)
  • Klunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk ngon master
    LOL thats no where near "production level" asset !  unless the game is called "Toupe Toughs"
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    you guys just don't understand, the cool part is imagining what this tech will be like in a few years! Don't you guys all have imagination??
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    i guess its just a proof of concept but the demo hairstyles do look hilarious.

Still if it can give you a bunch of generic curves that could be a little time saver to get started. But i'd still expect that harvesting from existing pre-made hairstyles to be faster compared to typing prompts to an idiot computer. But we'll see in a few more years....
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I think its a step in the right direction, hope they can get more style down than outrageous hair mop.
    Wonder how it compares to strand based hair.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    it seems pretty accurate to me

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    They will just create/steal/borrow/bribe/underpay people who make styles and pretend the (a eye), did the thing then mix and match, tests to add variation and say look it learned... unless they have donated brains in some building underground or something, i doubt they can "generate/script/program" and (a eye)

I wouldn't put it past these people to do that if they aren't already with the record of history I've heard about them.  
    Wonder if people would still be using the "AL-Gore-Rythm" if they said that this is how they made their "models", kind of like how you got the "people" "museums" that anatomy place with the muscles... not to far fetched...i have an actual example of them doing something "horrific", so might as well go all the way, then it is just intelligence of that person or persons and is no longer "artificial" so it would then fall under false advertising at the least.  my.02's on all this "exciting" "new" tech...

Edit for reply below:
    if that is to me, I've been of the net, i only make art and research after life material, and enjoy the occasional meme/funny.  It was a comment to make people think outside the usual box instead of being a clone/thinker, i could say the obvious but i like the abstract, makes things more interesting & while thinking bout that museum i thought well they have to use the brains to right, they did some interesting things a while ago with cutting animal heads off and applying electricity to the and to try to reattach them back to the opposite body, so i am sure if they continued with that my comment is not to far off a possibility by now.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    alternatively.. it's a group of academics trying to make something useful they can sell but failing to make anything useful cos they don't grasp the problem people are interested in solving. 

and seriously... 
    why the fuck would anyone do that when you can just throw a load of GPUs at the problem and make the same amount of money for far less investment and risk? 

do yourself a favour and stay off the internet for 6 months

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    With what they have now, it would make for a better hair solution than a fur solution. 
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    zetheros said:
    you guys just don't understand, the cool part is imagining what this tech will be like in a few years! Don't you guys all have imagination??
    Not sure what this sarcasm is about or whats going on in this thread

They literally have realtime working hair with physics based on a prompt directly in unreal engine.  Hair is one of the most complicated things in 3d rendering. This needs an artist and hairstylist to make some fixes to improve the output but the complicated work is done, it works.

Thats not years away thats some afternoons of a skilled person away.
    Actually scaling it down 5% is probably already half the work so it looks less like a wig.
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    because the results are genuinely terrible. You'd get better results from an artist starting from scratch than using AI hair, and then getting an artist to fix the output. There is structure and layering to how hair is made. There are thinner hairs and thicker hairs that grow in logical patterns, and I'm not seeing it here. If I wanted great hair at a cheap price right now without having to learn shit, I'd just go to Artstation and buy one of the many hair packs that professionals have made already.
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    zetheros said:
    . If I wanted great hair at a cheap price right now without having to learn shit, I'd just go to Artstation and buy one of the many hair packs that professionals have made already.
    however the idea is to take $ away from people, can't enslave if you have options that beat our a.i.! how dare you, climate change is real//sarcasm.

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    don't get me wrong, I think attempting to make hair with AI is a great endeavor that is likely much more involved than it seems from a cursory glance, and I apologize if I come off as harsh, in case the developers read this. I personally LIKE the idea of AI, and as a solo developer am a prime candidate for using AI. However I have Stable Diffusion installed, and it's literally been useless to me for actually producing viable assets, outside of placeholder art, for the past year.

As it stands this hair is not anywhere close to being ready, and I don't see it being ready for a long time. AI is good for making pretty pictures, suggesting ideas, and as a copilot for learning. When it comes to anything requiring structure and precision that you'd actually import into a game engine as an asset, it falls off hard.