Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio piece critique

Hi, I would like to get some critique on what to improve on this portfolio piece: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/PX1EgZ 

I'm building my portfolio to apply for entry/junior 3D artist roles in game studios.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Lighting, rendering, texturing C&C:
    Pictures help (me&you) and make it easier but here if you had not referenced some helmets before hand it might help you get a visual goal to have in mind before finalizing and posting a piece(next time): helmet ref lighting and look , this kind of looks like what i think you had in mind, has the metal and leather.

The large strikes on your helmet i almost thought had inverted normals cause i couldn't tell which direction they were in some might say the same, tbh i think you still have some time to "fix" it and repost it, i also think and i am not certain about which level of triangle goal they have set for "realistic helmets" feel like you where going for realism, right? Though i think that triangle count for that piece is to high (for me) more educated people on the topic might chime in and tell you otherwise.

Have fun with it, hope you get more c&c, i tried.
  • joeljuhani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 said:
    Lighting, rendering, texturing C&C:
    Pictures help (me&you) and make it easier but here if you had not referenced some helmets before hand it might help you get a visual goal to have in mind before finalizing and posting a piece(next time): helmet ref lighting and look , this kind of looks like what i think you had in mind, has the metal and leather.

The large strikes on your helmet i almost thought had inverted normals cause i couldn't tell which direction they were in some might say the same, tbh i think you still have some time to "fix" it and repost it, i also think and i am not certain about which level of triangle goal they have set for "realistic helmets" feel like you where going for realism, right? Though i think that triangle count for that piece is to high (for me) more educated people on the topic might chime in and tell you otherwise.

Have fun with it, hope you get more c&c, i tried.
    Thanks for the feedback! I will improve on those aspects
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Additionally, your UVs are pretty inefficient for a game asset, a lot of those plate sections could just be made rectangular UVs to maximize the texel density and avoid issues along the seams.
  • JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    like iam717 pointed out, you're definitely being a bit wasteful with your polycount, lot's of unnecessary loops there.
    There is the same amount of scratches all over the helmet and that feels kind of unnatural. Also judging from all the scratches the helmet presumably has seen a lot of use and yet I see no dirt or grime anywhere, not even in the cavities. The only noticeable wear is the uniform scratching everywhere.
    make sure to have good reference, not just the manga ones :)