Home General Discussion

Uncoventional porfolio criticism

polycounter
Online / Send Message
Pinned
NikhilR polycounter
I thought I'd start a thread where we can share the more unconventional portfolio criticism we've all received in our quest to become toptier rockstars. 

Unconventional = mostly unhelpful and tongue in cheek trolling, many times condescending and at worst downright insulting and dehumanising with a total lack of empathy and complete disregard for details. 

Usually this kind of criticism when countered is followed by "google it" or the critiquer refuses to engage further sometimes blocking you.

Feel free to post links or pictures of your work alongside the critique. 
No need to mention the critiquer. You can also add a note about your self critique of the critique in Artist Comments

Please list under the following format

Portfolio -
General Critique - 
Specific Ciritque -
Artists Comments -

Replies

• NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Here is mine,

Portfolio - https://nikhilr.artstation.com/

General portfolio critique
    - This is student work
    - You should discard all of it and start over
    - It doesn't look cool enough
    - This is not next gen
    - Have you seen my work?
    - Did you just graduate?
    - Do you know how to google?
    - Your portfolio clearly needs more women/black/LGBT characters for better representation.
    - You are clearly not a rockstar/top tier artist
    - You should make characters of more popular personalities like twitch streamers, youtubers and tiktokers.
    - You should go back to healthcare.
    - Something just looks off
    - Your portfolio is too old
    - Your work just doesn't look complicated enough.
    - Your work is just not good enough in general. 

Specific portfolio critique 
    https://nikhilr.artstation.com/projects/vqL4d
    - I don't like it since she reminds me of my ex, I want to punch her.

https://nikhilr.artstation.com/projects/AbOvz
    - F*ing fat shaming

https://nikhilr.artstation.com/projects/baDw1d
    - I think this would work more for applications in china

https://nikhilr.artstation.com/projects/nQWzEo
    - Star Trek is for nerds! Nerd!

https://nikhilr.artstation.com/projects/3YOXB
    - Can you release this for free?

https://nikhilr.artstation.com/projects/zvgn6
    - Looks like bug eyed goblin

https://nikhilr.artstation.com/projects/k60zA
    - So cute!! Best work yet! This is what gets you the job.

https://nikhilr.artstation.com/projects/8q6RE
    - Is this stylized or cartoony?

https://nikhilr.artstation.com/projects/Eoe6v
    - Looks constipated
    - This is your worst piece, brings down the whole portfolio

https://nikhilr.artstation.com/projects/oK53w
    - This is too childish, you should make something more closer to your age like marvel/DC or star wars

Artists Comments

While I've considered the following criticism above, I've also received comments that counter or elaborate on it which is more useful in making improvements.
    For example,
    for "this is student work" there has been "I think your level is intermediate but you can certainly improve in areas of lighting and presentation"
    And I've managed to have every character regarded as the weakest link meaning it's seen as the worst artwork that brings down the whole portfolio depending on who you ask, except for the dog that gets universal approval.

So take each criticism with the superficiality with which it was given. 
    While I would have liked to go more into the details of the critiquers, I don't want to start a witch hunt but many came from senior artists that currently work for AAA companies. (several of whom have been sadly laid off regardless of the quality of their work)

While its always helpful to consider the perspective of others, when it comes to applying for a job there is little to no transparency on what impact your portfolio actually has in getting that art test which then leads to an interview. 
    Companies usually can't give out feedback either because of they haven't budgeted for it, the volume of applicants doesn't allow it or  employees are legally prevented from doing so.

I just feel that many people may have just had a bad day and want to unload their frustrations on the defenseless artwork of others. Can only imagine how severe they must be on their own artwork.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Where are you getting critiques from? This sounds like a roast more than anything an artist would say. I've never seen comments like this on polycount. Most read like roast, not critiques.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Alex_J said:
    Where are you getting critiques from? This sounds like a roast more than anything an artist would say. I've never seen comments like this on polycount. Most read like roast, not critiques.
    They are a mix of sources, some were on linkedin from artists at studios I was applying to. 
    They were the more general critiques, like 
    - This is student work
    - Did you just graduate?

I termed them unconventional since they didn't lead to more meaningful conversation or feed back though I did receive some feedback for specific pieces when it came to lighting, rendering and increasing fidelity.
    Not how to, more like I should improve it and find out how to using Google.

I did do this and found a lot of resources that helped me improve so not entirely useless advice but limited. Can't say everyone that does this would be as capable. 

And with specifics, each piece was pulled down for something or the other, which is probably where the 
    - "You should discard all of it and start over"
    Came from.
    Except that damn dog.

The critiques that were more like roasts were on social media like Facebook groups that had a mix of industry professionals and students.

I've had much more colorful critiques on older pieces and work in progress generally along the lines of there's no point doing that piece since it's not what companies are working on/art style they follow so it doesn't matter.

But even an anime style piece done badly provided experience to better myself on future pieces which they simply could not see.
    I would insist on this, that no attempt was wasted and that I can always come back and improve older pieces which was generally frowned upon and seen as a waste of time.

So eventually the commentary devolved to roasting such as calling me a weeb (people who like anime and japanese culture) 😂

I'm just glad I didn't respond in kind since it can be demoralizing.

I have successfully used this portfolio to apply to jobs so while I'm not entirely sure if the portfolio actually mattered beyond being a pre requisite for an art test i feel it really comes down to the person reviewing it while following company mandated protocol and timing.

I do find the experience funny so thought to make a thread to see if others have had similar experiences.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean things like:
    - This is student work
    - Did you just graduate?
    are qualitative. Not particularly helpful but it's something.

Honestly the rest of the stuff - if that's sort of critiques you are getting from coworkers or peers I would not consider it a place for adults to be working and would go back to healthcare. Or anything else. Do you really want to work with teenagers (or people who act like teenagers)? Not me.

I don't think such critiques are normal. I've never seen critiques like that anyway. The "worst" critique I've ever had here was to the effect of, "other artist are better". Tell me something I don't know, lol.

If you got a job with the portfolio then you've already proven it is good enough. If you want to update it because you have upgrade skills go for it. If cannot get work it's probably worth upgrading. If upgrading it feels like pulling teeth I'd consider that maybe its just not the type of work you like.

There is definiely a wide chasm between marketable art and what artist generally consider to be good art. And there is a huge chasm between what you see trending on artstation compared to what you'll actually see in games. So I think having clear goals in mind is important so you dont get lost in a sea of opinions. If you are trying to sell something to the public, interface with the public primarily. If you are trying to get a job at a studio, focus on that target precisely.
    Critique from artist is most helpful when its quantitative. As in, they tell you how you can improve or change a specific aspect. But its up to you to decide what changes to make. Qualitative remarks like, " i dont like this, its bad" is only useful if that person is in your target audience. But you dont necessarily care about their opinion, only if you have hooked them or not. So then its just a/b testing to find what hooks them.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Alex_J said:
    I mean things like:
    - This is student work
    - Did you just graduate?
    are qualitative. Not particularly helpful but it's something.

Honestly the rest of the stuff - if that's sort of critiques you are getting from coworkers or peers I would not consider it a place for adults to be working and would go back to healthcare. Or anything else. Do you really want to work with teenagers (or people who act like teenagers)? Not me.

I don't think such critiques are normal. I've never seen critiques like that anyway. The "worst" critique I've ever had here was to the effect of, "other artist are better". Tell me something I don't know, lol.

If you got a job with the portfolio then you've already proven it is good enough. If you want to update it because you have upgrade skills go for it. If cannot get work it's probably worth upgrading. If upgrading it feels like pulling teeth I'd consider that maybe its just not the type of work you like.

There is definiely a wide chasm between marketable art and what artist generally consider to be good art. And there is a huge chasm between what you see trending on artstation compared to what you'll actually see in games. So I think having clear goals in mind is important so you dont get lost in a sea of opinions. If you are trying to sell something to the public, interface with the public primarily. If you are trying to get a job at a studio, focus on that target precisely.
    Critique from artist is most helpful when its quantitative. As in, they tell you how you can improve or change a specific aspect. But its up to you to decide what changes to make. Qualitative remarks like, " i dont like this, its bad" is only useful if that person is in your target audience. But you dont necessarily care about their opinion, only if you have hooked them or not. So then its just a/b testing to find what hooks them.

They certainly are funny to read though, startling when I received them, but I also could inquire after them since I would be blocked. 
    Game industry certainly has the most interesting people I've ever met, in life experience and aspirations. 

But I certainly did use that one universal criticism of "don't you know how to google" and its working quite well as you can see here,

https://nikhilr.artstation.com/projects/49L0vY

I also noticed that not all seniors make for good mentors, so its really important to find one that fits. The internet being like the wild west makes that difficult but you usually find the right mentor who you may not get to know personally but the information they've provided can truly transform your art if you put in the effort.

Would have liked to have get to know some of the people behind the unconventional criticism though. I feel some of them could really use some postitivity in their life.

I am hoping more people share their experiences here.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Serious question! gonna update stuff on AS using current industry affiliated workflow experience, though of course when you've time and/or inclination to so?

As for critique in general, personally neither here nor there tbh although definitely pretty cool when imparted peer review is afforded to begin with, particularly if cocooned via a self imposed learning archetype; like you're not wholly grinding away in isolation for somewhat minimal gain - for instance me, an enthused hobbyist!
    :#

Over the years, encountered my fair share of unambiguous sh*tty posts but then again as I think you're well aware of, acquiring a finesse receiving criticism is as important, as offering it.     
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    sacboi said:
    Serious question! gonna update stuff on AS using current industry affiliated workflow experience, though of course when you've time and/or inclination to so?

As for critique in general, personally neither here nor there tbh although definitely pretty cool when imparted peer review is afforded to begin with, particularly if cocooned via a self imposed learning archetype; like you're not wholly grinding away in isolation for somewhat minimal gain - for instance me, an enthused hobbyist!
    :#

Over the years, encountered my fair share of unambiguous sh*tty posts but then again as I think you're well aware of, acquiring a finesse receiving criticism is as important, as offering it.     
    Thanks for replying!
    I didn't get the question, did you mean to ask if I'm updating stuff on AS using the work experience I gained from my previous employment when I have time/inclination to do so?
    To answer I'd say its a mix of the work experience I gained, as in once I was done with my contract I looked for ways to replicate the workflow and tools and though I don't have any experience writing proprietary tools, I found software that came really close and in many ways surpasses the workflow I used internally.
    I'm hoping this is something that is considered in future employment.

About the critique, I have noticed differences in the critique I've received when I have been employed, or have had employment experience in AAA studios, as opposed to not being employed/working on portfolio or employed by a smaller studio.

There is very little criticism when I'm employed as if the portfolio is sufficient and needs no improvement.
    After employment, the criticism is to more defined towards what I should do to get employment, then again in my case the advice I received was to discard my portfolio, not improve it as I'm doing now.

What I would have liked was more input on salvaging pieces but generally the advice was just forget about old work, improving it is a waste of time. I can't understand this mentality for the life of me and upon inquiring it has something to do with the shame many artists felt about previous work. 

I think this was because they were humiliated for it usually by their peers, and took out their frustrations on their work everytime they experienced a rejection hating on it for eternity.

This despite the fact that there was no real transparency in the rejections they received.
    Either they didn't receive a response or it was the generic "We appreciated your work but we've decided to go with a candidate that more closely matches our needs at the moment."

Then they would go join others who felt rejected and end up into a pit of misery and self loathing.
    The top tier, rockstar artist comments from seniors didn't really help their confidence.

When I wasn't employed and had no industry experience, I recieved the worst of the unconventional criticism above, and it came from a mix of industry professionals and other unemployed, inexperience artists that really hated themselves, so it was a kind of vile echo chamber of self destruction where nothing was ever good enough.
    I don't see much awareness or discussion about this. Many artists I knew in my school days were deathly afraid of voicing any opinion whatsoever for fear of being cancelled when in reality there were many professionals who understood what they were going through.  

As such I have managed to have every piece being considered the worst in my portfolio, and at the same time had this same portfolio find me work.
    Its confusing about where exactly I am to stop and say that I've done it, finally I'm a top tier rockstar.
    I certainly didn't consider myself that when I got hired, I've always seen those terms as mostly used by company marketing since they have to hype their employee roster to remain relevant to gamers and shareholders. 
    Like with all the artists laid off, is this their fall from grace? That their rockstar status never really mattered?

I did find some beautiful article commemorating those that were truly exceptional and have sadly left us,
    like https://kotaku.com/the-life-and-creativity-of-a-great-bethesda-artist-1740993491

If you watch this interview with the late Mike Nash (rest his soul) he comes across as very humble and modest despite his incredible skill and talent which is at a whole different level,  a class of his own
    And he doesn't care if others see him as junior, intermediate, associate, assistant, apprentice, character artist 1, character artist 2, character artist, senior character artist, principle character artist, character art director etc.

He valued his art at every stage of development in his artist journey, regardless of how much others may have felt it resembled a potato.

https://youtu.be/no09R_kuyWY?t=373

I don't know if people know that Mike Nash passed away on January 18th 2021, there was no announcement about it as far as I know on polycount.

I recommend also watching the interview with his parents following his passing,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C2AIRtHzvk

The most posts I found were on reddit.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    "I didn't get the question, did you mean to ask if I'm updating stuff on AS using the work experience I gained from my previous employment when I have time/inclination to do so?"

Oh sorry, I'd meant what you've learnt so far on the job which anyhow you'd answered in detail, so thank you very much for that.

I'll certainly go through those links so yeah Adam Adamowicz and Mike Nash for sure are a sad loss gone much to soon, though not only their contribution as artists but on top of, I would accurately surmise all round decent human beings, as well. Awesome talent albeit akin to the late great Paul Pepera a hard surface idol of mine, may they RIP.             
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    All gone too soon, but they left behind an incredible legacy.

About what I learned so far on the job, workflow wise I would say the work was a mix of quality assurance of game art and game art creation without full creative freedom, (since pipelines had to be respected)
    Again this is specific to the project I was part of (FIFA) and in the time I was employed, a year and 6 months.
    There is work that does have more creative input but what you get to do is really determined by what is necessary in that time frame and if you can be assigned that responsibility.

Its not a "world class portfolio = heres concept create character = world class top tier artist" 
    Its more follow the recipe that is budgeted for which provides for efficiency.

I also got a chance to examine the workflow of other projects at EA and found that what is expected of people that join is vastly different from what is stressed in the portfolio's that they apply with.

This is unless they have been hired very specifically for a single task and they will only do this task as specialists.
    For example, hair artists and material artists.

Everyone else, regardless of the level they were at contributed at pretty much everything depending on their availabilty and you were expected to find opportunities to learn and grow. (not easy to do if you're not permanent) 
    Many jumped between projects during down time and there was a lot of learning and troubleshooting. Not everything worked on made the final cut.

Hence being adaptable and resourceful was vital, which for me I feel I accomplished by working on multiple characters at once learning to see variations.
    This is something I was routinely criticised for during my student years, but really helped in working on body scaling and proportioning in studio.

If I'd followed the advice of making a single awesome world class character following a rigid modeling pipeline I would be at a disadvantage because the automated proprietary pipeline with outsourcing and model libraries makes a lot of what we do for a portfolio totally redundant in studio.

And many new hires struggled initially with this and had to learn to adapt.
    There is so much work that is reused and repurposed which defeats the advice of discarding older work for portfolios when instead it should be retained and enhanced.

Like one criticism I received before I was employed was my work "doesn't look next gen" and I should just discard it.
    I didn't understand and asked the senior what this meant and his answer was it looks like student work and that I should google for ways to bring it to next gen. 
    He then provided his current senior level portfolio as an example and declined to show his work that got him his job since he felt it didn't matter since my work starting out had to be at his level given the competition since times have changed.
    But I did get work with the portfolio I showed him, so maybe his company is in a different time zone.

In reality after researching on my own I found that the real issue with my artwork was more about shading networks, detailing and lighting.
     This seniors company also uses a propietary modified shading network within a modified unreal engine, information that he cannot share or acknowledge. 
    I mean they can acknowledge it but many rarely do. 

In that sense it became important to do more digging and research to find out how to replicate these pipelines or atleast find tools built by people that have replicated it. 
    I find that Character Creator 4's workflow is the closest, and it does leverage your foundation skills to use it effectively.
    Its possible also to use metahuman, but it can become a mad struggle since it isn't very optimized.

That said I still don't know what next gen is, so I try to push the work to look close to what is in the latest game releases specific to any company I apply to. 
    But I also learned about how many corners are cut internally for efficiency since the priority is not just making world class art but also meeting deadlines and release dates.
    To adapt to this you need more life experience than what you get from simply making a world class portfolio and good recruiters understand this.

Like sure on your personal time, push that art and take as much time as you need, but using this approach for a portfolio piece doesn't necessarily mean that you have what it takes to work collectively. 

One way I've seen some schools approach this is to have a group project when students get together to make a game level or cinematic.
    I find that to be very effective as a final project, but the ground work needs to be there to bring students to level of knowledge, skill and resourcefullness to work cooperatively.

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    NikhilR said:
    They certainly are funny to read though, startling when I received them, but I also could inquire after them since I would be blocked. 
    Game industry certainly has the most interesting people I've ever met, in life experience and aspirations. 

But I certainly did use that one universal criticism of "don't you know how to google" and its working quite well as you can see

I also noticed that not all seniors make for good mentors, so its really important to find one that fits. The internet being like the wild west makes that difficult but you usually find the right mentor who you may not get to know personally but the information they've provided can truly transform your art if you put in the effort.

Would have liked to have get to know some of the people behind the unconventional criticism though. I feel some of them could really use some positivity in their life.

One time in band camp, i mean, while visiting a L.D.R.(doesn't work), i went to an interview (in that general area) to the behest of everyone's guidance previously (on p.c.) to NOT wear a freaking suit to an interview, i listened or was "forced" to listen to said female...(ooph, is this going to end well?) i knew it was the worst idea but aye it happen, to make a long story short, it was so awkward regardless, the team was odd to me and i probably was to them, they gave me looks of, i am tried, i made a mistake, run, dude run!  so i didn't feel too bad, i tried to make conversation and it was a struggle, i generally disliked the experience.  (They all can't be amazing.)

In my head i am like, i love what i do why isn't that enough... trying to make friends in a day is not a possibility in my eyes.  (locations and upbringings matter btw) So anyway, i got to finally sit down and do a "test" and the dude that was suppose to review me was on my right and dead stared me for like 10 minutes before i started to be like w.t.h...  but not normally either, just like very uncomfortable situation (perhaps it was funny to them, i am making excuses for it) i took it serious as i wanted to start a family so i wanted the position for the money and relationship, anyway felt like they had a friend in mind for the position and everyone there did their best to make it their goal to make me not want or take the position... anyway, everyone came out on top of that situation they got to keep their position open and i probably dodged a bullet by the looks of everyone there. 

You wanted to hear one, that is the one i got atm to share, my previous on-site experiences where pretty much great, straight to the point no b.s. " Hi i am here, i like what i do, give me what i am worth, I'll come every-day there after till i am not needed.  Over time the "relationships" will develop naturally... i either like you or don't, i am not marrying you so either way, its biz as usual.  "
    Also your user name stands out to me now that i really look at it (what are the odds your name would amount to that screen name) I didn't see the L in the name so it was very eye opening to spot it.
    oh and the work was not character, so i guess all it really was, was a practice for a "real" hire, money to burn i guess.  

There should be a thread with people's experiences like this but i suppose most have their names & artstations attached and it wouldn't be to hard to associate who,what,when,where,and why. 

-I just get the general response: 
    (nothing) last time i tried, i was in most inboxes, all kinds of inboxes, even unmentionable inboxes.

-To make this short, i feel starting one's own company if one could be the move to make if they wanted to do this for any positions, somehow making it work.  my .02's keep you from being "fired/letgo/replaced", so win, win right.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    iam717 said:
    NikhilR said:

But I certainly did use that one universal criticism of "don't you know how to google" and its working quite well as you can see

Would have liked to have get to know some of the people behind the unconventional criticism though. I feel some of them could really use some positivity in their life.

One time in band camp, i mean, while visiting a L.D.R.(doesn't work), i went to an interview (in that general area) to the behest of everyone's guidance previously (on p.c.) to NOT wear a freaking suit to an interview, i listened or was "forced" to listen to said female...(ooph, is this going to end well?) i knew it was the worst idea but aye it happen, to make a long story short, it was so awkward regardless, the team was odd to me and i probably was to them, they gave me looks of, i am tried, i made a mistake, run, dude run!  so i didn't feel too bad, i tried to make conversation and it was a struggle, i generally disliked the experience.  (They all can't be amazing.)

In my head i am like, i love what i do why isn't that enough... trying to make friends in a day is not a possibility in my eyes.  (locations and upbringings matter btw) So anyway, i got to finally sit down and do a "test" and the dude that was suppose to review me was on my right and dead stared me for like 10 minutes before i started to be like w.t.h...  but not normally either, just like very uncomfortable situation (perhaps it was funny to them, i am making excuses for it) i took it serious as i wanted to start a family so i wanted the position for the money and relationship, anyway felt like they had a friend in mind for the position and everyone there did their best to make it their goal to make me not want or take the position... anyway, everyone came out on top of that situation they got to keep their position open and i probably dodged a bullet by the looks of everyone there. 

You wanted to hear one, that is the one i got atm to share, my previous on-site experiences where pretty much great, straight to the point no b.s. " Hi i am here, i like what i do, give me what i am worth, I'll come every-day there after till i am not needed.  Over time the "relationships" will develop naturally... i either like you or don't, i am not marrying you so either way, its biz as usual.  "
    Also your user name stands out to me now that i really look at it (what are the odds your name would amount to that screen name) I didn't see the L in the name so it was very eye opening to spot it.
    oh and the work was not character, so i guess all it really was, was a practice for a "real" hire, money to burn i guess.  

There should be a thread with people's experiences like this but i suppose most have their names & artstations attached and it wouldn't be to hard to associate who,what,when,where,and why. 

-I just get the general response: 
    (nothing) last time i tried, i was in most inboxes, all kinds of inboxes, even unmentionable inboxes.

-To make this short, i feel starting one's own company if one could be the move to make if they wanted to do this for any positions, somehow making it work.  my .02's keep you from being "fired/letgo/replaced", so win, win right.
    Thanks for sharing your experience,
    when it comes to interviews and what to wear, I stick to formal casuals (long sleeve shirt, jeans, trousers and shoes) and in doing so have encountered interviewers in shorts, t shirts, hoodies and flip flops while sitted on a gym ball.
    Some studios do have dress codes for interviews so this is likely not the case everywhere. 

People generally will be reticent on sharing the critism they've received, regardless on whether its warrented or not.
    Looking back I found the unconventional criticism I received to be more ludicrous than anything though it was startling to receive it at the time.

I also found it to be a great way to understand people and how they react and grow. For instance if I ran some of that criticism by the people that gave it 5 7 years ago who are now seniors, they would likely deny it.
    I hope they do deny it now, knowing better with the life experience they have hopefully gained.

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I reviewed your portfolio 5 years ago.

Was basic crits about taking Scott Eaton's anatomy class and using cloth sim (you didn't seem to agree with either).

• NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I reviewed your portfolio 5 years ago.

Was basic crits about taking Scott Eaton's anatomy class and using cloth sim (you didn't seem to agree with either).

That was valid criticism which was helpful, so I wouldn't include it in the above.

I was considering taking Scott Eatons anatomy class, but what I would learn from the course wasn't considered relevant to my work at EA after I had my anatomy work assessed internally.
    One advice I was given was to create pieces with more exaggerated anatomy, so heavy fat and musculature to show more variation, but this was more to get familiar with those forms, not that they would necessarily translate to work in studio or get me work at other studios.

I've also been looking at ways to automate anatomy since they used proprietary tools in studio and the workflow I'm using is giving positive results.

The same with cloth sim, I am experienced with Marvelous designer, zbrush has an interesting approach to simulating cloth which I am learning for a few accessories I want to make for the models I'm upgrading.
    At EA, the knowledge I had with cloth simulation was seen as sufficient, they do have internal tools to manage those processes as well.

From my experience I did find that the approaches used for portfolio work with the tools we have are made redundant by tools used in studio.
    Like at EA, the use of my anatomical knowledge was limited since they had plugins that managed most of the anatomy.

Is it the same at the studio's you've worked at?
     From colleagues who have worked at Ubisoft, Sledgehammer, Digital Extremes, Gameloft and Coalition they all use tools and plugins which automate most of the game art pipeline, so I felt that approaching game art from a more technical standpoint might be the way forward.

I do feel that Scott Eaton's class might help out in sculpture for 3D printing though I'm not entirely sure if having anatomical studies like the ones in Colton Orr's portfolio that you'd shared
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/VdZRmX
    would translate directly to getting work as a senior character artist in AAA. 
    Meaning I don't know if I should prioritise it, but certainly can after my older work is upgraded though the pipeline I'm following now.

It wasn't explicitly pointed out having anatomical studies was an absolute must to qualify my work as senior level.
    Would it have as much weight given how anatomy is approached in studio using 3D scan geometry and base meshes for topology and detailing?

At EA, something like what you see in Coltons work was a combination of using scan geometry to create a custom character and the musculature and anatomical deformations were handled by technical artists since the output was game ready geometry not a sculpture for posing.

Meaning from Coltons work I can see that he can replicate musculature to match a photo reference but it isn't clear to me if he understands muscular deformation in animation.
     In studio I don't know if that something he needs to be concerned with at a technical level since for characters they usually always use a base mesh to achieve uniformity so you don't have a whole lot of input in the technical process involved in rigging, skinning and animation.

All of his industry work once hired looks to be a collective effort, and I found this to be the case at EA as well. The opportunity to work on a character the way we approach it in our portfolio (taking care of every step) was very rare and so much of the process was outsourced/automated.

I certainly need to do more examples of hair creation, skin texturing/ detailing and blendshapes and I found a great way to make that process more efficient with the tools I'm currently using, so I'm certainly seeing progress there.

From the metrics I know from EA, to be hired to a senior position, it was a combination of headcount and budget, industry experience, published titles and personal work in that order that decided if I would be hired.
    Not entirely sure how it is in other studios, but I was encouraged to keep applying since the order these metrics are applied in can be flexible depending on timing and market.

While I can't really control the first 4, there was no real consensus on what I should do in my personal work that would guarantee getting a job meaning it varied depending on the project I was applying to.

Like at EA Motive, they are looking for artists that do hard surface work, so that is certainly on the agenda to create a more full size character, since the hard surface I have now isn't coming across as the focus of my portfolio.

I've also been looking through Keos Mason and Mike Nash's workflow to create portfolio work that shows a good balance between conceptual design and technical effciency.

I also felt that it would help to show my models with full animation (facial and body) so recruiters can see long term potential seeing I know how to create topology that works for animation.
    I would have loved to done all of this on the job, but that was unfortunately not possible because of headcount and budget, because of which my contract wasn't made permanent atleast this was the reason I was given and I wasn't the only person affected.

I'm still not entirely clear about how much weight a portolio actually has on the final decision to hire a canditate as opposed to what its impact is on first impressions which can be variable.
    Like with Coltons work,
    I found this piece,
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Ye34vP
    to be the most defining of himself as an artist, though can't place where it would apply in production and he's quiite clear it isn't meant to. 

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Oh the feedback I gave you was specific to getting work where I was working at.

You're free to agree or disagree, but I can tell from your work the anatomy is 90% there but is slightly off to most Senior Character Artists. Scotts class would really round you out and really help you level up. Your stuff was so close.

BTW Colton got work with Insomniac mostly on the strength of his 'Bodies in Motion' sculpts (which he did in my class). I know this because Gavin (the Character Art Lead) told me.

Portfolio showcasing technical skills is the most important thing. Nobody cares about your personal expressions.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    "I was considering taking Scott Eatons anatomy class, but what I would learn from the course wasn't considered relevant to my work at EA after I had my anatomy work assessed internally."

"Like at EA, the use of my anatomical knowledge was limited since they had plugins that managed most of the anatomy."

Heya - well, the point of a (good) anatomy course isn't just to be able to sculpt/model an accurate muscleman. But this is a bit of chicken and egg situation, as you seem to be firmly convinced to know in advance and in full detail what you would have learned from an art class ... that you have not taken.

Similarly to the thread about showing old work, I can't help but think that there is an underlying question or point under the surface here. Are you seeking portfolio advice/reviews ?
  • Rima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rima greentooth
    "I was considering taking Scott Eatons anatomy class, but what I would learn from the course wasn't considered relevant to my work at EA after I had my anatomy work assessed internally."

"Like at EA, the use of my anatomical knowledge was limited since they had plugins that managed most of the anatomy."

I'm not qualified to make any statement authoritatively, but....Doesn't it seem better to do things to improve your skills for the sake of having better skills, and so you can potentially make better work and get better jobs in the future, rather than exclusively considering what's relevant to your current job? It's not as if you're going to have that one forever, no? And if you only think about what you have now and don't stretch a little, won't that result in stagnancy?

• Klunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk ngon master
    I worked In a studio where we were incouraged to be "brutally" honest with critiques. I can see the logic but if it was me it would be "be honest, even brutal, with your criticism but be constructive". On the flip side as an artist you also have to learn to take it on the chin, some people are going to hate your work no matter how good you think it may be. To be honest you can't be a "snowflake". It can be tough though I think the worst I got was from the art director ..... "you just haven't got it!"

It is an interesting subject and very subjective.... I remember watching colleagues going through some of the work/ models from a game in direct competition with us at the time and it was only the negative that they saw (which was odd because it was a better game and had the sales to prove it :? ! ).... when I was looking for what they did well :/

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you guys are having trouble finding the point in a body of text you can copy and paste it into chatgpt and ask for a summary. Very handy and works for youtube videos as well.

I'll save you the trouble though because I think it's pretty clear, Nikhil is usually harping on the same things:
    • Much of the common advice for new artist trying to enter the job market seems overly simplistic and has little reflection on the real world
    • Artist who follow the common guidelines will not be well-setup for the actual work they will be doing
    • Artist who buy into the "be a rockstar" mentality will be highly exploitable
    • Artist who buy into the "be a rockstar" mentality will be dissappointed as the skills they developed to create high tier art will not be used
    • The skills Nikhil developed while actually working in AAA that he found to be most productive had less to do with art and more to do with workflow automation, which he enjoyed but many of his peers found little creative satisfaction
    • Nikhil is not looking for a portfolio review, he is trying to illustrate how people so often parrot stuff without much thought, and how this can be destructive to artist on the whole

Actually I am much more interested to read such personal expressions because its the sort of thing that might actually save some people some trouble in the future. It is better for people to be skeptical and suspicious when entering a hostile workplace, and it would be better both for veterans and new comers alike if fewer people are donning the rose tinted glasses and grinding for years to build skills they won't use in jobs that prey upon youthful passion and naivete.

I don't understand how that could upset any industry veterans because with less meat being fed into the machine, then they'd be worth a few pennies more.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Oh the feedback I gave you was specific to getting work where I was working at.

You're free to agree or disagree, but I can tell from your work the anatomy is 90% there but is slightly off to most Senior Character Artists. Scotts class would really round you out and really help you level up. Your stuff was so close.

BTW Colton got work with Insomniac mostly on the strength of his 'Bodies in Motion' sculpts (which he did in my class). I know this because Gavin (the Character Art Lead) told me.

Portfolio showcasing technical skills is the most important thing. Nobody cares about your personal expressions.

Thanks for the feedback, I certainly will keep improving anatomy, I'm just not entirely sure if I should prioritise doing the course at this time.

With Colton's work I'm curious to know what was assessed from the Bodies in Motion sculpts that he could apply directly in his work at Insomaniac games. 
    From his artstation, the work he has showcased is mainly skins for existing characters, was he able to apply what he had gained from those sculpts in the work assigned?

Its great that this was the work that got him hired, I'm just not able to personally assess how it applied to the work he eventually did at Insomaniac games from what he has shown in his portfolio.
    Gavin also doesn't have anything comparable in his portfolio here, https://gavin.artstation.com/projects, was his assessment of Colton's work more subjective in that sense or did it follow any specific hiring metrics at insomaniac when it comes to their character art pipeline? 
    i.e do character artists at insomaniac games create anatomy from scratch or do they use a pipeline workflow that automates that process (like EA does)
    I wish companies were more upfront about this, but I understand if its not done owing to NDA's and such.
    And I do find many artists holding back on this information to give more weight to their actual contribution that what it actually merits.

Also the Bodies in Motion sculpts seems more indicative of personal expression than technical skill. Colton mentions his interest in dance so I'm certain that directly impacted his choice of gymnasts for those sculpts.

I felt that there was no one piece (prior to being hired) that was more indicative of technical skill, but if I were to choose it would be this one,
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/e15a3
    It would be interesting to run this character through the workflow I am using.

pior said:

Heya - well, the point of a (good) anatomy course isn't just to be able to sculpt/model an accurate muscleman. But this is a bit of chicken and egg situation, as you seem to be firmly convinced to know in advance and in full detail what you would have learned from an art class ... that you have not taken.

Similarly to the thread about showing old work, I can't help but think that there is an underlying question or point under the surface here. Are you seeking portfolio advice/reviews ?
    I'm sure the course would be very useful in creating sculptures. I'm not firmly convinced in my assessment, but looking at reviews from people having taken the course, I can't say that it would give me skills that I could apply directly to what I need to get a job at the studio I have the best chance of being hired at.

Atleast this is going from my being told to focus on more technical aspects. 

I wasn't seeking portfolio advice/review, both these posts were more to encourage a discussion, 
    Alex put it across perfectly.

Alex_J said:

• Much of the common advice for new artist trying to enter the job market seems overly simplistic and has little reflection on the real world
    • Artist who follow the common guidelines will not be well-setup for the actual work they will be doing
    • Artist who buy into the "be a rockstar" mentality will be highly exploitable
    • Artist who buy into the "be a rockstar" mentality will be dissappointed as the skills they developed to create high tier art will not be used
    • The skills Nikhil developed while actually working in AAA that he found to be most productive had less to do with art and more to do with workflow automation, which he enjoyed but many of his peers found little creative satisfaction
    • Nikhil is not looking for a portfolio review, he is trying to illustrate how people so often parrot stuff without much thought, and how this can be destructive to artist on the whole

Actually I am much more interested to read such personal expressions because its the sort of thing that might actually save some people some trouble in the future. It is better for people to be skeptical and suspicious when entering a hostile workplace, and it would be better both for veterans and new comers alike if fewer people are donning the rose tinted glasses and grinding for years to build skills they won't use in jobs that prey upon youthful passion and naivete.

I don't understand how that could upset any industry veterans because with less meat being fed into the machine, then they'd be worth a few pennies more.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter

I'm not qualified to make any statement authoritatively, but....Doesn't it seem better to do things to improve your skills for the sake of having better skills, and so you can potentially make better work and get better jobs in the future, rather than exclusively considering what's relevant to your current job? It's not as if you're going to have that one forever, no? And if you only think about what you have now and don't stretch a little, won't that result in stagnancy?

I"m seeing it as more about which skills to prioritise.

I'm not currently with EA, I hope to be a part of the studio again and I am also considering other studios though I'm still not entirely convinced if doing that particular course would be the deciding factor in my getting hired. 

In the end its going to come down to my time and budget, after I've put all the characters I currently have through the pipeline I invested in, I could certainly look into it more.

Also its an expensive program, so limited on budget when considering the course's relevance.
    The pipeline I'm using though efficient and user friendly has a steep learning curve so alreadly quite a stretch in modernising my workflow.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Klunk said:
    I worked In a studio where we were incouraged to be "brutally" honest with critiques. I can see the logic but if it was me it would be "be honest, even brutal, with your criticism but be constructive". On the flip side as an artist you also have to learn to take it on the chin, some people are going to hate your work no matter how good you think it may be. To be honest you can't be a "snowflake". It can be tough though I think the worst I got was from the art director ..... "you just haven't got it!"

It is an interesting subject and very subjective.... I remember watching colleagues going through some of the work/ models from a game in direct competition with us at the time and it was only the negative that they saw (which was odd because it was a better game and had the sales to prove it :? ! ).... when I was looking for what they did well :/

I certainly took it all on the chin, its why I kept all the old work and I was consistently looking for ways to upgrade them.
    Many students graduating with me destroyed their work and nuked portfolios humiliated by the criticism they received. 

The subjectivity in reviewing portfolio's isn't emphasized enough. 
    But I can't blame new hires for thinking they are rockstars for getting hired.
    The majority of the students I graduated with were more motivated by the chance to work on games they liked playing and working in companies that made them so they could brag to their friends about how they were now devs.
    Their actual contribution with game dev being a collective effort and so much being outsourced was greatly exaggerated in this regard in several cases.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    @pior @JacqueChoi @Alex_J

For EA, 
    My 2018 portfolio  was found to be sufficient to be given an art test. 
    This portfolio only had the khan model made in 2018 on the left (seen with upgrades with latest on the right that uses geometry from the 2018 - 2022 one with enchancements to topology and shaders, more detail in image.
     I wanted to retain as much of the original as possible since it was meant to be an upgrade, not a new character. (like in studio where they often reuse older models)

This work was seen as weak and I was called a nerd for making it, EA didn't seem to think so or atleast their assessment of it wasn't as subjective. (there were many nerds at EA)
    When I got hired the criticism on the 2018 model changed dramatically and it became a bar to reach to get hired. (I still wasn't convinced it was and insisted on the Art test setting the bar)

Though the upgrade process I wasn't able to get useful specific criticism and feedback to improve it and had to google for it. 
    I still considered this valid, so not unconventional, but nothing I could really use, since the criticism wasn't followed by any resources to actually improve on what was being criticised.
     I consider Scott Eatons class as providing overall improvement to knowledge of anatomy and its application to digital sculpture, but I do want to ask if I can tailor that course to specific sculpts I already have which might make it more useful.

Reference,

Outside of my portfolio, after getting feedback I learned that  EA also saw my work experience in QA and dealing with patient records in dentistry to be very adaptable to their pipeline and modifying hundreds of body scales.
    They also felt I had demonstrated good attention to detail and given their pipeline to automate and repurpose much of anatomy and hair creation, for the position I was being hired at, creating anatomy and hair from scratch was less of a priority and I really only needed a good foundation to effectively use their internal workflow. 

One of my leads also does freelance work in making scale sculptures 
    https://www.artstation.com/victorhugosousa
    I do feel Scott Eatons anatomy course and having more anatomy studies could certainly help if I choose to go in this direction, but I was also cautioned that work in this industry isn't very stable so probably best not to see it as a day job.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "I'm sure the course would be very useful in creating sculptures. I'm not firmly convinced in my assessment, but looking at reviews from people having taken the course, I can't say that it would give me skills that I could apply directly to what I need to get a job at the studio I have the best chance of being hired at."

I think you are misunderstanding what an art anatomy course is about. Perhaps you are taking the term literally (as in "knowing the muscles"), but obviously when people suggest that you take an anatomy course they mean *artistic* anatomy.

To give you a bit of context : this kind of class will cover things like the anatomy of the arm from the POV of simplifying the various shapes to their core essentials, like how to represent the whole shoulder as a cube and so on. And once you become able to see things that way it can be applied to all kinds of seemingly barely related things. For instance, once you understand how body structures can be simplified, you can start applying the same concepts to, say, the structure of a stylized face. 

As a matter of fact your portfolio demonstrate a certain lack of knowledge/understanding in precisely that area. But as said this is a bit of a chicken and egg thing, since once can't know what they don't know. But that's what people mean when they suggest that you take an anatomy course. Of course they don't expect you to guess all that - but they do expect you to trust their advice.

- - - - -

You best pieces are in my opinion the KillLaKill dog and the Yasmine and Sebastian sculpts. They are very faithful to the characters and do not undermine the source material in any way.

But this is IMHO severely undermined by the Gamagori and Tarzan models. 

An art lead/AD will instantly notice that these pieces look inferior to their source material, due to a lack of understanding of stylized animated art and lackluster presentation. It's especially obvious because there are tons of great looking statuettes and production sculpts/renders available to use as reference for these characters (or similar Disney/anime characters). So these pieces not living up to their references is a red flag. 

Similarly the Paprika female character is a huge missed opportunity since it could naturally have been used as a study in modern cel shading techniques.

Your strongest point seems to be the technical/pipeline side of things, since pieces like the Samurai and Khan models appear to be very cleanly executed. As a matter of fact, some better presentation could really make them shine ... but knowing how to present a model in the best possible way doesn't come from nowhere, it requires knowledge on light and shade, impactful posing, and so on. All things that one can learn ... in a good anatomy/life drawing course.

Overall I think this portfolio could open up a position as an associate focused on things like retopo/UVs/baking, material setup, and non-hero assets (like for instance taking care of the outfit of a character).

Now I need to add that even though art education and CG software are more available than ever, there is a huge catch with current day game art : there are no hardware limitations anymore, meaning that there is no hard limit dictating when to stop. In practice that means that a character model takes about 10x longer to build now than 10/15 years ago. Hence quite logically it gets harder and harder for people to practice both the artistic aspects and the technical aspects of the craft at the same time. So in that sense I totally understand how one can end up dedicating way too little time to art fundamentals, even though they are by far the most important things to work on in order to develop a solid eye.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Thanks for your feedback Pior!

I had a question about which course to take, since there are 3 courses from Scott Eaton.

Anatomy for artists
    Digital figure sculpture
    Facial Anatomy

The Digital figure sculpture course has a section on lighting and rendering, I'm going to ask if I can tailor that course towards my current work before I consider it.
    I also want to see how far I get with the lighting and presentation presets offered in character creator and unreal 5.
    Meaning I'd apply them and then learn from their setup to create more custom presentations.

Also I think there is some context on the stylised pieces which I didn't put across properly.

The kill la kill dog, gamagori, paprika, tokita and tarzan were meant as interpretations, so they were not meant to match their source material/reference as precisely as Jasmine and the other disney characters .
    Tarzan, Paprika, Guts and Tokita were meant to be closer to the source.
    They would all would benefit from better hair, skin shaders, lighting and presentation which is in the works

Would undermining the source be a valid criticism since it comes across as a very subjective criticism. Its not a criticism I've very familiar with.
    For example with Oliver Coustons Cami how would an art lead/director assess it with regards to its source material? 
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Z8nZw
    Or even this darth maul?
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/w8wmvO
    I freaked out when I first saw them, but I was able to appreciate the more technical aspects so I can't say they undermine the source, more like as interpretations they need to be appreciated on their own merits. 

I did have Tarzan assessed by a senior artist who found it to be the best of the stylized pieces, Gamagori really throws people off because of the camera focal length and posing, but I did find more appreciation for his static pose.

Paprika can still be put through a cell shaded pipeline, I have to learn a bit more about how to effectively use a cell shader, for the moment I will try to go more towards fortnite characters since she seems to fit that well given her proportions.

+1 about good presentation for the realistic characters. Have hair to tackle and have found some great solutions for that too.
    How did you find the upgrade from the comparison shown? 

The 2018 portfolio with the single realistic character model already opened up the associate position at EA in 2019 for realistic characters (though I was hired in 2022)
    From the responsibilities you mentioned 
     retopo/UVs/baking and material setup followed a very automated pipeline with several proprietary plugins and all artists on the team at EA followed this pipeline regardless of what level they were at since the volume of characters was very large.
    Majority of character assets were received from outsource partners for further processing and finishing, and many assets were repurposed from content libraries.
    Non-hero assets (like for instance taking care of the outfit of a character) was handled by prop teams and a lot of this work was outsourced, so the prop and environment teams mainly managed the content by reviewing and making any adjustments prior to finishing and approval from seniors/leads

This pipeline also applied to projects at other EA studios such as Motive, Full Circle and Bioware (ones I interacted with) and though the proportion of custom assets differed, an ample amount of time was given to learning and some artists were more comfortable using more conventional modeling techniques (such as spline modeling) so there was some autonomy on the process depending on milestones.
    The emphasis was on efficiency atleast for model art production and every artist was expected to be a problem solver.
    What was valued the most was communication, adaptability and a willingness to learn
    For example if a material artist was asked to make lava, it wasn't expected that they would have it ready in minutes because they were rockstars.
     Each was asked if they felt comfortable taking on this task and learn what was needed to achieve the expected result. If they weren't comfortable say because they can't use substance designer, this task would be offloaded to someone who was or it would be outsourced since what mattered was getting the asset done and the milestone for deliverables was met.

The main aspect where seniors and leads differed from associates were in reviewing work and managing outsourcing partners, and the major advancements I saw were in tech art and programming which would build, maintain and direct the workflows the artists followed. 

I'm hoping that the upgrades I'm making can open up more senior artist positions which is why I was upgrading the realistic characters and later applying the same workflow to the stylized models.

For the cartoony ones true to source like jasmine, I will likely maintain them as sculptures and I have a bunch in that style to add to what I have.
     3D printing is the direction I feel would work best for them to bring them directly to market, though I did have interest from gameloft during the pandemic for Disney Dreamlight valley. 

At the time I couldn't consider it since I was on contract with EA, though they did say I could reach out to them after my contract was complete.
    Getting a positive response from them has proved more challenging given how the market is now, so until I get a response I'll be making more disney style sculpts to keep practicing.

While I am looking forward to continuing more discussion based on Alex's summary, this topic was originally meant as a place to loosen up and share the unconventional criticism we're all received through our careers.

But it can also be a good place to address useful criticism and also criticise the industry with the intent being to improve it.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I would say that It doesn't really matter if a piece is an "interpretation" - if something doesn't look great, that's it really ... Sorry to be blunt but I genuinely don't think that the Gamagori model is throwing people off because of the field of view or anything of the sort ; it's throwing people off because the face is off-putting and is not capturing the character and everything that makes KillLaKill larger than life and awesome. But ironically, your humility and respect for the source material when tackling the dog led to a much more striking and faithful result IMHO !

"I also want to see how far I get with the lighting and presentation presets offered in character creator and unreal 5."
    I think this sums up the issue. None of the criticism (my own or the ones formulated by interviewers) is to be addressed thanks to "tech". Downloading Unreal example projects will teach you nothing about striking presentations - actively studying painting, cinematography and photography will. But as said earlier I understand that it is a daunting task, seemingly impossible to juggle alongside learning everything that needs to be learned for game art.

It's the irony of game art : the job is incredibly technical, but for things to look truly great it requires very, very solid understanding and mastery or art fundamentals. I think you need to shift your thinking a bit and accept that by definition, you know less than you think you know ...

The Cammy and Maul you linked are of course excellent.

"Paprika can still be put through a cell shaded pipeline" 
    That's another example of "thinking that you know". Modern cel-shaded pipelines (ArcSys style) do not involve slapping a toon shader on a sculpted model, they involve building the model and textures completely differently.

Anyways ! Good luck.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    pior said:
    Well, I would say that It doesn't really matter if the pieces are "interpretations" - if they don't look good, they don't look good ... Sorry to be blunt but I genuinely don't think that the Gamagori model is throwing people off because of the field of view or anything of the sort ; it's throwing people off because the face is off-putting and is not capturing the character and everything that makes KillLaKill larger than life and awesome. But ironically, your humility and respect for the source material when tackling the dog led to a much more striking and faithful result IMHO !

"I also want to see how far I get with the lighting and presentation presets offered in character creator and unreal 5."

I think this sums up the issue. None of the criticism (my own or the ones formulated by interviewers) is to be addressed thanks to "tech". Downloading Unreal example projects will teach you nothing about striking presentations - actively studying painting, cinematography and photography will.

It's the irony of game art : the job is incredibly technical, but for things to look truly great it requires very, very solid understanding and mastery or art fundamentals. I think you need to shift your thinking a bit and accept that by definition, you know less than you think you know ...

That's another example of "thinking that you know". Modern cel-shaded pipelines (ArcSys style) do not involve slapping a toon shader on a sculpted model, they involve building the model and textures completely differently.

Anyways ! Good luck.
    Thanks! 
    I've been looking to adapt the guity gear style of cell shading.
    Character creator comes with a cell shading solution and there are a few approaches to cell shading in Unreal 5 and Blender which can create visuals comparable to Arc System
    Its lower priority since I don't know of any studio local to where I am that uses it, but certainly something to consider in the future. 

I don't believe that I lacked humility when approaching Gamagori compared to Guts and I can appreciate how you feel about the face since that is likely what I initially felt about Cami and Maul but atleast for me it wasn't enough to dismiss them. (even if camy caused me several sleepless nights and my friend almost destroyed his controller in beating her up in street fighter) 

Still despite how I personally feel, I really find it difficult to consider that Cami and Maul are undermining their source material or enhancing it.
    While I was initially frightened by them, I felt that the only fair criticism for them was appreciating them for their own merits and my awareness of the source material did not impact this.

Like here is another Cami by Guillaume Tiberghien that I liked that didn't freak me out,
    I really liked the animated presentation.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/49g1rY

That said I'm suddenly reminded of these cosplay videos,
    they are both interpretations of sailor moon characters,

This one is closer to source, 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvlcf1WgpK4

and this one is uhm further from it... 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SjqywbnVBY

Both stand out on their own merits and I feel that neither undermines or enhances the source material.

So before I consider discarding the Gamagori model, I'd like to put it through the workflow first.
    Its very non destructive so I can certainly adapt the face directly through the tech, making any additional adjustments to increase the appeal.
    I think the model would be a great case study in salvaging older work.

I feel its important to see how far the tech can work towards solving these issues since this is widely practiced in production.
     Many of the example projects and presets were developed through an understanding of fundamentals so it really comes across to me as just a different approach to learning which has merit.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Character creator comes with a cell shading solution and there are a few approaches to cell shading in Unreal 5 and Blender which can create visuals comparable to Arc System".

The Arcsys look (and that of modern cel shaded models in general) 99% come from the way the assets are authored (very specific modeling, UVs, textures, and manually edited normals). The material applied to it all is probably the most trivial and straightforward aspect.

Overall I think you simply need a lot of anatomy and traditional art practice to develop your eye much further, perhaps along with character model practice mimicking the art style of popular games much more closely. Tech is IMHO the least important thing to worry about, especially since a single software or two is all you need.
  • Rima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rima greentooth
    NikhilR said:
    pior said:
    Well, I would say that It doesn't really matter if the pieces are "interpretations" - if they don't look good, they don't look good ... Sorry to be blunt but I genuinely don't think that the Gamagori model is throwing people off because of the field of view or anything of the sort ; it's throwing people off because the face is off-putting and is not capturing the character and everything that makes KillLaKill larger than life and awesome. But ironically, your humility and respect for the source material when tackling the dog led to a much more striking and faithful result IMHO !

I think this sums up the issue. None of the criticism (my own or the ones formulated by interviewers) is to be addressed thanks to "tech". Downloading Unreal example projects will teach you nothing about striking presentations - actively studying painting, cinematography and photography will.

Anyways ! Good luck.
    Thanks! 
    I've been looking to adapt the guity gear style of cell shading.
    Character creator comes with a cell shading solution and there are a few approaches to cell shading in Unreal 5 and Blender which can create visuals comparable to Arc System
    Its lower priority since I don't know of any studio local to where I am that uses it, but certainly something to consider in the future. 

.......I feel its important to see how far the tech can work towards solving these issues since this is widely practiced in production.
     Many of the example projects and presets were developed through an understanding of fundamentals so it really comes across to me as just a different approach to learning which has merit.

I apologise, but you absolutely cannot get those kinds or results just by putting your model through a shader. To be blunt.....Anyone can put any model through a cel shader, and it will look horrible. That's why some older anime games when they were first using cel shading on them rather than texture shadows look bad, or exclusively light the models using fake shading, such as a dot product method, from an angle they specifically chose because it hides the imperfections. For an example, I recommend any of Polygon Pictures' older works, such as Knights of Sidonia. They showcase the problem well.

Simply put, it doesn't produce aesthetically pleasing results. It makes ugly shadows. You can see it in the Guilty Gear Xrd GDC presentation at this timestamp. I highly recommend that presentation - it's very interesting, and very useful if you ever want to make NPR characters! Basically all modern NPR characters are based on this.

Because of that, current cel shaded models are modeled differently from the ground up. Facial topology in particular can be decidedly non-conventional compared to PBR models', because it lets them define the areas used for custom normals to get a much more pleasing, 2D-like effect. The UVs are also horrible if you were to give it PBR textures, as they're created in a clever way that lets them put crisp linework on the model that won't pixelate. In addition, a lot of the animations in Guilty Gear Xrd onward use custom models on certain frames to replicate the ability of 2D animation to be super deformed on some keyframes, rather than just trying to heavily distort a 3d model whose topology can only go so far.

There is no tech solution for this. It's entirely about preparing your model from the start for being used this way, then making artistic choices. Simply putting it through a shader - no matter how high quality that shader is - is insufficient. A "straight out of the box" cel-shading solution simply doesn't exist unless you're prepared to accept faults in exchange for speed.

You are correct though, I think, that it's lower priority. Western games - which I assume, based on this forum being English speaking, are your priority - are PBR. NPR is much more prevalent in Japanese games, so it's not necessarily as important unless one wants to be an NPR specialist, I'd think.

If I might ask, why do you like these tech solutions so much? You seem to mention them a lot, but I got the impression that a lot of the feedback you've been receiving ultimately comes down to needing an artistic solution, not a technical one. You can't workflow your way out of all things. I'm unfamiliar with some of the tools you mentioned, so I'm unable to see the advantages.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I apologise, but you absolutely cannot get those kinds or results just by putting your model through a shader. 
    You are correct though, I think, that it's lower priority. Western games - which I assume, based on this forum being English speaking, are your priority - are PBR. NPR is much more prevalent in Japanese games, so it's not necessarily as important unless one wants to be an NPR specialist, I'd think.

If I might ask, why do you like these tech solutions so much? You seem to mention them a lot, but I got the impression that a lot of the feedback you've been receiving ultimately comes down to needing an artistic solution, not a technical one. You can't workflow your way out of all things. I'm unfamiliar with some of the tools you mentioned, so I'm unable to see the advantages.
    Oh totally, that's why I said that the solutions I was looking into were comparable and there's a steep learning curve there too, but it really is low priority for me now. 

From a hiring perspective when it came to cell shaded art, I did get some feedback on what was expected in a porfolio from one local studio Cyberconnect 2 Montreal.
    The studio is closed now, but I'd attended a showcase where I was able to interact with some artists that were visiting from Japan and the CEO himself.

So what they said is that as they use internal proprietary systems to do the cell shading for their characters, my focus should be on achieving those results with available methods.
    It's really on me about how to manage this technically, but what was expected was a making close comparison.

If I didn't have this in my portfolio, that was okay too since my overall character art assessement would be based on the other characters I had, and I would have to do an art test.

They also had a showcase about how this process is in studio, where they showed the models without the cell shader. The character artist was expected to follow a workflow that allowed the cell shader to work appropriately. This was taught in studio.
    The cell shader was set up by tech artists, cyberconnect 2 is small, so the artists work closely together and there is suffcient overlap in responsibilities.

Comparing with arc system works approach, I'd say cyberconnect 2's approach is quite different but it gets the result they want.

About the tech solutions, I like them because they are helping in achieving consistency across all my character models. 
    Previously I had to make topology manually and there was a lot more problem solving when it came to rigging and animation, while the tech solution automates all this so I can focus on character concept and design that I want to explore further.

The tools also match and many times surpass the workflow I used at EA, so that's makes them a great fit.
    And I understand the skepticism it gets from artists who are more used to conventional methods.

The artistic solutions proposed here would certianly help with my overall development, in studio I found that difficult to put into practise.
    Like one of my leads is a very good fine artist, but he is unable to use much of this knowledge in studio because of the way the workflow is set up.

Certainly his eye for realism is strong, but this was often limited by the technical aspects to get the models into game.

For example, we had to deal with a change of rig mid cycle to allow for better deformations in the shoulder area. Not that the previous solution was a detriment but it was necessary to accomodate new clothing solutions.

For my lead it could be better still, but the changes he requested couldn't be incorporated since applying them across a 200 or so characters across several generations just wasn't feasable. So the character pose is certainly not something Scott Eaton would agree on but its necessary to allow the motion system to function. 

So while it was good to have that eye, applying it came down to several factors and tech seemed to dominate the result in the end. 

Even with hair solutions, ideally it would be great to use a more standard solution for hair creation allowing a vast assortment of custom styles made from the ground up, but this just isn't possible.
    So this would be limited to star players, and even here the process was heavily automated and hair was repurposed and modified.
    Some styles just weren't possible given technical limitations for simulations which were set by the engine.

And not once did I have to create anything close to an anatomy study or even present it as a turnaround. 
    We were working on a schedule, and there is a process to follow, so presentation was limited to simple turnarounds that were submitted to a database with tasks assigned down the assembly line.

I didn't personally meet anyone who had done scott eatons anatomy course, their opinion was that it wasn't necessary for the workflow used internally but could certainly have merit on overall artistic development. 
    It certainly wasn't a factor when it came to being hired, all they really expected was for me have content that justified giving an art test.

I do think the course would help a great deal for making scale sculptures so I can certainly consider it then.

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    There is a lot being said here so apologies if I miss something, however Scott Eaton's Anatomy for Artist's course is one of the best I've ever taken. Anatomy is extremely important even if you aren't sculpting bodies at your job because everything a character wears sits on top of the anatomy and certain shapes will be influenced by the anatomical structure underneath. At my current job we design armor that made on one gender and fit onto another. Other than dealing with some existing jank, which there will always be, a great effort has been made to make sure the armor better fits rather than just use the auto-retarget solution, which can distort things in unappealing ways. The quality has gone up majorly as a result, and a lot of it extends from some basic anatomical knowledge to help make things "feel" right or the best they possibly can. I've had interviews where we talk about the course because it was listed on a resume and it's become kind of shorthand for "you know your shit" The course for artistic anatomy is just that good and there is a reason it's recommended.

As far as the "interpretation" feedback for your Tarzan and Gamagori, I think you should listen to Pior, they need a lot of work, artistic work to make them shine as your own interpretation. The Camy and Darth Maul example you gave are a great contrast because although the Camy's stylization in particular is not my cup of tea, it's so technically well executed in every other aspect that it's impossible to ignore the artistic skill that went into it. The anatomy on both are solid, even if they are more simplified, the material reads are good, the presentation and execution of the models are top-notch. If I were to contrast this to your Tarzan and Gamagori, the anatomy is kind of blobby and melty, shows a lack of understanding for the forms, the material reads are both one-note and flat on both and the presentations could be improved. They are both styled in a way where it looks like you are trying to match the source material, but you aren't hitting it even on the most basic shape level for both. That is not subjective, that is objective. If you wanted to give them a fair shake of being your own interpretation, they have to be solid on every artistic level or you have to have an existing concept to point to so people know that is what you're trying to hit. Otherwise, we're going to assume you're going to try and create it based on the source material.

I also understand the frustration of the work to get into the industry doesn't feel like it matches the work you'll actually be doing. It's a bit of whiplash, and I honestly don't know the solution to fix it. We maybe had it during the pandemic when hiring was booming across the board and it felt like we were starting to be open to the ideas of having more junior positions... The barrier to entry was lower and people with still-developing skills could come in and learn what the pipeline is actually like at a studio.  however within the last year that has all collapsed and it's back to more how it used to be... Who knows if it will change. Even so, having both a good grasp of artistic and technical knowledge will help and take you far, work that has a deficient in one or the other do stand out in a negative way, even if the people giving a critique can't fully explain why. Giving critiques is also kind of an art itself ;)
    It can go the opposite way too, I've definitely met a fair share of artists who are great artistically, but flounder once they get to anything technical. The merging of both the technical and artistic is why I imagine a lot of us like to work in games, it's a never-ending problem to solve, always limitations to work with but we still have to make things look as good as possible.

I've had my fair share of oddball critiques, but you kind of have to let them roll off of you, some critiques mean well but don't understand what you're trying to do. For the abrasive ones, they aren't worth paying attention to or wasting energy on, neither are the people who give them.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Thanks for your perspective!
    Thats really interesting how they do armor design at Bungie. I have used tools at the studio that refits the clothing automatically to the base geometry that can be then adjusted by tech artists using morphs. Kinda like an internal character creator for developers.
    So there isn't any real anatomy work that artists have to do at sculpt level at all to resize and adapt clothing and the same tool is used for armors (in Dragon Age) though it was modified by the tech artists on that project for this purpose.
    Its likely because of the volume of the work that needs to be done, that they created this system.

I'd still prefer to first see how much I can push my artwork with the workflow I'm using, before I consider Scott Eatons Anatomy Course, since getting this workflow down should help me tailor that course more appropriately  to my needs.
    This workflow allows me many ways to adapt and blend my anatomical work with scan geometry and morphs giving me a very seamless and non destructive workflow similar to the one I saw at EA.
    My approach is more hybrid since I want to keep my anatomy details over the one provided by the body scan.

With Tarzan, Gamagori, Camy and Darth Maul I was more trying to address first impressions of cool or cringe.
    I always look into the details and execution and I'm adapting my models towards that with the upgrades. 

Personally I'm not a fan of contrasting or comparing artworks between artists, especially stylized work since it becomes very subjective even when objective aspects are assessed.
    I wasn't really aware about how interpretations were assessed, I'm still getting very mixed persepectives on both the older works to this day, so I've been trying to push them through the workflow to see what I can improve.

Since you've done Scott Eatons class, do you have samples of work that showed how you improved after taking that course and how that positively impacted being hired?

I was aware that the course does have a postive effect on Interviews, not sure if having done that course should be seen as a validation of ones artistic anatomical knowledge but I do hope its knowledge is applied considerable at a workplace to justify its relevance.
    At EA tech solutions are prioritised for anatomy, so not a lot of opportunity to apply anatomical knowledge, or rather it is applied to build plugins to automate the process. 

I'd also be interested in learning more about what your portfolio was like each time you were hired at different companies during your career.
    I have found that the portfolio matters less and less the more work experience and published titles you have, so there seems to be lot of flexibility on what impact a portfolio actually has during the hiring process.

For EA, the portfolio is only assessed for the minimal needed to give out art-tests for new hires.
    Candidates applying for a second engagment or intermediate/senior positions would be assessed for revisions that they hopefully became aware about through their first engagement and have addressed in their portfolios.
    While there was more budget and headcount to hire during the pandemic, their hiring metrics have remained consistent from what I learned speaking with coworkers and looking over their portfolios over several years.

With regards to how portfolios are assessed, I feel it really comes down to a lot of factors but some artists are really convinced about what it takes and the consensus seems to be to keep improving which is good in the long run for an artists overall development.

For example I had reservations about this perspective since I didn't find it being applied accross the board nor could I understand why matching a games screenshot was a prerequisite to being hired as a student. 

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/deldrakewalker_ill-keep-this-post-as-succinct-as-possible-activity-7148391503977930752-6l-3?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

I added my comments to the post at the link.

Appreciate your input about finding a balance between artistic and technical skill. I did feel that I was lacking in both and I am hoping they see improvements through the new year.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "For example I had reservations about this perspective since I didn't find it being applied accross the board nor could I understand why matching a games screenshot was a prerequisite to being hired as a student."

Come on ... No one is talking about "matching a game's screenshot" or it being a "prerequisite" (although that can be very cool, and certainly a way to get noticed). What this 👏 Senior 👏Character 👏 Artist is trying to say is that if an applicant isn't even trying to match the quality and style of the studio they are applying at, then they are simply demonstrating that they are not willing to put in the effort (on top of obviously demonstrating that they are not fit for the role). Now such an applicant has all the right in the world to not be interested in bettering themselves ; but they'll definitely be set aside in favor of the next applicant who *did* put in the work. It's as simple as that really, and IMHO that's what makes this kind of application/hiring process so very fair.

The kicker is that putting in this effort isn't necessarily hard, or even long ! It just requires a well-trained analytical mind and practical knowledge. The applicant being straight out of school or not is really quite irrelevant. After all, anyone can *try* - as even an attempt at bettering onself and ones work is better than nothing. And none of this requres any special software or complex technical knowledge anyways. One could very well start from a regular realistic elf model and rework it into a stylized/comic/anime version in a few days for instance. And then spending a day or so on presentation.

Now I can totally understand why one may not be familiar with this kind of logic. But the reasonable approach isn't to outright reject it because of this or that reason ; but rather, to try and understand what is being meant and why.

Lastly, while there *are* some asset implementation positions that do not require much art knowledge yet may still be referred to as "game art", that doesn't mean that this is the case accross the board. As mentionned earlier I think you are simply getting confused by labels and the meanings you personally assign to them. Perhaps try to erase from your mind terms like "junior", "senior", "artist" and so on, and simply consider the job openings for what they actually are - otherwise you may end up spending a lot of time on some not-so-productive things. And in the meantime, there is perhaps someone else out there laser focused on bettering themselves, who you might be competing with for the next job opening you'll be aplying to ...

Anyways - some aspects of all this are quick to do (reworking a sculpt, doing clean presentations) ; while some others do take years of preliminary study to grasp or master (like getting a feel for how anatomy influences armor design). So there's nothing wrong with being at this or that stage really, things take time.
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    crazy how high our standards are, just to be laid off once projects are complete
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think there is two separate things being discussed.

pior and others are explaining what a job seeker has to do to stand out in a crowded market. It's all perfectly logical, you have to have more attractive art than others.

Nikhil is questioning whether or not this is actually a useful measure for some game studios. So I think the focus on whether or not Nikhils art is up to snuff is besides the point.

Personally I think for like 99% of games, nikhils characters would be perfectly sufficient in terms of quality. Can they be improved? Of course. We can always improve our art. Is the person who stays up all night to put all the finishing touches on some character to meet a deadline the best person for a job? If you want to race to the bottom. That's what the employer would like: work harder, put more hours in, and as soon as I can I dump your ass. Thanks, chump. All you need to know that this is true is the fact that they go after college kids. Why else would you want a college age kid to work for you?

So I don't see how artist holding each other to higher than necessary quality standards is doing themselves any favor. It should be something more like, "this is the minimum bar and if people meet it, then they are part of the brotherhood and we all watch out for each other." People should be discussing their compensation, not keeping it a secret. If one artist is doing equal work and not getting equal pay there should be a riot.

Of course I like to see the beautifully crafted models like some people make here in the 3d showcase section, like that one guy who does the realistic knights - but models like that take like a year + to make and you never see things like that in any game. Sometimes you see models of such quality in cinematics of like Call of Duty but that's it.  I mean fire up any recent AAA game and look at the actual gameplay and you are not seeing anything like what you'll find on artstation. So the "git gud" mentality is just artist harming artist.

It seems to me that speed and adaptability are generally more applicable qualities for game art than high end quality is. Like, say lets compare nikhil versus some other character artist who has characters that are as good as the best characters you'll find in a call of duty cinematic. But the high tier artist is accustomed to linearly making characters like this, and they find it very difficult to deviate from their established workflow, and even more difficult to make lower quality characters in a timely manner.
    And lets say that nikhil cannot reach that quality no matter how hard he tries, either because he just doesnt have the drive or the vision or whatever. But he can make "fine" characters rapidly and adjust to big changes with little downtime. I have a hard time imagining many game development scenarios where nikhil (in this imaginary example) is not a better employee than the higher tier artist.
    Another situation might be that the high tier artist is better than nikhil in terms of quality and speed. But if I have no use for the top end of quality (most games wont) then that artist is wasted in terms of getting job satisfaction from working at their potential.
    Of course this is like comparing apples and oranges. They are different types of artist with different types of skills. But if the general advice is "be the top tier guy" it's pretty much useless for the majority of people who will never be that guy, and it's also misaligned with what game art actually needs.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    pior said:
    "For example I had reservations about this perspective since I didn't find it being applied accross the board nor could I understand why matching a games screenshot was a prerequisite to being hired as a student."

Come on ... No one is talking about "matching a game's screenshot" or it being a "prerequisite" (although that can be very cool, and certainly a way to get noticed). What this 👏 Senior 👏Character 👏 Artist is trying to say is that if an applicant isn't even trying to match the quality and style of the studio they are applying at, then they are simply demonstrating that they are not willing to put in the effort (on top of obviously demonstrating that they are not fit for the role). Now such an applicant has all the right in the world to not be interested in bettering themselves ; but they'll definitely be set aside in favor of the next applicant who *did* put in the work. It's as simple as that really, and IMHO that's what makes this kind of application/hiring process so very fair.

The kicker is that putting in this effort isn't necessarily hard, or even long ! It just requires a well-trained analytical mind and practical knowledge. The applicant being straight out of school or not is really quite irrelevant. After all, anyone can *try* - as even an attempt at bettering onself and ones work is better than nothing. And none of this requres any special software or complex technical knowledge anyways. One could very well start from a regular realistic elf model and rework it into a stylized/comic/anime version in a few days for instance. And then spending a day or so on presentation.

Now I can totally understand why one may not be familiar with this kind of logic. But the reasonable approach isn't to outright reject it because of this or that reason ; but rather, to try and understand what is being meant and why.

Lastly, while there *are* some asset implementation positions that do not require much art knowledge yet may still be referred to as "game art", that doesn't mean that this is the case accross the board. As mentionned earlier I think you are simply getting confused by labels and the meanings you personally assign to them. Perhaps try to erase from your mind terms like "junior", "senior", "artist" and so on, and simply consider the job openings for what they actually are - otherwise you may end up spending a lot of time on some not-so-productive things. And in the meantime, there is perhaps someone else out there laser focused on bettering themselves, who you might be competing with for the next job opening you'll be aplying to ...

Anyways - some aspects of all this are quick to do (reworking a sculpt, doing clean presentations) ; while some others do take years of preliminary study to grasp or master (like getting a feel for how anatomy influences armor design). So there's nothing wrong with being at this or that stage really, things take time.
    I'm not entirely certain if Del Walker meant it as you explained.
    His take seems to come from his personal experience given a comment he had posted,

I don't think Del understood that what I meant was meeting minimum requirements to become eligible for art tests for entry level positions. 

He also works at Naughty dog which is famous for their perfectionist game art standard and the inhumane crunch they put artists through to achieve it,
    https://kotaku.com/as-naughty-dog-crunches-on-the-last-of-us-ii-developer-1842289962

In that sense he seems a perfect fit for that studio, and that emphasizes why it is important to do ones due diligence and research studio workflow and culture before applying. 

Its a good persepective to analyze and I hope he addresses these two comments that were made, in addition to my question,
    " if the studio makes multiple games and the listing doesn't mention the game you'd be working on should your portfolio contain examples of work matching the quality of game art for every game license that is publicly known to be in development?
    How would you account for games being developed under NDA's?"

Its difficult for me personally to consider that an applicant's artwork not matching screenshot is simply demonstrating that they are not willing to put in the effort or demonstrating that they are not fit for the role.
    I can see that angle if comparing applicants purely based on their artwork is the primary metric used, which I have found to not be the case in every studio/project.

Speaking from experience, once applicants were hired having fulfilled the minimum requirments, they were expected to put in the effort and I didn't meet a single candidate that wasn't willing to.
    The art pipeline was engineered that anyone meeting this minimum could do the work no problem and there was variable opportunity to develop skillsets within this framework.

Like it would be weird for anyone applying to work at a company, and requiring to learn internal workflows to be unwilling to put in the work, unless of course they had personal challenges such as learning disabilities which were accomodated for.

Also its a fact that published games are patched and remastered so its a perpetual work in progress as far as budget allows, matching a game screenshot shouldn't necessary suggest a candidates willingness to put in effort.
    In fact it might suggest more conformity, lack of adaptability and likelyhood to be easily frustrated by changes.

For example if I had to apply to a studio who's work is not AAA standard by quality metrics, should I downgrade my application to better fit their current offerings, or provide them with work that could upgrade their overall quality on future games.

Should I match Watchdogs E3 or Watchdogs PC release ultra settings, or Watchdogs modded with Source Textures Collection/Nextgen Graphics Overhaul 2?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX4HTUuCy3k

In that sense, the matching of a game screen shot feels like a minimum, rather than some measure of exceptional skill. 
    But I still don't see any cohesiveness in it being used as a metric about an applicants work ethic.

There really needs to be more due diligence on a candidates capabilities, but I'm also feeling that the roles being offered are highly exaggerated in their relevance and responsibilities at many studios for marketing purposes.

Matching a game screen shot could be considered a minimum at some studios, but thankfully atleast in my experience it was seen as something to aspire to not something that absolutely decided if the candidate would be hired or not.

And yes I share your perspective on improving ones art and also understand what it takes to do so, I just don't agree with the bravado seen around it which doesn't seem to match the reality of hiring processes and the layoffs that follow.

It concerns me that its very possible that seniors and art directors may be hindering the hiring process by setting unrealistic and unreasonable standards for candidate portfolios when it might be more prudent and efficient to set healthy minimums that meet professional quality requirements without the egotrip that accompanies it.

zetheros said:
    crazy how high our standards are, just to be laid off once projects are complete
    Absolutely this and its horrible.

I would think that for someone applying to any studio, they would try to make their art match what they've seen in game, but there's more to a candidate that their art, and using artwork as the sole determinant and putting it across so succintly without saying that this is clearly not how it is across the industry seems to have more to do with the pride he feels for being where he is in his career than the actual reality.

Atleast in my experience, studios I worked with valued a variety of skill levels in candidates, and this is assessed through a portfolio review for miminum requirements followed by art test and interview.
    You didn't have to match the games art to be eligible for an art test but meet the minimum metric which wasn't exactly low, but provided a good idea of what to expect from a candidate's performance in an art test.

So more along the lines of,
    "While this candidates portfolio and art test don't match the photo reference 1:1 there is a clear demonstration of skill and ability that can be further developed through adapting it to our internal workflow and supportive team environment."

And the availabilty of a position was impacted by headcount and budget which could make candidate requirements more flexible, so you may spend months trying to perfect your art to apply, but it wasn't really necessary and regardless of the quality you hit you'd have to start at the beginning like everyone else starting out since it really is just business in the end. (don't want to spend more than the market rate unless you really need to)

Alex_J said:
    All you need to know that this is true is the fact that they go after college kids. Why else would you want a college age kid to work for you?

So I don't see how artist holding each other to higher than necessary quality standards is doing themselves any favor. It should be something more like, "this is the minimum bar and if people meet it, then they are part of the brotherhood and we all watch out for each other." People should be discussing their compensation, not keeping it a secret. If one artist is doing equal work and not getting equal pay there should be a riot.

Of course I like to see the beautifully crafted models like some people make here in the 3d showcase section, like that one guy who does the realistic knights - but models like that take like a year + to make and you never see things like that in any game. Sometimes you see models of such quality in cinematics of like Call of Duty but that's it.  I mean fire up any recent AAA game and look at the actual gameplay and you are not seeing anything like what you'll find on artstation. So the "git gud" mentality is just artist harming artist.

It seems to me that speed and adaptability are generally more applicable qualities for game art than high end quality is. Like, say lets compare nikhil versus some other character artist who has characters that are as good as the best characters you'll find in a call of duty cinematic. But the high tier artist is accustomed to linearly making characters like this, and they find it very difficult to deviate from their established workflow, and even more difficult to make lower quality characters in a timely manner.
    And lets say that nikhil cannot reach that quality no matter how hard he tries, either because he just doesnt have the drive or the vision or whatever. But he can make "fine" characters rapidly and adjust to big changes with little downtime. I have a hard time imagining many game development scenarios where nikhil (in this imaginary example) is not a better employee than the higher tier artist.
    Another situation might be that the high tier artist is better than nikhil in terms of quality and speed. But if I have no use for the top end of quality (most games wont) then that artist is wasted in terms of getting job satisfaction from working at their potential.
    Of course this is like comparing apples and oranges. They are different types of artist with different types of skills. But if the general advice is "be the top tier guy" it's pretty much useless for the majority of people who will never be that guy, and it's also misaligned with what game art actually needs.

What you don't often see in production art are fine artists that have done masters/phd's at elite well respected universities, if anyone has the strongest knowledge of art fundamentals, its them and I don't see AAA companies having recruiting drives at these campuses.

Its very true about speed and adaptablitiy being more applicable. 
    High end quality is good to aspire to, but it isn't realistic when you end up with situations like this,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo_Rz1xPOXI
    And certainly not something to burn yourself out on.

My motivation to improve wasn't because I wanted to stand out in the hiring process, I would do this when employed as well and while I hope that this translates to job satisfaction and studio productivity I am content that I am learning from experience and raising awareness to assist other artists where I can.

• Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    @NikhilR I'm going to be a little blunt. This thread is full of a ton of really good advice from some very experienced and skilled artists, followed up by a bunch of reasons for why you think you should dismiss that advice. Its reading like there might be a bit of Dunning-Kruger effect going on here. 

I won't go over every single post, but your reaction to the recommendations to study anatomy and consider Scott Eaton's courses are a great example. @JacqueChoi and @pior were spot on in their recommendations and critiques. You should consider the possibility that their experience and expertise allow them to recognize shortcomings in your work (as well as the solutions to those shortcomings) that you just don't yet have the knowledge to recognize yourself, which is precisely what courses like Scott Eaton's would provide you with.

The reason you learn anatomy is not only so you can sculpt perfectly detailed, hyper-realistic figure sculptures. You must absolutely master anatomy if you want to make successful stylized characters like the Disney and anime characters in your portfolio. Some might say its even more important. At the end of the day, those kinds of stylized characters are an abstraction, and if you haven't mastered the source of that abstraction, then you have no hope of making the correct decisions about silhouette, proportion, form, etc. when you are translating your source material to 3D.

Edit: I just wanted to be clear that I am not posting this to berate you. Its clear that you are very passionate about this field, and I want you to succeed, which is why I took the time to post. I think that the sooner you recognize that this is going on, the sooner you will begin to improve your work. Best of luck!
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    @NikhilR I'm going to be a little blunt. This thread is full of a ton of really good advice from some very experienced and skilled artists, followed up by a bunch of reasons for why you think you should dismiss that advice. Its reading like there might be a bit of Dunning-Kruger effect going on here. 

I won't go over every single post, but your reaction to the recommendations to study anatomy and consider Scott Eaton's courses are a great example. @JacqueChoi and @pior were spot on in their recommendations and critiques. You should consider the possibility that their experience and expertise allow them to recognize shortcomings in your work (as well as the solutions to those shortcomings) that you just don't yet have the knowledge to recognize yourself, which is precisely what courses like Scott Eaton's would provide you with.

The reason you learn anatomy is not only so you can sculpt perfectly detailed, hyper-realistic figure sculptures. You must absolutely master anatomy if you want to make successful stylized characters like the Disney and anime characters in your portfolio. Some might say its even more important. At the end of the day, those kinds of stylized characters are an abstraction, and if you haven't mastered the source of that abstraction, then you have no hope of making the correct decisions about silhouette, proportion, form, etc. when you are translating your source material to 3D.
    Thanks Brandon, I didn't dismiss their advice, I just wanted to verify how it applies to the job I'm aiming for with the experience I currently have.

At the moment what I have to work with are examples of candidates who took Scott Eatons course and have seen that initiative recognised when they applied for work at studios.
    Though the relevance of the actual course work to the workflow at the studio still eludes me when I look through their professional portfolios.

So far I'm seeing its relevance as a talking point and artists who have done the course have had positive experiences so that is a good sign. 

How did the coursework help in your professional work? I saw you did the course 10 years ago, so it might have changed since, do you feel the skills you've learned are relevant to the workflows you currently use at Facebook/Meta?

I would be interested in seeing more of your character work at Facebook/Meta and your experience as a character artist there.
    I am aware of meta avatars which had very mixed reception
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2022/08/21/mark-zuckerberg-upgraded-his-metaverse-avatar-after-the-entire-internet-laughed-at-him/?sh=7ba7d31d35a3

and the real time photorealistic avatars that they are using for VR videoconferencing which I am more interested in from a technical standpoint.
    https://www.9news.com.au/technology/photorealistic-avatar-of-mark-zuckerberg-interviewed-in-metaverse/da6cbd38-8173-40e2-a92f-526b6742db08

For the moment, I wanted to bring the workflow I'm using to a point where I can modify Scott Eatons course to use what I learn with the workflow.
    I am aiming to rejoin EA on the same project, and with the disney models I had meant to approach Gameloft who had approved of my artwork for a character artist position when they reached out to me at EA.

My working responsibilities at EA as an intermediate - senior character artist on FC would be to use their toolset and workflows on scanned player head geometry. I would ideally be placed more on finishing tasks but these would still be vetted by more senior artists.
    EA was also incorporating newer toolsets that I would have to learn, the approach is very tech-art oriented so similar to the workflow I'm using now.
    With Gameloft I'm not too sure about how they are approaching character art work on disney dreamlight valley but they do use an avatar character creation tool which is very similar to the tool I'm using. I don't currently know if they also create the licensed characters in studio and I'm mostly going on the portfolio of the artists currently working there and will contact them when I have updated and added to my disney style artwork.

Certainly I see merit in taking that course for my personal development but I'm still skeptical if the investment is relevant at the moment. 
    I do intend to to write to Scott Eaton and ask if the course would benefit me once I've upgraded my pieces. This would help me tailor the course to my needs.
    The way things stand, I can't really compete with candidates that have more published titles and more industry experience, so I'm working with the network I've built at EA and trying to tailor my portfolio to their request.
    I would also have an opportunity to take the course when I'm hired and have the company cover the cost if its considered relevant.

I do feel comfortable with making photoreal models, and the workflow and toolset has really help improving my efficiency in upgrading the models I have and creating new pieces.
    What I am still finding challenging is in redesigns of proven concept art in my interpretation (such as the Gamagori model) and how they are perceived by other artists.
    Certainly I take these on as experiments, it gives me more freedom to further refine the workflow I'm using and I do value the feedback I receive about the developments.

I also understand that these models certainly won't appeal to everyone, (like the Cami model) but taking the initiative still has merit.
    I don't feel that the models in their upgraded state would be a detriment to the overall merits of my portfolio, but I will have it curated by artists working at the studios I'm applying to before I make an application.

It will likely have a more realistic focus, with disney style since that's relevant to the companies and projects I want to be a part of. 

• Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR said:

Thanks Brandon, I didn't dismiss their advice, I just wanted to verify how it applies to the job I'm aiming for with the experience I currently have.

At the moment what I have to work with are examples of candidates who took Scott Eatons course and have seen that initiative recognised when they applied for work at studios.
    Though the relevance of the actual course work to the workflow at the studio still eludes me when I look through their professional portfolios.

So far I'm seeing its relevance as a talking point and artists who have done the course have had positive experiences so that is a good sign. 

How did the coursework help in your professional work? I saw you did the course 10 years ago, so it might have changed since, do you feel the skills you've learned are relevant to the workflows you currently use at Facebook/Meta?

I guess I'm not exactly sure what job you're actually aiming for. As far as I can tell from your portfolio and the posts I've been able to read, you're looking for work as a character artist. Simply put, if you're making characters, you need to know anatomy. Based on your portfolio, and some of the work I've seen you post around here, it is clear that you do still have many blind spots when it comes to that subject. Any senior artist going through your work is going to see that, as well, and will pass on your portfolio for a candidate that can demonstrate that they have those skills.

This isn't just a talking point, this is a bare minimum, baseline level of skill that I would expect from any potential hire.

I haven't worked at every studio in the industry, but I suspect that the heavily automated workflow that you describe at your current studio is NOT representative of the typical pipeline for the majoritys. And as far as I can tell, tools like MetaHuman are not being used for high profile, hero assets, not to mention anything even remotely stylized.

As for how the coursework pertains to my professional work. Every character I have ever worked on was at some point sculpted in ZBrush. And with every single one, decisions that I have had to make about form/shape/proportion/silhouette have all been informed by my knowledge of anatomy. This includes everything from bare chested, loincloth-clad humans, fully clothed/armored creatures, highly realistic, super stylized, and everything in between.

This also goes for decisions I have had to make about how to paint textures, or create topology for proper deformation. As well as feedback that I am expected to give to my colleagues. Its simply a non-negotiable part of the job requirements.

Scott Eaton's courses aren't the only places you can learn anatomy, but at this point they are still the best I have experienced. I originally took his Anatomy for Artists, and Digital Figure Sculpture courses a decade ago, and I still use the knowledge that I gained there every single day. Since then I have taken several other courses as continued learning/refreshers, include a couple from CGMA, and I still maintain that Scott Eaton's courses are the best. I very recently took his Portraiture and Facial Anatomy course, and again, would highly recommend it to any character artist serious about improving their work.

NikhilR said:

I would be interested in seeing more of your character work at Facebook/Meta and your experience as a character artist there.
    I am aware of meta avatars which had very mixed reception
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2022/08/21/mark-zuckerberg-upgraded-his-metaverse-avatar-after-the-entire-internet-laughed-at-him/?sh=7ba7d31d35a3

and the real time photorealistic avatars that they are using for VR videoconferencing which I am more interested in from a technical standpoint.
    https://www.9news.com.au/technology/photorealistic-avatar-of-mark-zuckerberg-interviewed-in-metaverse/da6cbd38-8173-40e2-a92f-526b6742db08

I have nothing to do with the Metaverse/Horizon Worlds avatars. I am a Senior Character Artist at Sanzaru Games, which is a studio within Meta. We just shipped Asgard's Wrath 2, and before that I worked on the original AW, and Marvel Powers United VR. If you google any of those, you're likely to see some of my work. I'm certainly not the greatest character artist on the planet, but I do have enough experience to recognize when other's are dispensing good advice.
    NikhilR said:

For the moment, I wanted to bring the workflow I'm using to a point where I can modify Scott Eatons course to use what I learn with the workflow.
    I am aiming to rejoin EA on the same project, and with the disney models I had meant to approach Gameloft who had approved of my artwork for a character artist position when they reached out to me at EA.

My working responsibilities at EA as an intermediate - senior character artist on FC would be to use their toolset and workflows on scanned player head geometry. I would ideally be placed more on finishing tasks but these would still be vetted by more senior artists.
    EA was also incorporating newer toolsets that I would have to learn, the approach is very tech-art oriented so similar to the workflow I'm using now.
    With Gameloft I'm not too sure about how they are approaching character art work on disney dreamlight valley but they do use an avatar character creation tool which is very similar to the tool I'm using. I don't currently know if they also create the licensed characters in studio and I'm mostly going on the portfolio of the artists currently working there and will contact them when I have updated and added to my disney style artwork.

Certainly I see merit in taking that course for my personal development but I'm still skeptical if the investment is relevant at the moment. 
    I do intend to to write to Scott Eaton and ask if the course would benefit me once I've upgraded my pieces. This would help me tailor the course to my needs.
    The way things stand, I can't really compete with candidates that have more published titles and more industry experience, so I'm working with the network I've built at EA and trying to tailor my portfolio to their request.
    I would also have an opportunity to take the course when I'm hired and have the company cover the cost if its considered relevant.

I do feel comfortable with making photoreal models, and the workflow and toolset has really help improving my efficiency in upgrading the models I have and creating new pieces.
    What I am still finding challenging is in redesigns of proven concept art in my interpretation (such as the Gamagori model) and how they are perceived by other artists.
    Certainly I take these on as experiments, it gives me more freedom to further refine the workflow I'm using and I do value the feedback I receive about the developments.

I also understand that these models certainly won't appeal to everyone, (like the Cami model) but taking the initiative still has merit.
    I don't feel that the models in their upgraded state would be a detriment to the overall merits of my portfolio, but I will have it curated by artists working at the studios I'm applying to before I make an application.

It will likely have a more realistic focus, with disney style since that's relevant to the companies and projects I want to be a part of. 

I think you're getting too caught up with proprietary tools and "workflows". Those things can vary drastically between studios, and can be picked up quickly. Don't worry about tailoring the course to your needs, that's not what this is about. At the end of the day this is about creating appealing characters, and no amount of knowledge of tool sets or workflows or pipelines is going to help you with that right now. None of the critiques you are getting have anything to do with any of that. This is about a foundation in the fundamentals of art and design. If you want to make characters, that starts with anatomy. After that, I would suggest working on your presentation, and for that learning about composition, lighting, and photography would be a good next step.

• Rima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rima greentooth
    I don't mean to be rude, but....Is it really okay that most of the time you talk about this workflow, and tools to automate stuff, it just seems to be tech to bypass having to develop your own skill? If it works in work, it works in work, but that aside, do you not have the drive to just be better, yourself, regardless of what workflow you're using?

Honestly, I don't understand this thread. Every time you receive advice from people even I can tell know what they're talking about, you throw it out because you're only interested in advice and learning that you can fit into what you're already doing, instead of taking what you learn from those and using it to lift up anything you do.

I don't understand any character artist who's going to pass up doubling down on their anatomy in favour of automated tools and "workflow". At the end of the day, I'm sure you can't rely on the workflow you're used to at the moment to be present anywhere you go, so if you're relying on that so hard, you're probably sabotaging yourself for other opportunities. It seems to me you're trying hard to optimise yourself just to get back into EA and with the workflow and tools you used there, at the expense of your overall skill, based on how frequently you mention it and rely on it as proof that they're workable.

Let's say you have two artists. One has a rock-solid core knowledge of anatomy. One has pretty decent knowledge, and patches their holes with extra tools. Which one would you hire? The one you can rely on no matter what they're using because they know it properly themselves, or the one that's focused more on using specific tools? I've never been in a position to hire, but I know who I would choose.

The next intake for Scott Eaton's figure sculpting course starts tomorrow; I'll let you know how it is, but by all accounts, I expect it to be extremely useful.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter

I guess I'm not exactly sure what job you're actually aiming for. As far as I can tell from your portfolio and the posts I've been able to read, you're looking for work as a character artist. Simply put, if you're making characters, you need to know anatomy. Based on your portfolio, and some of the work I've seen you post around here, it is clear that you do still have many blind spots when it comes to that subject. Any senior artist going through your work is going to see that, as well, and will pass on your portfolio for a candidate that can demonstrate that they have those skills.

This isn't just a talking point, this is a bare minimum, baseline level of skill that I would expect from any potential hire.

I haven't worked at every studio in the industry, but I suspect that the heavily automated workflow that you describe at your current studio is NOT representative of the typical pipeline for the majoritys. And as far as I can tell, tools like MetaHuman are not being used for high profile, hero assets, not to mention anything even remotely stylized.

I am aiming for a job making photorealistic 3D characters. 
    Though I am updating my work based on feedback I received from senior artists at EA.
    I would of course apply first with EA since I have the best chance of being hired there. 
    The senior artists that evaluated my portfolio did so with the understanding of the workflow used at the studio and the kind of responsibility I would be assigned. 
    The workflow at EA is relevant to the workflow I'm using to upgrade my work. 
    Any other anatomy shortcomings I am addressing using feedback I'm receiving but I am working to prioritise efficiency using tech-art solutions that replicated the processes I used at the studio.

I don't believe that I haven't met the baseline level of skill, or else I wouldn't have been hired at EA since the art test assigned absolutely relied on reaching that skill.
    I didn't have any automated tools to do the art test back then. 

But the senior artists at EA are sensible not to reject a candidate just because they are seeing blind spots in anatomy work within a candidates portfolio.

Or they realise that these can be addressed through the job because they were hiring me at an associate level and I am required to learn. Actually everyone had to learn to adapt regardless of the level they were at of what their knowledge of fundamentals was. 
    The studio was very accomodating on this aspect, no one was expected to hit the ground running and junior hires were required to have the basic minimum knowledge of fundamentals as a foundation that could be built on.

For the intermediate/senior level that I am applying for now, it was recommended that I look into solutions to improve lighting, shaders and presentation.
    I felt it was efficient to find workflows that can make creating character art more efficient.
    There was also an emphasis on using scan geometry and hi resolution scan maps that I have added into my workflow.

Any other issues can be addressed on the job. A portfolio assessment isn't 1:1 with the responsibilities at work. So regardless of how optimal my anatomical knowledge might be, from a technical standpoint there are ways to address it depending on what is needed.

They do not want to see anatomy studies as part of portfolio work, though it is something I want to do more on during my free time. 
    But the way the workflow is set up, there is very little anatomy sculpting required. 
    Its more tweaking and adjustments and its very feedback based at every level, so while they do require me to make any corrections without much oversight, the process at work does allow for it and is used on a case to case basis.

As for how the coursework pertains to my professional work. Every character I have ever worked on was at some point sculpted in ZBrush. And with every single one, decisions that I have had to make about form/shape/proportion/silhouette have all been informed by my knowledge of anatomy. This includes everything from bare chested, loincloth-clad humans, fully clothed/armored creatures, highly realistic, super stylized, and everything in between.

This also goes for decisions I have had to make about how to paint textures, or create topology for proper deformation. As well as feedback that I am expected to give to my colleagues. Its simply a non-negotiable part of the job requirements.

Scott Eaton's courses aren't the only places you can learn anatomy, but at this point they are still the best I have experienced. I originally took his Anatomy for Artists, and Digital Figure Sculpture courses a decade ago, and I still use the knowledge that I gained there every single day. Since then I have taken several other courses as continued learning/refreshers, include a couple from CGMA, and I still maintain that Scott Eaton's courses are the best. I very recently took his Portraiture and Facial Anatomy course, and again, would highly recommend it to any character artist serious about improving their work.

This is also followed at EA, I did get to experience and learn about workflows used on Dragon Age, Apex Legends and the Iron Man Project at Motive all of which are based on achieving a balance between artistic quality and production efficiency which I've tried to adapt into my workflow.

EA also prioritises and invests heavily into tech solutions and outsourcing. For artists in junior to intermediate level, I wouldn't be making the decisions you specified, meaning while I would certainly use the knowledge I have to work at the expected level, there is considerable oversight from senior artists and the final result is very determined by more than just the quality the art arrives at.

I'm certainly not a complete beginner at anatomy, I've already crossed that threshold.

Thanks for your suggestions on scott eatons courses, I will try to incorporate them into my learning depending on the time I can spare. 
    I did do tutorials on anatomy fundamentals from ryan kingslien which added to my foundational knowledge of anatomy from dental school, so I have an understanding on both the artistic and scientific aspects of human anatomy with a focus on facial anatomy.

I'm not using these tools to do away with having to do anatomy as part of the character creation process.
    Like if you see the update on Gamagori here,
    https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2788357#Comment_2788357

I did have to use my anatomical knowledge to update the anatomy, what the tool does is make any decisions on form/shape/proportion/silhouette very flexible so I can choose to address any discrepencies as the need arises.

The workflow I followed before required me to get a near final highpoly sculpt and if I found errors in form/shape/proportion/silhouette while I was creating my low poly, I would have to go back to the sculpt and make required changes.

I felt this wasn't very efficient and this tool allows any changes at any part of the process to be very seamless and non destructuve.
    It also provides several presets and anatomical morphs that I can use to fine tune the result which is very similar to the plugins I used at EA.

It also helps me assess in real time how a slight change can dramatically affect the look, I just found a more efficient way to approach these changes to create work that certainly is a step up from what it used to be.

Appreciate your work at Sanzaru games, I wasn't aware of the studio though I had heard of the titles you've worked on.
    I do hope the artwork there can be carried over towards Meta avatars since when I saw you worked at facebook thats the first thing that came to mind.

Brandon.LaFrance said:

I think you're getting too caught up with proprietary tools and "workflows". Those things can vary drastically between studios, and can be picked up quickly. Don't worry about tailoring the course to your needs, that's not what this is about. At the end of the day this is about creating appealing characters, and no amount of knowledge of tool sets or workflows or pipelines is going to help you with that right now. None of the critiques you are getting have anything to do with any of that. This is about a foundation in the fundamentals of art and design. If you want to make characters, that starts with anatomy. After that, I would suggest working on your presentation, and for that learning about composition, lighting, and photography would be a good next step.

I didn't understand what you meant by "no amount of knowledge of tool sets or workflows or pipelines is going to help you with that right now"
    The toolsets and workflows were created with the objective of creating appealing characters, so using them does require an understanding of the fundamentals of art and design.
    They have also been built so that this knowledge doesn't have to be exceptional or rather as you use the tools you can increase your knowledge of fundamentals. 

Depending on feedback, I can make any adjustments more seamlessly. 
    Like if I was told to adjust the mouth, or eye distance and finer aspects of facial geometry, I can do that instantly. I don't have to go into the sculpt and adapt it. 
    I can blend the result I've created with exisiting presets and really fine tune the result. 
    The workflow also provides a  seamless integration of facial rigging, animation and expressions regardless of the adjustment made. 

It saves a lot of headache in going back and forth between multiple softwares and I highly recommend this workflow to other artists.

Of course the knowledge of conventional workflows is necessary to use these tools optimally, and I do have that knowledge, hence I am able to use it the way I do. 

• NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I don't mean to be rude, but....Is it really okay that most of the time you talk about this workflow, and tools to automate stuff, it just seems to be tech to bypass having to develop your own skill? If it works in work, it works in work, but that aside, do you not have the drive to just be better, yourself, regardless of what workflow you're using?

Honestly, I don't understand this thread. Every time you receive advice from people even I can tell know what they're talking about, you throw it out because you're only interested in advice and learning that you can fit into what you're already doing, instead of taking what you learn from those and using it to lift up anything you do.

I don't understand any character artist who's going to pass up doubling down on their anatomy in favour of automated tools and "workflow". At the end of the day, I'm sure you can't rely on the workflow you're used to at the moment to be present anywhere you go, so if you're relying on that so hard, you're probably sabotaging yourself for other opportunities. It seems to me you're trying hard to optimise yourself just to get back into EA and with the workflow and tools you used there, at the expense of your overall skill, based on how frequently you mention it and rely on it as proof that they're workable.

Let's say you have two artists. One has a rock-solid core knowledge of anatomy. One has pretty decent knowledge, and patches their holes with extra tools. Which one would you hire? The one you can rely on no matter what they're using because they know it properly themselves, or the one that's focused more on using specific tools? I've never been in a position to hire, but I know who I would choose.

The next intake for Scott Eaton's figure sculpting course starts tomorrow; I'll let you know how it is, but by all accounts, I expect it to be extremely useful.
    I'm not bypssing having to develop my own skill in favor of using tools and automated workflows.
    I chose to refine my character art creation process because I had the drive to be better.
    Just because I use the tools doesn't mean that I lack anatomy knowledge.
     If anything finding ways to patch any holes using relevant tools is an exercise in resourcefulness and its good that many AAA studios understand this to make their game development pipelines more efficient and transferrable between candidates with different skill sets.
    It really shouldn't come across that I am throwing out advice from anything I've said.
    I'm not saying that scott eatons course isn't useful, its just not something I consider high priority at the moment for the objective I've set.

And yes I am certainly optimising myself to get back to EA but that isn't at the expense of my overall skill. I recognise that I will have the opportunity to develop that skill throughout my career. 

I'm not sure how many character artists applying at the level I'm aiming at have a rock-solid core knowledge of anatomy or how relevant that really is within a portfolio assessment.
    Atleast from my experience its good to have a balance of anatomical knowledge and utilize any tools available for a more efficient workflow.

If my anatomy knowledge is assessed by seeing scott eatons course as a prerequisite which is then valued in the hiring process as a form of vetting then certainly I would likely lose out on opportunities but I'm not sure how fair this is.

Atleast I can say with absolute certainly that during my time at the studio interacting with character artists between various projects, there was considerable diversity between artists knowledge and execution of anatomy in character art. 

No artist considerered themselves as exceptional, but they were recognized for their skill level with regards to the responsibilities they would assigned and by and large the teams worked together to achieve the final result relying on each others strengths and identifying any weaknesses.

The only artist I could say were exceptional were the artists at Keos Masons, since as outsourcers they had complete control on the key character art requested by the studio at every step of the character creation pipeline. It is a level I aspire to but I'm not sure how realistic that objective is given my current situation.

EA certainly would love to have a dedicated artist at that skill level, though it is more cost effective to outsource this request from a budget perspective.

To your analogy about choosing between artists with different skill sets, if I had to choose between two artists, one having knowledge of hand painted realistic skin and the other a hybridised workflow using hi resolution scan maps for skin painting, both artists are valuable depending on the job and the time and budget alloted to the task.
    I can certainly value both those skills and the different approaches it takes to achieve the final result and would budget accordingly.

Its great you are taking the sculpting course, I'm sure it will be useful to you and look forward to hearing more about your experience. 

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    scott eaton deez nutsss

I'm kidding. Scott Eaton is great, I couldn't help myself

I have a few questions. Where is official widescreen support for Elden Ring? Why does Starfield have Mixed reviews (recently Mostly Negative) on Steam after being hyped up the whazoo? Why did Blizzard put their treasured IP on Steam, instead of working to make Battle.net a powerful competitor to Steam and Epic? Why does Monster Hunter World (and most if not all console ports) have terrible UI and controls for PC? What happened to Redfall? Is this an early April Fool's joke? Where's my breastmilk gone?

I'll give a hint. It's not because the artists are slacking, that's for sure
  • Eric Chadwick
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I know where the breastmilk is.. dm me

• Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    @NikhilR You're still doing it, man. I can't really respond to every single thing you wrote, but since you brought up your Gamagori update, these are the kinds of things people are talking about when they mention your gap in anatomical knowledge:

I've just highlighted the most glaring areas, and ignored the portrait completely. There are certainly more areas that could use more refinement. If your procedural tools can fix all of those things, I would certainly like to know where I can buy a license. Even if you think your job will be working entirely with scans, that will entail a lot of cleanup. You will have to fill in missing or corrupted data, and without a solid foundation, you won't be able to do that effectively.

You say you're looking for a role as a senior character artist that produces photo realistic characters. Well, a bunch of people that already have that job (and have been extremely successful at it) have taken their valuable time to give you advice on what you need to do to get there. You should listen to them.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    @NikhilR You're still doing it, man. I can't really respond to every single thing you wrote, but since you brought up your Gamagori update, these are the kinds of things people are talking about when they mention your gap in anatomical knowledge:

I've just highlighted the most glaring areas, and ignored the portrait completely. There are certainly more areas that could use more refinement. If your procedural tools can fix all of those things, I would certainly like to know where I can buy a license. Even if you think your job will be working entirely with scans, that will entail a lot of cleanup. You will have to fill in missing or corrupted data, and without a solid foundation, you won't be able to do that effectively.

You say you're looking for a role as a senior character artist that produces photo realistic characters. Well, a bunch of people that already have that job (and have been extremely successful at it) have taken their valuable time to give you advice on what you need to do to get there. You should listen to them.

The tool can be an asset to fixing these, here is where you can buy a license. There are many great tutorials on using it through Michael Pavlovich
    https://www.reallusion.com/character-creator/

You may need to purchase a morph pack that targets specific musculature if you want to be really precise. 

Certainly working with scans does entail a lot of cleanup, but it also comes with taking creative liberties depending on relevance, for instance will the audience be aware of these discrepancies depending on their anatomical knowledge and how does implementing those changes impact the reception of the product.
    I can certainly address these areas, at some point I do want to create realistic sculptures, so refining my anatomical skill for that task could certainly use more training which the resources suggested here should be good for.

I'm looking for a mid-senior role at EA, and these changes are being made with the requirements mentioned by the senior artists and leads I worked with. 
    For other studios, I can see them being more particular on these details and I still do hope that they consider my overall profile and portfolio when they decide if they should proceed with my application, but I'll get it vetted by character artists at the studios I am applying to first to better understand their needs.

One approach I liked at severals studios was that they would have a model evaluation QA team apprise a model that had less than obvious discrepencies to understand if it impacted the play experience, so in that sense if the discrepency wasn't impactful to the reception, they would still give the model the go ahead since the priority was the product and revisions could be made in future patches as budget became available.

There can be issues with this approach (for example with Mass Effect Andromeda), but it really depends since the financial targets they hit depend on several aspects of production and marketing. 
    I feel it is important to think in this bigger picture given the corporate nature of the game art industry

The advice is appreciated, I would prefer to approach the changes more precisely and apply the tool in making them. The model still needs a few skinning adjustments so that would help me see how these anatomical issues affect deformation.
    The model does use scan geometry and is exaggerated in some areas, I'll compare the areas you identified with other scan geometry examples to better understand where the shortcomings are.

I don't fully understand how the professional success of a senior artist would correlate to anatomy advice with regards to the hiring process.
    Several senior artists were laid off last year regardless of the success they had gained so I am continuing to evaluate how much video game studios actually value the performance, skill and experienceof their employees when it comes to running a business and shipping a product.
    It doesn't impact my motivation to improve on anatomy, I think that is a lifelong endeavor and I'm just looking prioritse what to focus on when it comes to being hired at a studio.

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I'm noticing there is a lot of fixation about what EA does, their process and getting hired there again... however there is always a possibility, due to things outside of your control, like timing or them deciding to go with outsourcing in favor of contractors, that means it just might not work out. Games has been hit hard by the layoffs that are STILL happening, it's no longer a feast like it was during the pandemic, where budgets were growing, teams were growing and there was a lot more space to hire people... We're back in the famine-era of the before-times, probably even worse because of all of the people who were let go... There are even more people trying to get the few jobs that are out there, and the pool doesn't seem like it's getting much bigger. It seems kind of unwise to put all of your eggs in on basket, and fixate how one company does things, when we're trying to tell you that: hey you have some core skills that seem like they could use some polish that are more art-centric than tech, it's probably worth investing in those skills if you want to give yourself the highest chance of getting employed, again especially if the EA thing doesn't work out.

You also really have to remember that most of the time you're seen by a recruiter first. There are some out there with a good amount of knowledge of the process, but most of them really aren't as artistically attuned to the process as you would think, and they certainly don't know all of the nitty-gritty of the tech details. You have to be able to create work that visually hits a bar that is good enough to pass you along to hiring managers, then you usually get people who are looking at your process in more depth (not always because of time)

Appealing art triumphs all, process is adaptable and greatly varies by studio and by project. I worked in outsourcing previously with so many different projects, some caring about technical details way more than others (some literally did not care so long as there was geo in the right places). However no matter which project I work on they want you to make the thing look closest to the concept or reference that you're handed, that is a hardcore fact at the end of the day. I think focusing on the artistic side and learning to let your process and tools be adaptable will greatly benefit you.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looking at the portfolio, this is really too old
    You need to delete everything that is not the new Samourai honestly and make more new pieces
    Its really not helping you showing these 2018 characters, its just hurting you

Make a couple new ones and your page is in good shape but you gotta let go of the old stuff
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Are you actively trying to get a job or the opposite?

@Alemja hit the nail on the head with  "Appealing art triumphs all, process is adaptable and greatly varies by studio and by project."

Make great work , get the job. Simple.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I think it's far more interesting to question the standards you're being held to than to try and meet them - I also enjoy pissing into the wind. 

Employers want good fundamentals because even the best tools are worthless if you don't understand what you're trying to make.