Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need advice on my portfolio.

GGGL
node
Offline / Send Message
GGGL node
Hello everyone, I need advice on how to improve my portfolio, I've been applying for a hard surface weapon/prop artist position in multiple studios for the past months without any concrete feedback, so I need advice on how to improve my portfolio or in applying for the position, any advice is appreciated, Thanks you.

Artstation : g-3l.artstation.com

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Solid work!

although maybe imo the ornamental etched pistol with attached eotech red dot sight needs slight retouching, I mean high frequency detail/shaped edge wear dosen't need to be applied along every hard edge because seasoned weapon artists especially will definitely notice your 'variable' observation skills?! Perhaps take another look at Evan Herbert's texturing theory article I'd posted on one of your wips.

Rule of thumb there, is real-world refs where you'll determine best practicable knowledge how too accurately desern contact wear plus weathering, as well.

As for the lack of response, industry wide there's certainly a low vacancy rate currently but that's fairly normal to experience peaks-n'-trouphs, even a few senior people are struggling a bit, at least the ones I keep in touch with however your best bet is to persevere, after all it's only been months, so far.
  • GGGL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GGGL node
    sacboi said:
    Solid work!

although maybe imo the ornamental etched pistol with attached eotech red dot sight needs slight retouching, I mean high frequency detail/shaped edge wear dosen't need to be applied along every hard edge because seasoned weapon artists especially will definitely notice your 'variable' observation skills?! Perhaps take another look at Evan Herbert's texturing theory article I'd posted on one of your wips.

Rule of thumb there, is real-world refs where you'll determine best practicable knowledge how too accurately desern contact wear plus weathering, as well.

As for the lack of response, industry wide there's certainly a low vacancy rate currently but that's fairly normal to experience peaks-n'-trouphs, even a few senior people are struggling a bit, at least the ones I keep in touch with however your best bet is to persevere, after all it's only been months, so far.
    Thanks for always responding, this alleviates some of my worries, seem like improving and adding to my portfolio and waiting is the best thing to do right now, Thanks.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Your portfolio looks good.

Modeling is solid. The edges on your high-polys are too sharp though.

Your textures leave room for improvement.
    Right now you are mostly using base materials with a generic cloud texture. The edge wear and dirt looks generic too. Think more about how objects are used and where edges are getting damaged. The dirt will always accumulate in the corners, not on flat surfaces, because you simply can't clean the corners. Paint is worn off in places where the object is carried around.
    Add more contrast in the roughness map. For example on the radio. Places where people touch become greasy and other places with dust tend to be very rough. The trick is to look at each surface and texture it accordingly. Not just the object as a whole.