Home Technical Talk

XGen Density Mask Issues

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
SpectralFog polycounter lvl 4
Hi all!

Trying to create a hairstyle in XGen and having an issue occur where it's not creating a ptex file when I try to make a density mask and is giving me the "failed to find" error. I've made sure the project is correctly set and that the file path does not include any spaces. I'm using a separate 'scalp' mesh and have made sure it's in the correct UV coordinates and given it a default lambert material. I also made sure to delete mesh history before starting just in case and have tried to use the paint tool settings to assign/edit the mask.
Visually, when I click on the paint option it gives me the paint brush but turns the scalp mesh invisible until I cancel out of it. The specifics of the error and the visual glitch(?) are in the screenshot below (please excuse the state of his hair, I've been trying to find a fix for the past couple of days and have been more haphazard with guide placement just so I have something to troubleshoot with).

I'm not sure whether I'm just missing something or have done something silly to make it do this, so if anyone has any suggestions for fixes I'm all ears.

Cheers!

Replies

• SpectralFog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I troubleshoot this further I'm gonna note down here anything I manage to figure out partly for future reference and so that if anyone has a similar issue maybe it'll be helpful.

Since I last posted I tried resetting Maya to default preferences as that was one of the last suggested things I could find online, which unfortunately didn't fix the issue.
    I have managed to determine that the issue is something to do with the model itself as I am able to create a density mask for an XGen groom on a sphere in the same project file. So hopefully it's a simple fix... 

• SpectralFog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I figured out what was wrong but it's honestly such an embarrassingly silly thing that I missed - my very tired brain didn't think to check what would happen if I hid the head mesh... so I've spent a few hours of my free time over the past few days trying to troubleshoot something that was actually working as intended (though at least it is working) and it's not something I'm going to forget to check in future. 

If you read this, thanks for coming on this little journey with me.
    I should probably get some sleep...
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Done that several times. And its taking hours to find out the object isnt hidden.